Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdarlin View Post
Wow.. reading these posts, who would move to Ukiah??? I recently spent a few hours there and found the locals to be friendly and extremly helpful. Mind you a few hours Has not convinced me to move. However, I did get a good feeling or "vibe" if you will. One elderly gentleman did warn me about the lack of employment opportunities!!!!! Hummmm....something to think about. Ukiah does , on the other hand offer a lot of interseting thing...such as art,culture, History, Parks and recreation, Music venues, I found it to be quit quaint! I plan on spending more time there to see if it is a possible fit for me.
haven't been there is years, but absolutely loved it many years ago. We had 2 or 3 friends with families living there so we used to visit often.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joybell View Post
Here is what Ukiah has to offer: LOTS of wonderful dining choices, (the sushi and Asian joints are amazing), great shopping, (although the boutiques can be a little pricey), friendly people, and amazing scenery.

Ukiah is situated in a valley and the buildings and businesses are augmented by acres and acres of vineyards. A lot of my friends have traveled to different parts of the world and a common thing I hear is, "It was so gorgeous, it reminded me of Ukiah".

The housing is a lot more affordable than other parts of the Bay Area, although yes, jobs can be hard to find. The economy is run on grapes and weed, so if you're not involved in either you may have to wait awhile for employment. (Ukiah is situated in an overlap of the Wine Country and the Emerald Triangle.)

The lakes are beautiful and Lake Mendocino is adjacent to Ukiah. A lot of people own boats and there is a summer scene out on the lake for sure. Reggae festivals happen every summer and are all within an hour's drive.
There's Mendocino College which is located on the north end of Ukiah. They offer a wide variety of art and sport classes, as well as all the stuff you would need for an Associate's degree. (You can obtain a BA in a few subjects as well).

If you're a young person there's only a few places to dance on the weekends. Santa Rosa is the closest big city and it is an hour away. San Francisco is exactly 2 hours away. I'm not sure what that lady who said Ukiah was 3 hours from SF was thinking... she may have been talking about Lake County. It's definitely a 2 hours drive, even with the typical Santa Rosa/ Novato fun traffic.

The only real downside I can think of is that the nightlife is limited. If a small town is what you're looking for I would definitely move to Ukiah.
The Doobie Brothers sang a fine song called "Ukiah" in the early 70's.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:34 AM

288 posts, read 851,548 times
I went to Ukiah once for some kind of community organizing thing, many years ago. Biggest bunch of flaky hippies ever.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:16 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
The Doobie Brothers sang a fine song called "Ukiah" in the early 70's.
Yep, that makes perfect sense, or should I say sensimilla.

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-14-2009 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-06-2009, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 4,571 times
As a dutchie I was lucky to have a girlfriend from Ukiah for a couple of years and I must say I loved it there. Visited Ukiah for 4 years in a row beginning of the 90's, returning last year, lovely place.
But where do the Doobie Brothers have the song from. Did a member of the band live in Ukiah in those days?[/FONT]

Old 11-26-2009, 05:13 PM

986 posts, read 2,508,049 times
Post Growth is the problem, not the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoperson View Post
Unless your work brings you to Ukiah, or unless you have a job waiting for you in Ukiah, there are better options in NorCal. Ukiah's (legitimate) economy is mainly a service industry. Because of a long history and unofficial policy of anti-growth/anti-big business from a segment of the population and elected officials, Ukiah and the rest of Mendocino County is slowly dying. The County's fate was determined when the County Board of Sups refused to fund the construction of the local reserviour, Lake Mendocino. Since the counties to the south funded the project, they own the water rights. A lack of water further limits growth here. A little perplexing considering the abundant rainfall this region gets.
Please don't perpetuate (even if unintentionally) the whole "grow or die" concept, which is basically a pyramid scheme that assumes natural resources are infinite. I'd say Ukiah is emblematic of a failed growthist economic system that assumes endless greener pastures to build on.

The entire state of California should adopt a policy of zero population growth before we reach insane projections of 60 million by mid-century. Look at all the complaints about congestion, crime, etc. We can't have it both ways: a mindlessly expanding population & economy AND a good quality of life with environmental protection, much less solve things like global warming. Birth control must be increased everywhere to stop the unsustainable tide of people.

"Economic growth" has long since ceased in true per-capita terms. It's been mostly credit debt for decades. Too many people working in financial services and other non-physical enterprises that "earn" money from money itself.

People need to realize that it's physically impossible for true economic growth to go on indefinitely. Nature can't supply an unlimited number of jobs to whomever needs them. We should aim for a steady-state system that acknowledges the futility of perpetual growth in a finite space. California is a showcase for the impending failure of growthism.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:58 PM

36 posts, read 157,779 times
When I think Ukiah, I think California Highway Patrol. Folks who regularly travel 101 North and South know to watch out for the man in Ukiah, for they seem to pay particular attention to speeders on that stretch of the road. I just drove thru Ukiah earlier this week, and sure enough, there was a CHP, parked at the top of a freeway on ramp, in a perfect blind spot, waiting to swoop down on the first speeder that went by. I don't know much about Ukiah except for that... but it's a little piece of knowledge has probably saved me a few dollars over the years.

Old 11-27-2009, 02:21 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
People need to realize that it's physically impossible for true economic growth to go on indefinitely. Nature can't supply an unlimited number of jobs to whomever needs them. We should aim for a steady-state system that acknowledges the futility of perpetual growth in a finite space. California is a showcase for the impending failure of growthism.
Your point about the growth of our economy being false, mainly driven by debt, is well taken. However, I don't think that outcome was inevitable.

The rest of your post seemed way off base to me.

Nothing in nature stays in a complete steady-state. Grow or die is the right analogy.

If the majority of people had this Malthusian mindset 200 years ago, we probably all would be living in poverty and still only living to age 47, which was the average life expectancy in the US in 1900. No thanks.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:25 AM

1,962 posts, read 4,483,767 times
Default are we having a conversation?

Some of us in this dialogue about Ukiah are going on and on about job prospects, but the OP has indicated she can work anywhere she wants, since she works in the arts using a computer.

It would seem that this place is pretty much what she is looking for, given what she has said, but she should still determine that for herself through a sufficiently long visit/stay.

I myself stayed there for a couple of days while on vacation last year and walked the town. It was nice but saw at least one earth momma desperately in need of a bath!!!

It was quiet, but that is good when looking for a place just to "get away from it all".

Old 11-30-2009, 04:45 PM

7 posts, read 17,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoperson View Post
Many folks describe the 60 mile drive north from Santa Rosa into Mendocino County and the Yokayo Valley as a regression back in time some 50 years. I'll call Ukiah and northward along Hwy 101 the "Redwood Curtain" for its relative isolation and departure from mainstream America (and California).

After living in Ukiah for one year, I believe the following is an objective description of Ukiah and Mendocino County in general:

Unless your work brings you to Ukiah, or unless you have a job waiting for you in Ukiah, there are better options in NorCal. Ukiah's (legitimate) economy is mainly a service industry. Because of a long history and unofficial policy of anti-growth/anti-big business from a segment of the population and elected officials, Ukiah and the rest of Mendocino County is slowly dying. The County's fate was determined when the County Board of Sups refused to fund the construction of the local reserviour, Lake Mendocino. Since the counties to the south funded the project, they own the water rights. A lack of water further limits growth here. A little perplexing considering the abundant rainfall this region gets.

A few positives: the air is almost always clean, little traffic, generally friendly folks, spectacular scenery, proximity to unspoiled nature, and four seasons (inland). There are a few Buddhist communities. There is a nudist retreat a few miles from town.

The negatives are largely economic: High cost of living vs wages, limited housing options (buying or renting), limited job options, limited shopping, few dining options, high utility costs, extreme temperatures from winter to summer, to name a few. A disproportionate percentage of the population survives on welfare. Since so many high-schoolers become pregnant, there is a separate campus for the "babies who have babies." To continue, there is a somewhat suspicious sentiment towards outsiders, especially if you came from a big city. On the coast, locals are especially suspicious and protective.

Regarding the political spectrum of the public, to say that most voters are liberal would be an understatement. On the other hand, anarchism would be more accurate. On the coast, few visitors are aware of what lies in the hills above Hwy 1: Massive marijuana grows, meth operations, and general squalor. The weed has created an underground economy. The hills are also a good place to hide.

On the local cable TV, check-out the public access channel - the local Board of Sups meetings. Pay attention to the comments made by the one Supervisor who sits on the left: David Colfax. Quite scary if our elected officials are a reflection of the voting majority. I will not elaborate further on this, but instead, invite a separate thread on this Board of Supervisors.

So, if you're thinking of relocating to Ukiah, I strongly suggest spending a few weeks here first before making any commitments. Against conventional wisdom, first impressions are not always lasting.
Would you mind grinding my axe while you're at it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California