Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:50 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
To be fair facts usually have a liberal bias.
Huh? The numbers are what they are.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 10:57 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
To be fair facts usually have a liberal bias.
Please explain what you mean. Or was it sarcasm?

Old 11-15-2008, 11:09 AM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Please explain what you mean. Or was it sarcasm?
Sarcasm

I guess it's hard to convey it over the internet.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:08 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Huh?

Obama won by 8 million votes and 53 percent of the vote so ...

President - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

That definitely puts him up there with Reagan which is pretty impressive.
I guess that's a matter of perception. To me that's not a landslide. 8 million is what ~ population of LA? And there are those votes for all the other parties. I tried to find the statistics for those alternate parties but couldn't. I don't believe they generated as many as in the prior 2004 election.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I guess that's a matter of perception. To me that's not a landslide. 8 million is what ~ population of LA? And there are those votes for all the other parties. I tried to find the statistics for those alternate parties but couldn't. I don't believe they generated as many as in the prior 2004 election.
She is posting national results, not California results [Obama 61% over McCain's 37%].

Old 11-15-2008, 12:50 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,467 times
Quote:
What's happened in the Central Valley is that Latinos vote Democratic & vote in larger numbers now.
That is a bit too general.

Hispanics do get more conservative as they move up the socio-economic ladder or are more generations removed from the immigrant generation. The Democrats will gain a short term advantage in coming years due to Hispanics but will need to work to keep it long term.

For example, one of the Clovis city council members is Jose Flores. He was registered Democrat for 26 years but 6 years ago switched parties to the GOP. He says he was a Dem because that was what his family and friends were but it wasn't his beliefs.

Assemblywoman Nicole Parra was elected as a Dem but usually voted conservative. Leaving office this year she gave her support to the Republican candidate instead of the Hispanic female the Dems were running. It looks like the Republican will win the race as the last absenteee votes are now being counted.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:57 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
She is posting national results, not California results [Obama 61% over McCain's 37%].
Oops! I've been on too many "general" forums, so my thinking keeps going on that one-way route. Thanks for rattling my cage on this.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:53 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
That is a bit too general.

Hispanics do get more conservative as they move up the socio-economic ladder or are more generations removed from the immigrant generation. The Democrats will gain a short term advantage in coming years due to Hispanics but will need to work to keep it long term.
Definitely true. Latinos are not of one mind, nor one culture. I know many very conservative Latins -- Catholics, patriarch, family- and traditional-value types, who would never vote for even the slightest left-of-center politician.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Definitely true. Latinos are not of one mind, nor one culture. I know many very conservative Latins -- Catholics, patriarch, family- and traditional-value types, who would never vote for even the slightest left-of-center politician.
Not in LA county! Latinos are a Democratic block.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Yes, Earl Warren, the most liberal chief justice of the Supreme Court during the 20th century. My point is that prior Republican governors were quite different than current GOP religion-centric focus.

Edmund Brown [father of Jerry Brown] put the focus on infra-structure with the construction of the California Aqueduct as an example.
Most Republican governors in California have been socially moderate. Pete Wilson for instance was very much for abortion rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California