Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,310,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
If you believe this project is going to cost anything close to what they say it will, I've got a once in a lifetime deal on some swamp land in Florida for you.
Then you're happy with no progress ever. Sort out government incompetence separately of this project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 12:00 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,361,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Then you're happy with no progress ever. Sort out government incompetence separately of this project.
Kind of hard to separate the two considering who's going to be running the project and who's going to pay to operate it at a loss every year.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:02 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,749,634 times
Quote:
Kind of hard to separate the two considering who's going to be running the project and who's going to pay to operate it at a loss every year.
Have you left CA yet?? Jeez..

Old 11-06-2008, 12:02 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,599,886 times
I'm glad this passed. It's either build this or build more freeways. We've tried the freeways for the last 60 years. It's time to move in a new direction. I get tired of the whole, "I'll never use it, so my tax dollars shouldn't pay for it" argument against every rail/transit project, but yet it's okay to use my tax dollars for freeway expansions that I have no use for.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelers247 View Post
Have you left CA yet?? Jeez..
If you're so anxious to see me leave, you can paypal me some money so I can get out quicker. Otherwise, its none of your business.

Old 11-06-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I'm glad this passed. It's either build this or build more freeways. We've tried the freeways for the last 60 years. It's time to move in a new direction. I get tired of the whole, "I'll never use it, so my tax dollars shouldn't pay for it" argument against every rail/transit project, but yet it's okay to use my tax dollars for freeway expansions that I have no use for.
No, we tried freeway building from the 1950's - 1970's. Since then, the roads have not kept up with the population. Gas tax dollars have been diverted into the general fund or spent on short subways under LA which do little to get to get the bulk of the population where they're going.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:05 AM

18,966 posts, read 32,492,053 times
Quote:
No, we tried freeway building from the 1950's - 1970's. Since then, the roads have not kept up with the population. Gas tax dollars have been diverted into the general fund or spent on short subways under LA which do little to get to get the bulk of the population where they're going.

As long as you have population growth, which CA will have for the foreseeable future, you will NEVER solve freeway congestion with widenings and more freeways. Never has worked and never will. With how many people CA has currently and will have in 30 years, transportation alternatives like HSR is what will help keep CA moving.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:23 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,599,886 times
I once read on this or some other forum that widening freeways to solve your traffic problem is like loosening your belt to solve your weight problem. History has proven that you will never solve traffic problems simply by building more roads. Seriously, how much wider can the 405 get? You want 30 lane freeways? Double or triple decker freeways? Why don't we just bulldoze half of LA and Orange Counties and make it one nice, big wide freeway.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:29 AM

18,966 posts, read 32,492,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt345 View Post
I once read on this or some other forum that widening freeways to solve your traffic problem is like loosening your belt to solve your weight problem. History has proven that you will never solve traffic problems simply by building more roads. Seriously, how much wider can the 405 get? You want 30 lane freeways? Double or triple decker freeways? Why don't we just bulldoze half of LA and Orange Counties and make it one nice, big wide freeway.

that's a good analogy and sums it up pretty well actually. I might have to start using that line when I try to explain to people how freeway expansions never solve congestion in the long run.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:54 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,464,223 times
People also need to keep in mind that when they say that the measure is expensive, every other form of transportation is costing you a lot as well. The automobile and airline industries are heavily subsidized. You also need to add in the other expenses, such as various environmental factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California