Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:04 PM

5 posts, read 90,070 times

Advertisements

Hi, Anyone have any suggestions on any small coastal towns/cities in California? Looking for beautiful mountain views with an affordable, safe, and liberal community. Wanting to escape the conservative midwest and move the family out west, just researching right now. Appreciate all feedback I can get! Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 11:30 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,027 times
Hmmm........that's going to be somewhere north of San Francisco.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:58 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonbrifam View Post
Hi, Anyone have any suggestions on any small coastal towns/cities in California? Looking for beautiful mountain views with an affordable, safe, and liberal community. Wanting to escape the conservative midwest and move the family out west, just researching right now. Appreciate all feedback I can get! Thanks so much!!
What about a job? Where?

How many kids? Ages?

What is affordable? For what? (SFR? Townhome? Apartment? etc.)

Old 10-20-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What about a job? Where?

How many kids? Ages?

What is affordable? For what? (SFR? Townhome? Apartment? etc.)
My husband is in electronic engineering. We have young kids. Looking for a single family home. Thanx!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:42 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
affordable and coastal generally arent together in CA

what price range?

affordable means you're most likely looking north of SF to fit what you want, but the EE jobs are in or south of SF and in southern california, where the cheapest coastal town i can think of is oceanside, which is full of marines and has a few hills nearby. marines arent the most liberal folk

Old 10-20-2008, 01:06 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,033 times
Affordable and Coastal views do not go hand in hand here in CA. Pick one.

Most views of the ocean are beautiful.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Affordable and coastal describes McKinleyville to a tee. You can buy a new home for under $300,000, some as low as $245,000. McK is directly on the coast and the mountains are only 5 to 20 miles inland and are very accesable. I live less than a quarter mile from the beach. Now jobs are a different story here, our job market has been in the tanks for a while now, with fishing pretty much gone and the logging with it. Now that our Mervynns is closing and so has the pulp mill, the hit is even harder. I would suggest that your spouse could commute to Redding ( 100,000 plus-minus people) but it is 143 miles east ( 3 hour drive on mountain roads ). I have a few clients that came up to visit for a week or so and ended up getting a job here. It is very beautiful up here, the air is clean and so is the water. There are only 130,000 people in Humboldt county. The local mountains have snow from usually November to sometimes as late as May.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:59 PM

371 posts, read 1,822,793 times
The most affordable coastal areas are, as one poster said, north of San Francisco, in fairly small, isolated rural towns. With that said, the entire CA coast is beautiful.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Affordable and Coastal views do not go hand in hand here in CA. Pick one.

Most views of the ocean are beautiful.
Hi thanks for the reply...
I know, if we could be able to drive to the ocean that would work too...I guess the more mountains the better and of course electronic engineering career ops are important too.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:03 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonbrifam View Post
Hi thanks for the reply...
I know, if we could be able to drive to the ocean that would work too...I guess the more mountains the better and of course electronic engineering career ops are important too.
It would help the forum if there was more basic information provided such as price range, type of house. We can post all day about how pretty the ocean is, what January weather is like, etc. and it won't do you much good.

Have you performed the basic analysis about what you can afford based on down payment, debt, and cash flow? You have kids; Are you budgeting in max 401(k) and Roth IRA and college savings accounts?

Vandenberg AFB and it's environs might work for employment. The surrounding area isn't cheap (I checked there myself.) Whether a place is liberal or conservative is almost irrelevant if you need a job; besides, I don't think it makes all that much difference anyway.

Last edited by Charles; 10-20-2008 at 08:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California