Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2013, 08:05 AM

347 posts, read 314,890 times

Advertisements

Gary, Indiana Revisited

Gary, Indiana
A place I have never been
But your little poem
Makes me wish to be a visitin'
Sounds so lovely
Almost transcadental
that I will make trip
not inter-continental
to visit and watch the Hoosiers play
Basketball, in between Harvest of hay
For surely Gary, Indiana
is like I watched
in that great story, Hoosiers
of small-town basketball
Conquering all
In that great sport
played through the Fall
as the leaves turn
and fall off the trees
I am surprised Harold
Gary that you would ever leaf
Such a wonderful place
to be in Hawaii
so I say to you, Aloha, bye, bye
Hmm, now I want a mai tai
Hey, Nullgeo
Do pretty maidens greet you off plane
and do the hula while shaking their mains?
In Gary, Indiana that is
I wish to know
before I fly off
on the BB censored.
Oh by the way
the poem is most excellent
righteous and gnarly
Which is appropriate
as Harold is from Gnarly

OT: I am still from Washington.

Last edited by bountybligh; 05-18-2013 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 08:37 AM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
The real issue is -- are you getting what you're paying for in CA? I live in Manhattan, and pay dearly for it. Could I pay less in Alabama? Sure. Would I move there? A thousand times no.

Tax burden alone, especially between CA and TX, states that both have their freedom days in April, seem kinda silly for us May boys (NY).

Old 05-18-2013, 09:57 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Gary, Indiana!
What a wonderful name,
Named for Elbert Gary of judiciary fame.
Gary, Indiana, as a Shakespeare would say,
Trips along softly on the tongue this way--
Gary, Indiana, Gary Indiana, Gary, Indiana,
Let me say it once again.
Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana,
That's the town that "knew me when."
If you'd like to have a logical explanation
How I happened on this elegant syncopation,
I will say without a moment of hesitation
There is just one place
That can light my face.
Gary, Indiana,
Gary Indiana,
Not Louisiana, Paris, France, New York, or Rome, but--
Gary, Indiana,
Gary, Indiana,
Gary Indiana,
My home sweet home.

Gary, Indiana by
Harold

hahahahhahahah wow that's honestly the best you can come up with. Im sure Stockton would be proud of you guys. oh what about Oakland too?
running to the most run down city in a state and then try to paint the entire state with that brush................... And I thought ive seen it all. Guess not.
Ya this is so run down..................................... Not

Old 05-18-2013, 10:09 AM

347 posts, read 314,890 times
Broad Ripples

He posted lyrics of song
But I often rhyme along
I offer this in recompense
to try to mend broken fence
for surely his posted lyrics
caused ripples wide
for you to leap
into fratricide (or cyanide, your choice dearie)
as Gary is widely known
as a home of murderous scions
and whose to say he's not from Gary
as he posted lyrics not merry?
Now Ripples are often swalllowed up
By giants waves, as you bang your tin cup
Take thee back to Indianapolis
as we trip the day, fantastic
He did not comment on state Indiana
your broad ripples seem to contain static
For the signals do seem crossed
As you falsely interpret
to your loss.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:46 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
hahahahhahahah wow that's honestly the best you can come up with. Im sure Stockton would be proud of you guys. oh what about Oakland too?
running to the most run down city in a state and then try to paint the entire state with that brush................... And I thought ive seen it all. Guess not.
Ya this is so run down..................................... Not
You take offense? At such a famous homage to the great Gary, Indiana? I am baffled.
And I heartily endorse people dissatisfied with California should move ... and why not Gary, Indiana, indeed!?!

Old 05-19-2013, 07:55 AM

268 posts, read 890,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Only one state is higher than California. Hawaii.

The States With the Highest Income Taxes

A quote from that article:

What makes California more expensive isn't so much the taxes we pay, it's the COL. Sales tax just increased for a number of cities and counties in California. La Mirada pays the highest in the state. 10%. Tack on fees for services such as phone, electricity, water and garbage. Vehicle fees, license, smog cert, insurance.

Financial planning is wonderful, as long as everything works out. In the recent collapse, many people who thought they would have a nice little nest egg for their <cough cough> "golden years" found out those years aren't going to be so golden, after all. Just brass.
High gas prices too!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah1979 View Post
High gas prices too!
Yet another well analyzed and thought out comment. After all, when one applies the numbers to the annual miles driven by most people, the difference in gas costs for California compared to the cheapest gas states: the difference comes out to about $20 - $25 a month. Pretty much destroys a fortune overnight.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,329 times
I have been in California all my life but about four years ago I was an over the road long haul truck driver and I traveled through 32 states in 3 months and I finally got a chance to see what some of the other parts of the country had to offer. I found some of the states where a lot cheaper to live than Ca. and I fell in love with it. I traveled from Ca. to the east coast and through Michigan and across to Washington state. I have to say that I love the mid west and I would really love to move out of Ca. and head back to the mid west but I'm unsure of what states I would like to move to. I also liked Idaho as well and I have a few friends that live there. If anyone has any ideas of where might be a good place to start a new life for this native Californian, please let me know. I'm tired of what Ca. has turned into and I can't even live here to much longer anymore. It's outrageously to expensive to live and it get worse by the minute everyday. It wasn't so bad when I was a kid growing up but now it has taken a turn for the worse and it has been going that way for quite a few years now and it doesn't look like it is going to get better anytime soon. Especially for a young man such as myself with two children and trying to support a household with barely enough money to scrape by. Please if anyone has any suggestions on where to move to and what state would suite a small town country boy like me, please let me know. Thank you.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:07 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhermansen View Post
I have been in California all my life but about four years ago I was an over the road long haul truck driver and I traveled through 32 states in 3 months and I finally got a chance to see what some of the other parts of the country had to offer. I found some of the states where a lot cheaper to live than Ca. and I fell in love with it. I traveled from Ca. to the east coast and through Michigan and across to Washington state. I have to say that I love the mid west and I would really love to move out of Ca. and head back to the mid west but I'm unsure of what states I would like to move to. I also liked Idaho as well and I have a few friends that live there. If anyone has any ideas of where might be a good place to start a new life for this native Californian, please let me know. I'm tired of what Ca. has turned into and I can't even live here to much longer anymore. It's outrageously to expensive to live and it get worse by the minute everyday. It wasn't so bad when I was a kid growing up but now it has taken a turn for the worse and it has been going that way for quite a few years now and it doesn't look like it is going to get better anytime soon. Especially for a young man such as myself with two children and trying to support a household with barely enough money to scrape by. Please if anyone has any suggestions on where to move to and what state would suite a small town country boy like me, please let me know. Thank you.
I'm actually a Midwest boy who moved out to California earlier this year. Go figure!

No kids here but I feel your pain. I know I'll never be able to live here forever due to cost but without the responsibilities it's just fine for now. I have happy feet anyway.

What specifically are you looking for in the Midwest? There's "Rust Belt" Midwest (northeast Ohio, southern Michigan, northwest Indiana), "Rural" Midwest (pockets in each state, larger in some), "College Town" Midwest (Oxford, Ohio...Madison, Wisconsin...etc), "Big City but little/no Rust" Midwest (Columbus, Indianapolis, Minneapolis) and of course the unofficial regional capital of Chicago.

Also keep in mind that the weather varies greatly in the region depending on how close you are to the Great Lakes and more importantly...which side of the lake you're on. Summers are hot and VERY humid with northern areas seeing their heat waves starting later and ending sooner in comparison to the southern areas.

Politically the Rust Belt areas are still heavily Democratic on economic issues and much more ethnically diverse. The rural areas are conservative on social issues.

The closest thing to socially liberal you'll get will be found in the small college towns.

These are really big generalizations but just throwing it out there. Remember the stereotype that anything south of I-70 is thought of as The South. In Ohio, many of the old timers considered anything south of Canton as The South. It is just much more rural/farming/conservative than around the Rust Belt/Lakes region.

Again, big generalization. Hopefully I don't get too beat up for this.

Old 07-22-2013, 05:12 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
... and of course the unofficial regional capital of Chicago.
Never thought of it that way. Perhaps that's because with Chicago you get correuption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California