Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 11:06 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This is Calibama if the rednecks vote us into bigotry.
Stick to defending San Jose.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:08 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I am voting YES on 8. I would prefer civil unions instead of Marriage. Marriage is an institution that should only be between man and woman. If gays are looking to be treated equally under the law, then civil unions are the best way to do that.

While I have several close friends who are gay, I still find it disturbing that a male can call and introduce another male as his husband. Or, wife can call or introduce another female as her wife. Its not about tolerance or equality, its about people forcing their sexual behaviors on others publicly. I cant believe they actually have childrens books like "Prince marries a Prince" or something like that.
I agree and prefer civil unions as well.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:23 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I am voting YES on 8. I would prefer civil unions instead of Marriage. Marriage is an institution that should only be between man and woman. If gays are looking to be treated equally under the law, then civil unions are the best way to do that.

While I have several close friends who are gay, I still find it disturbing that a male can call and introduce another male as his husband. Or, wife can call or introduce another female as her wife. Its not about tolerance or equality, its about people forcing their sexual behaviors on others publicly. I cant believe they actually have childrens books like "Prince marries a Prince" or something like that.
That is a very good simple explaination of it and I agree.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,068,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapparulez View Post
It's funny, because NO on 8 is FOR governmental control. Do you realize that if the STATE of California did not require couples to register and PAY A FEE to get married that this would be a DEAD ISSUE? If the STATE wasn't involved, ANYONE could get married under COMMON LAW! If you were truly against GOVERNMENT CONTROL, you would vote FOR Prop 8....but you do not actually believe what you say. You want GOVERNMENT CONTROL of religion and you want to strip the religious freedom away from everyone, that is your belief. I believe in Common Law...let's return to that. Why does the state need us to "register" and "pay a fee" to get married? That is anti-American and against what the Constitution is supposed to mean.
You're just making this stuff up as you go to stir the pot, aren't you?

Old 11-01-2008, 10:34 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Rednecks? Bigotry?

Neither is really a relevent word to describe what this is really all about. But I digress.
This directly parallels Jim Crow Laws. "Separate but equal" is not bigoted in your mind? Why do they keep insisting on civil unions unless the mere thought of being on the same level as homosexuals legitimately bothers them? Will chapels have two doors for weddings: one marked "marriage" and the other marked "civil union?" Tell me how this is actually more soft and cuddly than I'm seeing it.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:39 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
OK, if you want to marry your sister, let me remind you that this is California, not Kentucky.
Actually you can marry anyone you want in California. When I got married I asked the registrar out of curiosity and first cousins apparently don't even have to say they aren't No blood test required in Cali. And as long as you do not procreate you can marry your brother.

So have at it freaks.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:30 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
This directly parallels Jim Crow Laws. "Separate but equal" is not bigoted in your mind?
This is not the same as desegragating schools or telling people where to sit on the bus. The fundamental root of marriage is clear and does not discrminate against any man and woman who want to get married.

Quote:
Why do they keep insisting on civil unions unless the mere thought of being on the same level as homosexuals legitimately bothers them?
Because we have no clear proof that being gay is anything but a figment of one's imagination. There is no clear consensus so why should society bend itself? Mind you I myself am gay. As you can see I am deeply conflicted on this issue. Do I go with my own personal wants or do I defer to the God that I worship? To be honest I dont know yet.

Quote:
Will chapels have two doors for weddings: one marked "marriage" and the other marked "civil union?"
No, civil unions belong at the County Courthouse and marriage belongs at the chapel. Some churches marry gays-that's religious freedom and Im all for it.

Quote:
Tell me how this is actually more soft and cuddly than I'm seeing it.
Trust me, this issue about as soft and cuddly as a cactus. In any event, I cant wait for this to be over.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 17,434 times
Quote:
This directly parallels Jim Crow Laws. "Separate but equal" is not bigoted in your mind? Why do they keep insisting on civil unions unless the mere thought of being on the same level as homosexuals legitimately bothers them? Will chapels have two doors for weddings: one marked "marriage" and the other marked "civil union?" Tell me how this is actually more soft and cuddly than I'm seeing it.
I am not so sure this is quite on the same level. Equality based on skin color and ethnicity is quite different. So Men resitricted to a Men's room and Women resitricted to a Women's room is not fair? This seems to be a separate but equal situation that is well accepted.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:21 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0bx View Post
I am not so sure this is quite on the same level. Equality based on skin color and ethnicity is quite different.
Yeah, to you. That's pretty arbitrary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0bx View Post
So Men resitricted to a Men's room and Women resitricted to a Women's room is not fair? This seems to be a separate but equal situation that is well accepted.
Who says it should be? Until someone is actually being persecuted by our restroom setup, though, I assume it will stick around.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:13 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
You're just making this stuff up as you go to stir the pot, aren't you?
Whats to make up ??? fact of the matter is that the problem starts when you or anyone ask the GOVERNMENT to step in and regulate something that you can yourself . When we all realize this fact we will see as has been stated in other post. we are free to do as we feel, that is our right as an AMERICAN . gay's as well as straight people really need to understand this. we ask for their permission to marry , to drive a vehicle but we can have as many children as we choose , with out any government TRAINING??? when will we start demanding that the government provide proper training for this also ???? Give me a Break . nothing was required years ago and we got thru it ok !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California