Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2008, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 5,874 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are a family of 3, moving to California, not sure where yet!! (malibu, oxnard, thousand oaks, westlake, etc) from Portugal, been here 2 years, although have lived in Spain all my life, although I am a US citizen.
Any advise/information on preschools (my son will be 3 in March) jobs? Admin/clerical/receptionist, I speak spanish if its helpful, we will also need somewere to live 2-3 bedroom. I have noticed that most rentals are not furnished!! Is this a normal thing? We have somewere to stay fo the first few weeks, but really havent got a clue where we would like to live!!
Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 08:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisyalam View Post
Hello, we are a family of 3, moving to California, not sure where yet!! (malibu, oxnard, thousand oaks, westlake, etc) ....

I am a US citizen.
Any advise/information on preschools (my son will be 3 in March) jobs? Admin/clerical/receptionist,...

need somewere to live 2-3 bedroom.
What is your housing budget?

Growing Place Preschool in Westlake Village.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:46 AM

$2000 a month, obviously as less as possible, not sure if that is within reason, I know malibu is very expensive, so maybe that is out of the question I guess,
I will chek out the preschool, we are considering westlake
Thanks

Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,075,147 times
Malibu is expensive, and inconvenient, too (if I can be so bold). Could you answer some more fundamental questions, perhaps? The areas you mentioned in your original post are all in and around Ventura County. This is an area with a lot of different things to offer. Ventura County is roughly defined "east" and "west," so let's start with that.

East (Westlake, Thousand Oaks, Moorpark, Simi Valley), inland, it's hot, politically conservative, mostly Caucasian, can be pricey, poor public transportation, know for good schools. These are basically bedroom communities where most people travel to L.A. for work.

West (Camarillo, Ventura, Oxnard, Port Hueneme, Santa Paula), coastal, mild climate, politically center-left to liberal, around 50/50 Caucasian/Latin, can also be pricey but has a mix of housing giving you more options, better public transportation, schools are good and bad so you should research on an individual basis. The west is too far from L.A. to be a direct suburb of it, so people tend to live and work in and around the immediate area. Some commute to Santa Barbara.

Jobs of the type you describe should be available throughout the county, but might be easier to find in the west county as there are a lot of small businesses in Oxnard/Ventura/Camarillo. Your Spanish skills will serve you well anywhere in Ventura County, though you'd probably get more use for it in the west than east. Multi-lingual receptionists are sought after, so make sure to point out that you speak Spanish.

I guess my message to you is this: with as much variety as you're likely to find in the areas you're considering, try to better define likes/dislikes beyond price. Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by Winston Smith; 11-20-2008 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: clarity and grammar.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:52 AM

Thank you so much for your information, I will do some research now and take it from there. I might be back with more questions if that is ok.
Thanks again

Old 11-20-2008, 07:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aisyalam View Post
Hello, we are a family of 3, moving to California, not sure where yet!!

Any advise/information on preschools (my son will be 3 in March) jobs? Admin/clerical/receptionist,
Where are you (two) going to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California