Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 10:17 AM

3 posts, read 8,974 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My husband and I are baby boomers just now reaching retirement age and also having just experienced (like a lot of other people) the loss of a huge chunk of our retirement savings. We currently live in north San Diego county where we find it a bit too hot and dry and feel drawn to the Central coast area. Schools and job opportunities are no longer important to us but we would like to have some decent restaurants, shopping, health care, and cultural activities (in addition to wine tasting). We also need to be within a reasonable drive to an airport as my husband is still doing some consulting work which requires travel. We would love to hear from anyone (including real estate firms) who may have any suggestions as to nice towns we might explore for a home. We're thinking a single family house, good size piece of land, under $600,000. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 03:27 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
Hi Alladrm,
I am doing the same research. Check out Arroyo Grande or Nipomo. They have the nice weather and only 10 miles or so from San Luis Obispo.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:24 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Default I'm another Wannabee........

Looking forward to any responses to this topic

Old 11-11-2008, 02:50 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
I'd agree with AG and Nipomo or maybe the Santa Maria area, if the summer heat is really a deal breaker. But all your desires along with cool weather doesn't really happen in SLO County for under 600k, I mean in general. Wine tasting throughout this area goes without question.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 PM

101 posts, read 582,015 times
I've been looking online at Nipomo and found some nice looking places in the 500's and even a few in the 400's. Some have an acre of land with them. So why is Nipomo so much cheaper than Arroyo Grande? Are there problems with Nipomo?

Old 11-11-2008, 05:56 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the tips Dean. These are two places we haven't looked at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Hi Alladrm,
I am doing the same research. Check out Arroyo Grande or Nipomo. They have the nice weather and only 10 miles or so from San Luis Obispo.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:02 PM

We are hoping that prices are lower everywhere - not just here. I know we're asking for a lot but it may be possible. Thanks for your post.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mono#9 View Post
I've been looking online at Nipomo and found some nice looking places in the 500's and even a few in the 400's. Some have an acre of land with them. So why is Nipomo so much cheaper than Arroyo Grande? Are there problems with Nipomo?
When I submitted my post, I was actually wonderinig if Nipomo RE had come down. I looks like it has. 10-15 yrs. ago Nipomo was horrible, the armpit of SLO County. It's cleaned up. I really like the area of town with the acre lots. It's a nice area to live and weather's great. Nipomo has limited shopping, but the grocery store there is fairly new ( a Vons) and nice. Nipomo is sorta like an island on it's own, it's a bit separated from AG and Santa Maria, but not really. It's more rural. If you visit, it'll make sense why AG RE is more expensive. I personally like Nipomo, more so if I was retired. But like I said, the area of town with homes on acre lots is really nice IMO, I'd live there in a second.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,957,318 times
I personally like the Arroyo Grande area as it is a little more upscale than Nipomo. I did hear some rumblings that Nipomo may have some water supply problems. I am researching that a bit further. CA Central Coast is correct that Nipomo has the more rural feel with larger lots. As with most of the CC the weather is mostly perfect year round. Very similar to Santa Barbara. Maybe a degree or so cooler.
Still, I am still looking into the Health care in the area.

Maybe we can all be neighbors!!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:25 PM

268 posts, read 817,418 times
Nipomo is more rural and is really only a county community, not a city yet. They are in the process of getting a pipeline across the Santa Maria river for more water. That is a few years away. Arroyo Grande is more upscale and a bit less rural. Not to may places in town with large lots or allowing horses if that's what you need the land for. Both places have stuff for around 600K but your more likely to get a larger lot if you go Nipomo. I have found a road trip is a better way to get a feel of a community that just brochures or the web.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California