Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times

Advertisements

Seems like you can't watch TV these days without seeing commercials for the propositions (Seriously, every other commercial on the news is for proposition) Just curious how many people are voting for the propositions that require bonds to be sold, namely:

Prop 1A
Prop 3
Prop 6
Prop 10
Prop 12

Personally, I don't understand how a state with a 15 billion deficit (and growly rapidly) is going to be able to pay the bonds off without raising taxes at some point. I'll likely vote "no" on all of these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:53 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
I'm voting no on all of them. There is no need for new spending right now. If they want to pay for this stuff, how about we cut elsewhere.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:56 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,902 times
I would vote no on all of them except 1A. I really want the high speed rail.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 AM

136 posts, read 548,900 times
I voted no on all of them. The high speed rail sounds great, until you read that it will cost us billions before a single piece of track is laid. The cost is prohibitive, it's just unrealistic right now.
When my family is low on cash, we stop spending. Our state needs to learn how to do the same.
I really hope voters look at the situation carefully before voting, we need to cut spending and get our state out of the red, not add to the debt.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:31 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
I would vote no on all of them except 1A. I really want the high speed rail.
I'm with Bigdave on this one. I'm voting no on all of them except 1A. I travel the I-5 frequently, and the congestion out in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley is pretty bad. We'll need rail eventually, better to do it now rather than 20 years from now when land acquisition costs will be even higher.

And as for Prop 12.... Vote no. Veterans already have their Federal VA loan. There is no need to add some small bond issue which won't apply to most veterans and which most of them don't even know exists. All it does is provide a special benefit to a small group that is 'in the know.' And I say this as a veteran. I am not a SF Bay Area Code Pink radical. Voting No on this is not a slap at veterans, just as voting no on Prop 3 is not a slap at sick kids.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:43 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
I voted no on all of them too. 1A especially makes no sense.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:53 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,155,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I'm with Bigdave on this one. I'm voting no on all of them except 1A. I travel the I-5 frequently, and the congestion out in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley is pretty bad. We'll need rail eventually, better to do it now rather than 20 years from now when land acquisition costs will be even higher.
You don't need to currently drive. There is already an Amtrak that goes between all the major cities. I have taken it a number of times, it takes just a bit longer than driving. But you can easily work as their are electrical sockets. If you want speed then you can travel by air.

What exactly does a high speed rail give us that we don't already have? Also, I waste way more time on the highways in city traffic than I do when I travel between cities. If you're going to spend the money I would imagine you'd get a much better bang for your buck by spending it on improving city level public transit.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:05 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Seems like you can't watch TV these days without seeing commercials for the propositions (Seriously, every other commercial on the news is for proposition) Just curious how many people are voting for the propositions that require bonds to be sold, namely:

Prop 1A
Prop 3
Prop 6
Prop 10
Prop 12

Personally, I don't understand how a state with a 15 billion deficit (and growly rapidly) is going to be able to pay the bonds off without raising taxes at some point. I'll likely vote "no" on all of these.
I agree, this is not the time to be voting for things that will put the state deeper in debt, I'm voting no for anything that costs more money, it's just not the right time.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:15 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:

Prop 1A
Prop 3
Prop 6
Prop 10
Prop 12

At this point, I think I'm voting Yes on 1A and 3, but No on 6, 10, and 12.

For 1A, I feel like we need to move towards more public transportation, especially in Southern and Central California after experiencing the awesome public transportation in Northern California. I think it will help in the long run if people cut down on driving even if it takes awhile.

For Prop 3, I think it hit home for me because I had childhood cancer and I think it's important, if costly, to make sure to provide extra care for children.

For Prop 6, I'm completely opposed to it. Millions of dollars to fight gangs? Like someone else said, we might as well shout at the rain. Plus, anything with "victims' rights" in the title is going to screw up the justice system. Trust me, my mom is a prosecutor turned judge and she told me that victims already have a huge impact on sentencing. Most of the time they get to testify, have a say during the sentencing portion of the trial, and write victim impact statements. It's a waste of money.

For Prop 10, I was kind of neutral because the California Democratic Party came out neutral but the Sierra Club was reluctantly opposed and I found out that T. Boone Pickens was a main supporter and contributor and it would give his company all the money and power to the exclusion of other companies which I think is a step back rather than a step forward. Plus, I hate T. Boone Pickens for what he did to Senator Kerry's war record during 2004. He and his ilk just disgust me.

For Prop 12, I was going to vote yes but as my dad pointed out, it's not the state's job to take care of veterans, it's the federal government's job and they should have to do it instead of making states foot the bill.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Quote:
You don't need to currently drive. There is already an Amtrak that goes between all the major cities. I have taken it a number of times, it takes just a bit longer than driving. But you can easily work as their are electrical sockets. If you want speed then you can travel by air.

What exactly does a high speed rail give us that we don't already have? Also, I waste way more time on the highways in city traffic than I do when I travel between cities. If you're going to spend the money I would imagine you'd get a much better bang for your buck by spending it on improving city level public transit.
Only if you want to ride the bus. The train for me only goes from San Francisco to Bakersfield but if I wanted to go to San Diego I'd have to take the bus for part of the journey and no thank you. The buses in San Francisco are fine but the Amtrak buses are cramped and the last time I was on one there was a guy sitting in front of me talking on his cell phone for all of the thirty minute trip from the Ferry Building to Emeryville and he was even talking about how he was driving drunk the previous night. The buses suck and the trains are slow. It takes me SIX, yeah SIX, freaking hours to get 288 miles from Emeryville to Bakersfield. It's brutal. And I generally either need or want to go home from school at least once a month. So that's six hours there and six hours back. Some people need this rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California