Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2008, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 22,797 times

Advertisements

HI, my name is Eddie and I want to move to the visalia or surrounding area. I want to know about jobs, I am an EMT currently, and is it a good area to raise family too. I have been looking at the real estate and I have found many homes at very reasonable prices. My main motivation for moving to this area is to escape from los angeles(where I currently live), and to raise a family in a nice area. I also love sequoia national park and the outdoors and I want my children to have a good childhood experience, growing up out of the city, fishing, camping, dirtbiking... all that good stuff. If you have any information please let me know if I am making the right choice,,thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 08:25 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Any of the towns would be OK. Some people comment on the air quality but it would be similiar to Los Angeles so you should be familiar with living with smog.

There are some neighborhoods in Visalia you should be careful about buying/renting in. But Visalia is over 100,000 people so it should be no surprise that there would be some bad neighborhoods.

Sportsman's Warehouse just opened in Visalia this week. Visalia also has Sports Chalet, Big 5, and some local sporting goods stores which means you should have no problem buying gear to enjoy the outdoors in the area.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:38 PM

5 posts, read 22,797 times
Could you tell me if it is reasonable to live in three rivers and work in visalia considering the drive and I have children too, is it too dangerous?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,145 times
I would also consider Clovis California, Great school's and a very low crime rate. You could work in Fresno and live in Clovis. I have lived here for 5 years and am happy. We live on the very outskirts of Clovis and it's very quiet.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:34 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Any of the towns would be OK. Some people comment on the air quality but it would be similiar to Los Angeles so you should be familiar with living with smog.

There are some neighborhoods in Visalia you should be careful about buying/renting in. But Visalia is over 100,000 people so it should be no surprise that there would be some bad neighborhoods.

Sportsman's Warehouse just opened in Visalia this week. Visalia also has Sports Chalet, Big 5, and some local sporting goods stores which means you should have no problem buying gear to enjoy the outdoors in the area.
I drove up to Visalia this morning to see the Sportsman's warehouse, all I can say is wow, thats a nice store, I like Visalia and wouldn't mind living there.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I drove up to Visalia this morning to see the Sportsman's warehouse, all I can say is wow, thats a nice store, I like Visalia and wouldn't mind living there.
I was told they closed their store in Victorville, loaded the inventory onto about 50 semis and moved it to Visalia. Well not quite but the Victorville store closed so I imagine a lot of the inventory went to Visalia.

Given the proximity to the Sierras the store should do well.
Sportsman's Warehouse - America's Premier Outfitter TM (http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/store.cfm?storeNum=174 - broken link)

Here's a short video one of the Fresno TV stations did about the store.
http://www.ksee24.com/news/kseesunrise/33506939.html (broken link)

Old 11-03-2008, 08:30 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,351,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I was told they closed their store in Victorville, loaded the inventory onto about 50 semis and moved it to Visalia. Well not quite but the Victorville store closed so I imagine a lot of the inventory went to Visalia.

Given the proximity to the Sierras the store should do well.
Sportsman's Warehouse - America's Premier Outfitter TM (http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/store.cfm?storeNum=174 - broken link)

Here's a short video one of the Fresno TV stations did about the store.
Sportman's Warehouse now open in Visalia | KSEE 24 NEWS Central Valley's News Station: Fresno-Visalia | KSEE Sunrise (http://www.ksee24.com/news/kseesunrise/33506939.html - broken link)
I was really impressed, a store like that here would be a big hit, we are getting a Basspro Shop but the build date keeps changing.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM

29 posts, read 167,225 times
Three Rivers isn't dangerous. Visalia has it's areas. Exeter is a good town right in between It was rated at once time for having a large number of millionaires per capital.

Old 07-12-2009, 10:21 PM

5 posts, read 24,603 times
Stay away from the Central Valley unless you all ready have a job lined up. Gottschucks, Mervins, Circuit City and Foods Co have all closed in the last year. Unemployment is almost 20% and crime is starting to go up as well. Did I mention how hot it is here too? Just a friendly warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California