U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2006, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 14,990 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any information on Yuba City? How are the schools there? I'm looking for a small town feel where the pace is a little slower than SoCal.

Thanks,

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2006, 12:12 PM

424 posts, read 2,525,069 times
Default Yuba City/Marysville

I've never lived in Yuba City, but I have friends that did. The area reminds me of the mid west. It's flat and the area has lots of rice fields and wheat fields (probably why a nearby town is called Wheatland). The area has OK schools. I can't remember any "distinguished schools" being located in Yuba City, at least recently. There are Russian and Hmong immigrants living in the area also. There is a local population of Chinese-Americans, but other than that almost no diversity with the remainder of the residents being almost all white.

It's still a small town and doesn't have much in the way of shopping (malls), etc. But like most towns within an easy drive of Sacramento and the tsunami-like growth near Sacramento, it is starting to grow rapidly with many people that don't mind the drive to Sacramento to work, finding very reasonable housing prices (for CA) and the area is getting more of a residential feel to it.

The weather is like Sacramento but it's usually a little hotter (that's real hot) because Sacramento normally gets a nice delta breeze in the evening. To check out what the weather is like, check out Red Bluff--Yuba City is similar.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-2006, 07:42 PM

13 posts, read 95,438 times
The Yuba City area is a fairly nice area compared to some of the other places in the United States but I personally would suggest you look at some other cities in the area. Yuba City is a flat area but you have a great view of the Sutter Buttes. And I'm not sure how small of a town your looking for but the Yuba City metro area is about 100,000 in population. Have you looked at Auburn or Grass Valley up in the mountains/hills. Both are small towns with about 20,000 people in their metro areas. Auburn has a nice selection of shopping centers for its size. It is also only about 15-20 minutes from Roseville, which has one of the best shopping areas in the Sacramento area. Grass Valley is about another 30 mintues north of Auburn and a beautiful city as well.

Yuba City has a lot of new housing developments and is growing pretty fast. Auburn and Grass Valley are growing like any city in California but at a slower rate.

Good luck!

Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 22,877 times
Hi yes I live 7 miles south of yuba city and small town is not exactly what is there anymore. We are being overcrowded by so many subdivisons of people who are looking for a killer price on a house. We are somewhat of a bedroom community. Yuba city has more shopping than anywhere else in 30 mile radius. Most of the newcomers to the area are from sacramento and work there and spend all there money in another county. Lots of little town roads and only two bridges for both countys and sooo much traffic and all not enough money from the countys here to care about the people who pay there paycheck. A lot of different types of backgrounds here in the people and many ethnic groups of all sorts. Illegals flood here like all of ca. Good luck and hope you like yuba city...

Old 09-15-2006, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 9,191 times
Talking Yuba City Calif???????

We moved here from Sacramento 13 years ago.We thought that the small town atmosphere would be great for the whole family. The beautiful buttes
and orchards surrounds the small community schools are okay. It depends on which area of town you live. They built a brand new High School
west of town ,and currently building a grammar school in south Yuba City.My grandaughter attends Barry Elementry. So far she likes it, and the Teachers are really wonderful. We live south of Y.C. and my girls did'nt have a choice of schools. The high school is in town. My daughters did'nt like it. It is who you know,like if you make the basketball team or getting a job. Its like living in a good old boys town. My girls were very unhappy. There is nothing for kids to do here. There is alot of gangs. Alot meth and drugs. The city council are adiots,its like a side show. Y.C. is a very depressed area and feels backwards.
I only live 1 hour from Sacramento, but the hourly wage here compared to the same job in Sacramento is unbeliveable. When you apply for a job and your
more than qualified. You won't get it! They already know who their going to hire.Its either an illegal, an old friend, or the Judge's mistress. We are selling
our house, and leaving this place. Chico Ca is 1 hour north and is very nice.I
wish we would have moved there when our kids were young. We now are retired and leaving Calif altogether. Good Luck!!!!!!

Old 09-28-2006, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 27,148 times
In my opinion, the only thing that gives Yuba City a "small town feel" is that there's nothing to do there but to to Wal-Mart. That sense of community and safety, that quaint and charming feel of a small town... not in Yuba City.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:12 PM

890 posts, read 2,632,879 times
I live in Placer County, not too far away, I would have to agree with the negative comments. Yuba City doesn't have a good reputation, and hasn't since I've lived in this area, going on 25 years now. It's a farming, rural community, but yet doesn't have that warm, small-town feel you'd get in other similar communities.
As far as diversity goes, one poster said it wasn't. That's not true. Because of the agriculture, there are a lot of Hispanic farm workers who also live in the area. And also a lot of Sihks (the men wear the big turbans), who are from India. That may seem strange, but they came to this area in the 70's and 80's and bought a lot of farmland (mostly rice fields) because in India, rice is a staple crop, so they know what they are doing in regards to farming it.

Old 09-30-2006, 08:33 AM

1,900 posts, read 1,947,459 times
That is the 1870's and 80's for the Sikhs

Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM

1,953 posts, read 5,506,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidBlue View Post
I've never lived in Yuba City, but I have friends that did. The area reminds me of the mid west. It's flat and the area has lots of rice fields and wheat fields (probably why a nearby town is called Wheatland). The area has OK schools. I can't remember any "distinguished schools" being located in Yuba City, at least recently. There are Russian and Hmong immigrants living in the area also. There is a local population of Chinese-Americans, but other than that almost no diversity with the remainder of the residents being almost all white.

It's still a small town and doesn't have much in the way of shopping (malls), etc. But like most towns within an easy drive of Sacramento and the tsunami-like growth near Sacramento, it is starting to grow rapidly with many people that don't mind the drive to Sacramento to work, finding very reasonable housing prices (for CA) and the area is getting more of a residential feel to it.

The weather is like Sacramento but it's usually a little hotter (that's real hot) because Sacramento normally gets a nice delta breeze in the evening. To check out what the weather is like, check out Red Bluff--Yuba City is similar.

Hope this helps.
there is no local population of Chinese Americans in Yuba City? very few Chinese in the area, mostly southeast asian [Hmong & Lao]

Old 04-23-2008, 09:05 PM

4,873 posts, read 11,274,737 times
There's the Yuba-Sutter mall. Yuba and Sutter county brings the two combined county's population to 160,000 population. Most entertainment is in Sacramento.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California