Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 05:23 AM

31 posts, read 39,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Exactly...not one of the naysayers can come up with a straight answer to my simple question.

The below info is from this link California | Tax Foundation

California's State and Local Tax Burden Above National Average

California's 2010 tax burden of 11.23% ranks 4th highest out of 50 states, and is above the national average of 9.9%. California's taxpayers pay $4934 per capita in state and local taxes.

And I will post this link one more time California Income Tax Brackets 2013

Just put in 100K with 20K of detuctions for a single filer and you see you are paying approx 5% in CA State Income Taxes.

Nice when you can back up what you say.
1. Well, from an arch-conservative point of view the problem is that you live in CA at all.

2. From the arch liberal perspective you have to much money left, and it's poor financial planning on the states behalf.

3. From an investors perspective, you aren't invested in the right tax instruments, and whatever else tax dodges they utilize.

4. And the average middle class Californian might think you are doing ok, but would recommend scouring the tax code for a deduction or 2 that you might be missing.

I think that covers it well enough.

My personal opinion is number 4 in your scenario.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParleyVous View Post
1. Well, from an arch-conservative point of view the problem is that you live in CA at all.

2. From the arch liberal perspective you have to much money left, and it's poor financial planning on the states behalf.

3. From an investors perspective, you aren't invested in the right tax instruments, and whatever else tax dodges they utilize.

4. And the average middle class Californian might think you are doing ok, but would recommend scouring the tax code for a deduction or 2 that you might be missing.

I think that covers it well enough.

My personal opinion is number 4 in your scenario.
Not very helpful but thanks for trying.

Here is the tax credit list for CA and none are applicable.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/credits.shtml

It seems to me that many of you guys are either cheating on your taxes here or you don't really understand the CA tax system. It would not surprise me one bit. Since moving here the mantra from many seems to be to take and get as much as you can from the government for doing nothing. Let other people pay my way through life. It is a very prominent mindset that I noticed as soon as I moved here.

I find it odd that people keep jumping on the poor financial planning wagon. I am not sure why some think that contributing 20K a year towards retirement is considered poor financial planning.

I would love to hear the tax credits of those who file as a single person with zero dependents claim that enables them to hardly pay into the state income tax.

And I am not talking about business owners.

Last edited by TVC15; 05-15-2013 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:

It seems to me that many of you guys are either cheating on your taxes here or you don't really understand the CA tax system. It would not surprise me one bit. Since moving here the mantra from many seems to be to take and get as much as you can from the government for doing nothing. Let other people pay my way through life. It is a very prominent mindset that I noticed as soon as I moved here.

I find it odd that people keep jumping on the poor financial planning wagon. I am not sure why some think that contributing 20K a year towards retirement is considered poor financial planning.

I would love to hear the tax credits of those who file as a single person with zero dependents claim that enables them to hardly pay into the state income tax.

The point isn't that people do or don't pay income taxes in California ... nor whether they pay higher than another state ... the POINT is, the DIFFERENCES from any one state to any other are mostly pretty small -- and always relative to what a person's lifestyle priorities are.

If your lifestyle priorities are: paying the least in taxes, even though the difference is nickels and dimes, then go find that deep pleasure (???) over yonder ... don't come to or stay in California.

If your lifestyle priorities are: outdoor recreation, coastal Mediterranean climate, or mountain skiing climate, or dramatic coastal hiking, or desert adventures, combined with cosmopolitan pleasures of world-class cities, interactivity with an highly educated, eclectic mix of cultures, and so forth -- well, you might consider California worth the extra small difference -- as far as the taxes issue goes.

For example, let's consider C-D poster, TVC15: she comes from Texas ... she says she has a good, well-paid job and can work anywhere in the country, including back in Texas, for comparable salary. She complains constantly about her new state's politics, economy, social mindset, and more. Yet she stays -- and pays what she claims is a premium to be here. California is THAT important to her. Otherwise she would go back to Texas, which place she claims is vastly more enlightened and cheaper and superior in other ways.

So there you go. California magic at work. Worth the extra 2% or 3% apparently.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Again Null just because you think something...does not mean that it is.

You are way off on all accounts of my life and what I think.

But go right ahead and be proud living off of the government dole and being angry at those who don't see this as something to be proud of.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Again Null just because you think something...does not mean that it is.
Actually, it does mean that.

Quote:
You are way off on all accounts of my life and what I think.
In what way? You are not working? Or your job isn't well paid? Or you can't work anywhere else the same, as you have claimed?

Or that you don't constantly complain about the state of California's politics, economy, and more here on this forum?

Quote:
But go right ahead and be proud living off of the government dole and being angry at those who don't see this as something to be proud of.
Please explain how I live off the government dole. I am older than you and have worked many more years than you and contributed way more than you to family, state, and nation in every aspect of life. What "dole" am I living off? Define "dole" please. You don't mean earned retirement, do you?

Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 AM

31 posts, read 39,471 times
Quote:

Well, ok. I tried to provide differing perspectives on how "bad financial planning" might be considered by other people.

But since mind numbing speficicity is required I shall provide it:

It is clear from your example that you are missing out on the Married, Filing Jointly Standard Deduction. As that is a benefit our society provides, that could be considered as "bad financial planning" by some people.

It is of course your choice not to be married.

However you are missing out on fully half of the deduction otherwise possible, my dear.

I thought we were all aware of all standard deductions, and could consider that not being married is a penalty under the present tax code. I overestimated the audience, won't happen again.

https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/faq/net/902.shtml

Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Well, ok. I tried to provide differing perspectives on how "bad financial planning" might be considered by other people.

It is clear from your example that you are missing out on the Married, Filing Jointly Standard Deduction. As that is a benefit our society provides, that could be considered as "bad financial planning" by some people.

However you are missing out on fully half of the deduction otherwise possible, my dear.

I thought we were all aware of all standard deductions, and could consider that not being married is a penalty under the present tax code. I overestimated the audience, won't happen again.

Well, while what you point out is obviously true, fact is some people just couldn't find someone to marry them no matter if they tried. Just sayin'.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:

Wow just wow. With the standard deductions plus 20K in retirement contributions... a person who makes 100K or more with zero dependents will pay approx. 5% to the state of CA.

Now are you suggesting that people should get married so they can pay less in taxes? Wow just WOW! That is truly mind numbing insanity!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:13 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well, while what you point out is obviously true, fact is some people just couldn't find someone to marry them no matter if they tried. Just sayin'.
Yeah. True enough brotherman. Then again some of us know that it ain't worth the deduction. Just sayin'

Old 05-15-2013, 11:15 AM

21,735 posts, read 16,341,054 times
Quote:
Wow just wow. With the standard deductions plus 20K in retirement contributions... a person who makes 100K or more with zero dependents will pay approx. 5% to the state of CA.

Now are you suggesting that people should get married so they can pay less in taxes? Wow just WOW! That is truly mind numbing insanity!
I agree. Marriage is insanity. For any reason.

But I don't think that is what he was saying. I think he was just pointing out that was one way to skin the cat as an example. Personally I find that kind of cat skinning too cruel. To me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California