Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:09 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,942,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmiling View Post
Yes, Dean Trails, Cal Poly has a HUGE organic garden that sells boxes of food to people weekly. It is wonderful. By buying the boxes, we help educate the kids on organic growing, and enjoy wonderful fruits and vegetables ourselves.
That would be a very hard market to break into, I would say.
Thanks for all of the information. It appears my future plans have been shot down. No remodeling jobs and an over abundance of organic food...

Guess I will shuffle off to Buffalo.....

Old 01-13-2009, 11:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,434,801 times
Do they still have Poly Royal [party royal i think they used to call it]? Or did that little riot a few years back put an end to it?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:46 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,942,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Do they still have Poly Royal [party royal i think they used to call it]? Or did that little riot a few years back put an end to it?
I heard a friend say that it is still discontinued. I always wanted to try a Polyburger.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 15,526 times
Default Retirement in San Luis Obispo

I plan to retire soon and wanted to find a modular home in a newer ACTIVE over 55 community. Are there such places in SLO? Do you buy or rent the space? Any idea of costs? Thanks.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:47 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,364,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
I've heard this complaint for many years, that CA is "anti-business" and runs businesses out of state by way of taxes, fees, regulations, etc. I admit that taxes and business fees are higher in CA than, say, Nevada, and that regulations are sometimes strict, but if those conditions are so detrimental to business, why does CA have the strongest economy in the country?
Actually, personal experience here, as a Cal Poly alum and former long time resident of SLO, I can attest to CA's anti-business climate, especially for those wanting to work in several states. They go after every half penny they can grab, stringent rules, difficult paperwork. Tax on everything.

And not sure where you're getting the 'strongest economy in the country' - your Gov doesn't even claim that right now:
Governor's Budget - Economic Outlook (http://govbud.dof.ca.gov/BudgetSummary/ECO/1249562.html - broken link)

Alaska is strong with it's oil and so is Texas.
At the end of 2008, strongest economy in the US was Utah.
South Dakota is one of the states whose tourism has actually continued to go up due to its affordability. Real estate is still reasonable. People are friendly.

Here's the link from Forbes on the strongest housing markets for 2009
America's 25 Strongest Housing Markets - Forbes.com

Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 PM

566 posts, read 1,934,037 times
"The strongest economy". That's the old CA. Before decades of one-party Democrat rule over California. The new CA: the highest unemployment rate in the western US and the fourth highest in the entire US. That's not my idea of a strong economy. Thanks Dems. Maybe you can do the same for the rest of the country.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:47 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,281,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
Thanks Dems. Maybe you can do the same for the rest of the country.
Give me a break ...

It can't be any worse than what Bush and the Republican Congress did to this country for the last eight years. We're having the worse recession since the great Depression ...

Under Republican leadership and deregulation. The entire financial system is collapsing ... which, btw, is why you lost by a landslide.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:35 AM

Democrats held control of the congress since the last congressional elections. And it was Democrats whose lack of oversight and political manipulating of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac caused the housing meltdown. But now that BO is calling the shots with a solid Democrat majority congress we can look forward to having it all straightened out. The way they are handling the "stimulus" (pure pork) bill is a good demonstration of what the future holds. It's CA on a national level.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:28 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,281,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
And it was Democrats whose lack of oversight and political manipulating of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac caused the housing meltdown.
This is getting way off topic but ... you are so wrong.

The Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight (OFHEO) is headed by a Director appointed by the President for a five-year term. James Lockhart was nominated by President George W. Bush to become the Director of OFHEO, and was confirmed by the U.S. Senate on June 15, 2006. OFHEO's mission is to promote housing and a strong national housing finance system by ensuring the safety and soundness of Fannie Mae (Federal National Mortgage Association) and Freddie Mac (Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation). OFHEO works to ensure the capital adequacy and financial safety and soundness of two housing government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) -- Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Office of Federal Housing Enterprise Oversight

Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 PM

Yes way off topic. Bush threw up a red flag some time ago. This mess belongs in the lap of Barney Frank who should be in jail. Enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California