Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
"Liberal" is just a word you people use to manufacture bias in your opponent. Someone else's view can't possibly be unbiased because they're "liberal." You should heed your own advice.
Why don't you read my previous post. Did I not state I could see how people's concerns against prop. 4 is valid (paraphrasing)? Guess what, I can do that because I'm NOT a liberal. It's not that liberals are all biased but they have a REALLY hard time with compromise and seeing things from the middle or the right, that is the nature of liberals.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:33 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,114,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
okay then maybe you shouldn't display where you live for everyone else to see or talk about where you live in a forum for where you live and post about why you want to leave on a PUBLIC forum. I never said you owed me an explanation and I don't care b/c I don't want to hear it, I've already read enough of your posts to know that anyways.

But I am still curious, why didn't you leave after this failed the first time?? Or Second time???
Displaying where I am and my intention to leave does not make my move your business. Since curiosity killed the cat, I strongly suggest you stop being curious becuase you will not receive the satisfaction needed to revive you.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Okay, good luck out there in Hicksville, North Dakota. Don't forget to write!
First of all, the scarcasm is unnecessary. Second, learn to read, I'm moving to Arkansas not North Dakota. The fact that you don't know your State abbreviations is very scary. btw, the abbreviation for North Dakota is ND not AR.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emstee22 View Post
oh jesus christ, are you kidding? just because people support the right to CHOOSE does not mean they support killing a fetus. I do not know ONE person who wants women to have an abortion, or who think that abortion should be used as a form of birth control. NO ONE wants people to abort fetuses for no reason. However people do want (and THANKFULLY have the legal right to) a choice of what to do to your own body.
If we talking about adults, I agree with you 100%. Actually I agree 100% that it should be the teens decision whether or not she has an abortion, BUT her parents should know about it. As has been said there are 100 different ways a girl can get pregnant, if she think she'll disappoint her parents she might not go to them. Anybody who knows anything about children know that children know when they've done soemthing they shouldn't and the only consequence could be a conversation with their parent about how to make a better decision so they don't end up in that kind of situation again. But they won't. ANd for some kids it will be the "I can do it myself" syndrome and they think if they make an adult decision will make them adults. Children don't have the mature to make adult decisions which is why they are not emanicpated until they are 18. (Which I think is too soon but that's a whole new topic)

Old 11-05-2008, 06:52 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
Why don't you read my previous post. Did I not state I could see how people's concerns against prop. 4 is valid (paraphrasing)? Guess what, I can do that because I'm NOT a liberal. It's not that liberals are all biased but they have a REALLY hard time with compromise and seeing things from the middle or the right, that is the nature of liberals.
No, I have to compromise on this very issue of abortion. I'm de facto pro-life by being vegan. However, I cannot empathize with a woman in such a situation (or at all) and I also understand that an unwanted pregnancy will not likely produce a healthy for a child in which to grow up.

I just don't appreciate the term "liberal" when used to simply describe someone of a differing viewpoint. The word shares its root with "liberty," which is something this country is supposed to cherish. It's not a strict set of beliefs by any means. Most people you call liberal are actually opposed to to that kind of narrow thinking.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If you're a good parent and have a good family, your daughter is more likely to come to you with the issue of teen pregnancy.

It's the kids that don't come from good homes and good families are the ones a lot more likely to try to hide it.
Again, another example you don't know children. And you contradicted yourself. The fact you said "more likely" instead of "will" you concede that teens not going to her parents might not be the result of bad parenting.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
Frankly, I am for real.

What are the odds that I'm a good kid that was raised by good parents, who taught me to always wear a rubber and/or use birth control and I still got pregnant but you know what, I'm going to just not inform my parents even though they're open with this stuff?

What are the odds that I am caught up in some horrible situation where informing my parents that I'm pregnant or going to get an abortion is a pretty terrible idea? I can see some parents beating their kids or throwing them out on the street for having an abortion or having sex. I don't think I even need to go into detail in a scenario with an abusive father or step father.

So no, it's not black and white, but I stray on the side of caution.
You would be amazed how many kids when they get into trouble or do things they know their parents wouldn't approve of say "My parents are going to kill me if they find out" Guess what? 99% of time the chiild lives to complain about being grounded, spanked, lectured or soemthing else benign. I don't think that to protect 1% of the population we should have such a blanket law. Besides, a judicial/substitute adult is written into every such law to protect the girls who really are in danger if they go home pregnant.

btw, what does it say about a girl's judgment if she know her parent will throw her out if she becomes pregnant and does so anyway?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
It means she is in a crappy home and should do whatever she needs to do till she can support herself.

And where did you get that 1% number? Mind citing a source? I do like how you just don't care about this supposed 1% of the population though. It's nice when a country allows people to slip through the cracks.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:11 PM

My point is that something that effect a small number should not affect the majority. Normally it's the other way around.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:12 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Tyranny of the majority is not what this country was founded on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California