Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdy1985 View Post
Now I'm back to reality in the super cold, dreary, midwestern winter.
I really feel for you because I know how dreary those winters can be (I used to live in the northeast). It basically took us five years of planning and career changes to get here but it's been totally worth it. Best of luck to you and best wishes. I hope you can get here soon.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
I have always wondered why California seems intent on running business out of Claifornia! I had a friend leave last year for Las Vegas. He said Nevada was more business friendly. Less fees, taxes and regulations.
I've heard this complaint for many years, that CA is "anti-business" and runs businesses out of state by way of taxes, fees, regulations, etc. I admit that taxes and business fees are higher in CA than, say, Nevada, and that regulations are sometimes strict, but if those conditions are so detrimental to business, why does CA have the strongest economy in the country?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
I've heard this complaint for many years, that CA is "anti-business" and runs businesses out of state by way of taxes, fees, regulations, etc. I admit that taxes and business fees are higher in CA than, say, Nevada, and that regulations are sometimes strict, but if those conditions are so detrimental to business, why does CA have the strongest economy in the country?
That's a good question, and my uneducated guess is that is has something (or everything?) to do with the shipping industry, the entertainment industry, and the sheer size of the state population.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:05 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,636 times
And a good college system plus a place where successful people have wanted to live. Plus an inexhaustable supply of cheap (Mexican) labor. The question is where is CA headed from here. Third highest unemployment rate among the 50 states. A terrible budget crisis that is getting worse. Maybe it will bounce back and be golden again. Or maybe CA is sentering a new phase.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:43 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
What questions might you have? What kind of business are you looking to open?
Don't laugh but i want to grow organic vegetables and do some home remodeling. We have quite a few vegetable growers that cater to the local restaurants in the Napa-Sonoma area. it appears to be a growing business!

As for the remodeling as more people hold onto their homes replacing kitchens, baths etc. would seem a good way to go.
I still need to do some research on both ventures.

I will have to determine what the needs are in the area.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Don't laugh but i want to grow organic vegetables and do some home remodeling. We have quite a few vegetable growers that cater to the local restaurants in the Napa-Sonoma area. it appears to be a growing business!

As for the remodeling as more people hold onto their homes replacing kitchens, baths etc. would seem a good way to go.
I still need to do some research on both ventures.

I will have to determine what the needs are in the area.

You can take a look at slohomeimprovement.com, it seems to be a fairly legit site on the local home improvement industry. We have a lot of kitchen/bath places and quite a bit gets done through Home Depot as well. As for organic farming, land is ridiculously expensive and there are already quite a few established organic farms, including Cal Poly. Have you ever been to SLO Farmers Market? It's huge, a lot of local buyers/growers, I hear it's a tough market to break into.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:04 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
You can take a look at slohomeimprovement.com, it seems to be a fairly legit site on the local home improvement industry. We have a lot of kitchen/bath places and quite a bit gets done through Home Depot as well. As for organic farming, land is ridiculously expensive and there are already quite a few established organic farms, including Cal Poly. Have you ever been to SLO Farmers Market? It's huge, a lot of local buyers/growers, I hear it's a tough market to break into.
Thanks for the research leads JJ. I had no idea that Cal Poly had organic farms. They sell produce to the public for profit?
I have been to the Arroyo Grande Farmer's market but not the SLO one.
I would assume it is much bigger. I want to have more visits to scope out all the little towns to see which one is the best fit.

The one thing that I have going for me in the remodel business is also a background in design. Most contractors do not have that expertise.

Well even if the organic veggies is not the way to go I will still be able to grown my own as the climate is so perfect. I believe it is an 11 month growing season. That beats Chicago anytime.

Thanks again JJ for you information.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 PM

8 posts, read 28,096 times
Default remodels... as a job choice.

Construction is very tough in SLO right now. There is a bright spot in the general handyman area.... but it requires knowing lots of people.... and getting referred by them to others. Lots of folks need small things done... one or two day jobs... or half day jobs... but they need to find you. Only very well connected contractors are busy. There are a few remodels still happening right now... but not nearly as many as there were 2 or 3 years ago.

It is a great place to live though. It was 82 today... Jan 12! What a wonderful indian summer day. Makes up for those cold days a few weeks ago.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:00 PM

8 posts, read 28,096 times
Default slo grown

also... check out:

San Luis Obispo County Farmers Market

There is a strong local food movement in SLO...

After the SLO thursday night farmers market... if you come on the first thursday of the month... meet at the mission plaza (in front of the mission) at 9:30 pm and bring your bike... with a light and a rear reflector or light... for an amazing experience. Between 300 and 700 bicyclists ride three laps around downtown.

Bikes are happening…

SLO is an amazing town... once you start digging in you find it is a very deep rabbit hole full of amazing places and people and quiet secrets about how to live a better life.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:28 AM

169 posts, read 764,706 times
Yes, Dean Trails, Cal Poly has a HUGE organic garden that sells boxes of food to people weekly. It is wonderful. By buying the boxes, we help educate the kids on organic growing, and enjoy wonderful fruits and vegetables ourselves.
That would be a very hard market to break into, I would say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California