Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 10:14 AM

91 posts, read 417,049 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm having a little trouble understanding the strong opposition to same-sex marriage here in CA. I was living in Massachusetts when same-sex marriage was legalized four years ago, and afterward, nothing changed in the schools and no heterosexual marriages suffered because of it. Granted, the measure to "define marriage as between one man and one woman" did not make it to the ballot in MA; it was voted against by the Legislature, which created another controversy. Nevertheless, the sun rises every morning, churches in MA are free to marry or not marry same-sex couples according to their teachings, and parents are still able to instruct their children about relationships in whatever way they see fit. I can't imagine that children in MA are now deciding that being gay is more viable because they can someday get a marriage certificate from the town clerk. If they are going to be gay, they're going to be gay -- this just enables them to get married and share legal protection and benefits with their spouse.

I know I'm not going to convince anyone to support same-sex marriage with this argument. I just don't understand why "the sky is falling" for so many people here in CA. It won't! It'll be ok!

Signed,
A woman, married in Massachusetts to a man, whose marriage is still every bit as strong and important as it was before same-sex marriage was legalized.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:35 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose View Post
Hello all,
I'm having a little trouble understanding the strong opposition to same-sex marriage here in CA. I was living in Massachusetts when same-sex marriage was legalized four years ago, and afterward, nothing changed in the schools and no heterosexual marriages suffered because of it. Granted, the measure to "define marriage as between one man and one woman" did not make it to the ballot in MA; it was voted against by the Legislature, which created another controversy. Nevertheless, the sun rises every morning, churches in MA are free to marry or not marry same-sex couples according to their teachings, and parents are still able to instruct their children about relationships in whatever way they see fit. I can't imagine that children in MA are now deciding that being gay is more viable because they can someday get a marriage certificate from the town clerk. If they are going to be gay, they're going to be gay -- this just enables them to get married and share legal protection and benefits with their spouse.

I know I'm not going to convince anyone to support same-sex marriage with this argument. I just don't understand why "the sky is falling" for so many people here in CA. It won't! It'll be ok!

Signed,
A woman, married in Massachusetts to a man, whose marriage is still every bit as strong and important as it was before same-sex marriage was legalized.

you don't have the malicious mormon church to deal with in mass like we have in california. throughout most of the western states and hawaii, the mormons write massive checks to fight anything that smells remotely gay.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Exactly! MA has had gay marriage for years and nothing has changed. Nothing has changed in CA since either and NOTHING will change. This is exactly what I don't get, what the hell are the Prop 8 supporters so afraid of? It's so pathetic how simple minded many of them are acting like the sky is going fall if it remain legal. It affects so few people overall how much of an impact does one think it could possibly have? Despite our label of CA being progressive we still have some backwards regions and backwards thinking people, too many IMO.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:50 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,874 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Signed,
Shh! You're poking holes in their arguments against it! What is wrong with you?

Seriously though, they're against it just because of their religion. Honestly, I have yet to meet a single Yes on 8 person who wasn't voting for this because the Bible tells them to. So, I mean, as much as people like you and me want to discuss this with them, they're never going to change their minds. It's unfortunate, especially with the facts staring them in the face but religion has never really been all that rational has it? But I appreciate that you posted this, it might at least make the Yes on 8 people admit why they're truly voting for this measure. Churches won't lose their tax exempt status and children won't be "indoctrinated" into the gay lifestyle. It's time for the Yes on 8 people to admit that it isn't about children or tax-exempt churches, it is about their own prejudices that are fueled by their religious beliefs. It's really sad...

Old 10-27-2008, 11:37 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,617,939 times
Yes, that's what so funny - it already is legal here in CA.
Doom slayers screaming the sky will fall.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:11 PM

151 posts, read 785,575 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Signed,
latest poll shows that as of October 31st 50% of Californians are opposed to Prop. 8, 47% in favor of Prop. 8, and 3% undecided on Prop 8. Right now it's looking like Proposition 8 is not going to pass.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivabigpapi View Post
latest poll shows that as of October 31st 50% of Californians are opposed to Prop. 8, 47% in favor of Prop. 8, and 3% undecided on Prop 8. Right now it's looking like Proposition 8 is not going to pass.
Let's cross our fingers.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM

151 posts, read 785,575 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Signed,
Two more questions, after same-sex marriage was legalized in Massachusetts in 2004, same-sex marriage is not being taught in Massachusetts public schools, right? Also, after same-sex marriage was legalized in Massachusetts in 2004, churches in Massachusetts who choose not to perform same-sex weddings don't lose their tax-exempt status, right?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,988 times
How about you guys give it a rest until the election is over.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
How about you guys give it a rest until the election is over.
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California