Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 10:12 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,066,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Congratulations, you voted based on misinformation that the mormons fed you. none of what you said is true. you could have researched a little bit moreefre you took away rights from yourfellow citizens. CNN has not referred to is as banning gays from adopting, rather single unmarried individuals. but intelligent ppl can read betw the lines to see who they're really trying to exclude.
I am watching CNN right now and they JUST said it. It was part of the segment stating that Gays are challenging the election (surprise) here in California: "Arkansas bans gays from adopting".

Old 11-05-2008, 10:15 PM

18,959 posts, read 32,418,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
Because marriage has nothing to do with same-sex unions! I still can't get an answer as to why homosexuals don't push their own institution if they want to be joined to the government so much. Fighting for the rights of civil unions would be so much less of an uphill battle! Why are so drawn to the idea of 'marriage'? Do heterosexual relationships seem that appealing?"
When you're seeking the same rights as marriage, I think it does. With regards to govt marriage is a license and gives you certain rights, privileges, etc... it's not some holy institution related to the church or anything. So why treat as some religious thing within the realm of govt? Marriage by the govt shouldn't exclude certain types of couples from being married. Your religious or personal beliefs shouldn't't trample over the rights of others. It makes it more equal and doesn't take anything away from you. Your church can still deny gays the right to marry, they don't have to let anyone they don't want to marry there.

Quote:
I didn't take anything AWAY from them. It was never theirs legally to begin with! The people had spoken and the CA Supreme court legislated from the bench and ignored the votes of the people! We simply didn't stand for having our rights taken away from us! The Supreme Courts job is not to legislate law, but interpret law.
maybe not you personally, but Prop 22 in 2000 did take those rights away from them. It was better undefined, but people had to add this definition of a man and woman to it. You didn't have any rights taken from you. What right did you not have? And they interpreted that a ban against gay marriage was unconstitutional.

Quote:
It diminishes the sanctity of the union, for one. It also will begin to infiltrate the school system when they begin indoctrinating our children by teaching them that is an appropriate lifestyle, without parental consent. Once it is legal it now has to become acceptable, and that will affect us all deeply!
In your eyes it does, not everyone shares that view. I believe Hollywood celebrities diminish the sanctity of marriage a lot more than that.

The whole indoctrinating children is absolute BS. One teacher made some dumb mistake but nothing has changed in MA. Nothing has changed in all the countries that have allowed Gay Marriage. Canada's society seems to be holding together. Children are not going to be indocrinated in schools, that is such BS and some fear mongering tactic. Find me one example of that actually happening.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with religion in the first place, as far as the government goes. As I have stated, the government found it beneficial to encourage the institution of marriage because it is an essential backbone to any great nation, but it does not change the meaning to what marriage IS! Marriage was already defined well before the founding of this great country.
\

Yes it is a backbone to this nation with families. But there are gay families that are essentially not any different that regular families except the gender of one of the parents.

What is the meaning of marriage? The meaning of marriage for many is two adults who love each other. If you want to take a religious view of it then that's totally fine, but that view shouldn't infringe on the rights of others. Some can go with what it says in the bible and others can go with what is says in the dictionary. With govt it should not discriminate, even though you may not like the idea of having to share "marriage" with gays it doesn't even really affect you in any personal way. I can totally see why some people don't like the idea, it's even somewhat weird to me, BUT it doesn't actually affect me in any way so live and let live. Besides a ring you can't tell someone is married by looking at them.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 PM

18,959 posts, read 32,418,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
To the bold part: exactly what I was thinking. And I can't get an answer either as to why there is an insistence on the semantics.

You sound like a fairly-open minded and tolerant person. You, and me, and everyone else are entitled to open our minds 95% and not 100%. This falls into that "other" zone for all of the reasons you enumerated.

You articulated your opinion well.
I goes both ways b/c I can't get it either, what is the big deal about allowing gays to be married? Allowing gays to be married doesn't affect anyone else marriage at all. It doesn't take away from it in anyway or anything like that. I just don't get why some people are so afraid or against this when it doesn't change anything overall, it affects such a small % of people.

Sorry but I don't see how people get some pass to be close minded and to discriminate 5% of the time.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,920,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I am watching CNN right now and they JUST said it. It was part of the segment stating that Gays are challenging the election (surprise) here in California: "Arkansas bans gays from adopting".
Good! This Prop 8 is nothing but law by mob rule. all over the country, voters are out to get the gays. no voter should have the right to take rights away from another. that's the job of the IRS.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,491,119 times
70% of blacks supported Prop 8.

70% of African Americans backed Prop. 8, exit poll finds | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

That's why L.A. County as a whole voted "yes" on 8. I'm ready to move to San Francisco.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:37 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,066,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Good! This Prop 8 is nothing but law by mob rule. all over the country, voters are out to get the gays. no voter should have the right to take rights away from another. that's the job of the IRS.
LOL.

I wish there was a compromise that allowed Gays to be in an equal legal relationship status that would give them the benefits of marraige without calling it marriage. For some reason Civil Union isn't acceptable.

Here's another perspective: When I was a little girl I dreamed of being a bride. When I got married, when I saw my name under the word "bride" it was an exciting, happy moment. My moment would have been seriously dimished if my marriage license had read "Person 1" or some other wording that I've heard would be changed on marriage licenses to accommodate same-sex couples.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:37 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,399,629 times
I have heard that Obama actually helped Prop 8 pass. I sort of became a "you can't have your cake and eat it too" type thing. Conservatives were likely to vote for Prop 8 anyhow. However, Obama brought out more African American and Latino voters than a typical election. The Catholic Church said "Vote Yes on 8" and the large Latino population that may have been voting for Obama due to economic reasons likely listened to the church for the marriage issue and then Obama brought out a large amount of African American voters who the LA Times article shows had 70% vote yes.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:40 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,247,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
70% of blacks supported Prop 8.

70% of African Americans backed Prop. 8, exit poll finds | L.A. Now | Los Angeles Times

That's why L.A. County as a whole voted "yes" on 8. I'm ready to move to San Francisco.
Same...or Boston.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,691,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Same...or Boston.

Well, we'd love to have you...just brace yourself for the weather...

Old 11-05-2008, 10:47 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,194,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Well, we'd love to have you...just brace yourself for the weather...
That seems to be the only drawback at this point. How do you drive to work? I've only ever had a bit of frost on my windshield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California