Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 01:08 AM

9 posts, read 38,146 times

Advertisements

So I am thinking of moving to SB from Portland Or to go to school at SBCC. I am hoping to get a loan so I wont have to work. But I am wondering how the job market is there? Also is SB just a party town. I am 30 years old and dont drink. Will I fit in there? Are people friendly there? Can you get around with no car? Is it hard to find affordable housing? I know it is expensive. What is the vibe. I have lived in Newport beach and San Diego. Similar or more laid back? Is it stuck up? Is there hiking Nearby? Any live music?.. Nightlife. Is it all 20 somethings and retirees?

THANKS!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 12:05 PM

any info would be great!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:32 PM

anyone??????????

Old 11-09-2008, 07:59 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,094 times
I will try and help. SB is an ok place to live but you need lots of money to really enjoy it. The job market is not good and if you find a job the pay isnt good. The night life is pretty good on State st. Affordable housing can be found but you will have to live with four or five people to make it affordable. The city college is a great place to go to school and people are nice there. Lots of hiking but you will need a car or a friend to take you there. I hope this helps.
Check out Lake Havasu it also has a City College http://www.newtohavasu.net/index.html (broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetintheNW View Post
So I am thinking of moving to SB from Portland Or to go to school at SBCC. I am hoping to get a loan so I wont have to work. But I am wondering how the job market is there? Also is SB just a party town. I am 30 years old and dont drink. Will I fit in there? Are people friendly there? Can you get around with no car? Is it hard to find affordable housing? I know it is expensive. What is the vibe. I have lived in Newport beach and San Diego. Similar or more laid back? Is it stuck up? Is there hiking Nearby? Any live music?.. Nightlife. Is it all 20 somethings and retirees?

THANKS!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 AM

thanks.. Havasu sounds great but I am actually a cali resident ( been living in Lake Tahoe cali side) for over a year. Just came home for short visit to Portland....... So I want to go to school in Cali. Anyone else have any advice on SB??

Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 AM

69 posts, read 293,784 times
Quote:
Affordable housing can be found but you will have to live with four or five people to make it affordable.
O_o

Old 11-10-2008, 10:53 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,076,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetintheNW View Post

THANKS!!!
You'll do fine. Job market is not great. A lot of $15/hr. jobs with competition. Check with one of the 8 or 10 temp agencies in town if you need something to get you by. SB is more than "just a party town." There are a lot of cultural and music events throughout the year. People are generally friendly, though neutral-to-indifferent might be a better way to describe it. There are so many different types of people in SB that no one really cares....

You can get by without a car easily if you live downtown or near the express lines in Goleta/IV. A lot of people get around on bikes, :: Santa Barbara Bicycle Coalition ::. Your student ID is also recognized as a free-access bus pass.

State Street on Friday/Saturday nights and IV are the main club/music/party spots.

SB is mostly laid back. Long-time Santa Barbarans are easy going and unassuming. Many of them are stinking rich, though you'd never know it by their old vehicles and casual dress. There is a streak of snobbery iin SB, but it's easily ignored.

Tons of really great hiking in the mountains and coastal spots in and around SB.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:52 PM

thank you!!

Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 PM

642 posts, read 3,072,338 times
I do not drink and am in early forties and am having the time of my life (well one of them ) in Santa Barbara. You'll find a job and there is lots to do other than drinking. Winston (aka cre8) mentioned a few.

When you arrive you will see just how much stuff there is to do without alcohol. Also I lived in Seattle and Portland for a total of 14 years before moving down here. Come on down. You'll wonder why you waited so long LOL. Heck the only concern you'll have here is how to focus on your studies.

Also I have found people to be incredibly friendly. There is a mix of if you want friendly, there are friendly people or if you want your privacy that is here too. People sense that here and seem to respect it. In other places I have lived it seems they are either oriented friendly or aloof and here you can sort of pick and choose and people won't (generally) take it personally. People are often so nice and upfront here it is easy to establish friendships with day to day people and even people you may just meet once.

You also mentioned San Diego and Newport Beach (I lived in San Diego for awhile and LA). I would say it is laid back here. At times very laid back. I haven't spent much time in Newport Beach, but would say the laid back energy is more comparable to coastal San Diego--ranging all the way from OB to Encinitas if that is helpful. It is ultimately a beach town at heart with a lot of big city amenities and cultural entertainment and activities. This is also why it attracts such a diversity of people--everything from small town to big city folks. Santa Barbarans and Goletans love their city and town and find it to be paradise.

Last edited by fairweathergolfer; 11-10-2008 at 07:16 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 07:01 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,295,747 times
Didn't you have a thread in the Portland forum asking for suggestions? If so, pleased to "meet" you again.

If you can make it work out in Santa Barbara, you will love it. It's big enough without that vortex-like pace of L.A., it has a good music scene, and you're right there by the wine country. Sounds like Heaven to me. I sure hope you can meet this dream. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California