Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:20 PM

121 posts, read 342,210 times

Advertisements

Some of these posts say they don't know what Morro Bay will be like w/o the stacks, but I say: let them come down. I don't even live there, but I hate looking at photos of that beautiful area with those things towering over everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 04:24 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
I grew up in Morro Bay. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I actually didn't that there are plans to bring the stacks down soon. A few years ago, Duke Energy sold the plant to a private company from the East Coast, I think New Jersey? I guess I'm out of the loop, I'll have to read up.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 4,841 times
I am planning on moving to the SLO area and commuting to Visalia once a week for work. My wife an are 28, no kids, and like to walk out the front door to a market , bar, or restraunt and sit by a nice body of water and relax. Where would you recomend living? Should I just move to Visalia? Currently we live in Richmond VA, in an area called the Fan (a old town area just outside "downtown" with colonia style rowhousing). We love just sitting on the porch and watching people walk by, heading over to the local restraunt/bar for Sunday breakfast or Friday music, or going to the River and catching some sun. Thanks.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaleypa View Post
I am planning on moving to the SLO area and commuting to Visalia once a week for work. My wife an are 28, no kids, and like to walk out the front door to a market , bar, or restraunt and sit by a nice body of water and relax. Where would you recomend living? Should I just move to Visalia? Currently we live in Richmond VA, in an area called the Fan (a old town area just outside "downtown" with colonia style rowhousing). We love just sitting on the porch and watching people walk by, heading over to the local restraunt/bar for Sunday breakfast or Friday music, or going to the River and catching some sun. Thanks.
SLO - Visalia is quite a distance. Maybe doable once a week depending on your tolerance for long commutes on 2-lane roads, some with high accident potential. You might try posting your question to a new thread. Consider a title containing "SLO - Visalia commute" to maximize feedback from C-D users who know both cities and the travel between them. You should be able to find ample info on the characteristics of life in SLO or Visalia form existing threads. The wild-card for you seems to be the commute. Good luck!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:02 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,484,450 times
Quote:
If you prefer the mountains and mountain streams for recreation Visalia is your choice. If you prefer the ocean the SLO is the way to go. When it comes to overall quality of life I dont think you can do better than SLO.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:28 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
Quote:
You have a few possibilities here. I'd recommend either Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo or Los Osos. Los Osos will be the most affordable. If a body of water to walk to isn't an absolute, then look into Paso Robles.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:26 AM

84 posts, read 293,268 times
Default Morro Bay is wonderful..

Morro Bay is wonderful...I LOVE going to Morro Bay. I daydream about that place. I live about 1 1/2 hrs. from that place and wish that I lived there! The people are super nice. The restaurants are laid back and you get to have FRESH SEAFOOD. You can enjoy the awesome beach, the boardwalk with the speciality shops (The Shell Shop is a must see), they have their own little aquatic zoo (little but interesting), you can fish off of the pier, the weather is cool, and is a safe little town to walk around and enjoy.

Like I said before.. I wish I lived there (but no jobs for me unfortunately).

Old 06-13-2012, 05:17 PM

13 posts, read 28,579 times
Default What about the cold?

I'm planning on escaping the cold, rainy weather in the Pacific Northwest this year. I'm from Manhattan Beach, which was a lot like Morro Bay when I grew up in the 50's (now completely ruined by rich people!). However, when I compare the temperatures between western WA and Morro Bay, it just seems like there's not much sun in either, and at 60 F in June, you might as well call it what we do, Junuary! I want to be near the beach, but not so near as to be covered with the marine layer everyday. Can you tell me what small cities or towns would be warmer, but still within a short drive to the beach? I don't have to commute anywhere. Thank you!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:35 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,683,178 times
The fog lessens as you move inland, 10 miles inland San Luis Obispo, little fog. Atascadero Paso Robles, littler fog.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:16 PM

8 posts, read 54,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
The fog lessens as you move inland, 10 miles inland San Luis Obispo, little fog. Atascadero Paso Robles, littler fog.

ya, happens quickly. 15 miles or so from Morro Bay to Atascadero and the temperature difference can be 35 degrees in the summer. the fog 'socks in' the coast only for a few miles.

imo, atascadero and paso get way too hot. SLO is 'just right'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California