Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:59 AM

29 posts, read 157,837 times

Advertisements

Which airport is better? Considering fares, congestion, getting to/from, delays, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 06:58 PM

5,647 posts, read 11,202,844 times
Depends on where you are flying to or from and where you are living or staying in Northern Cal. SFO is only choice for most international flights and has the most non-stop flights to east coast cities. Oakland or Sacramento will get you to most places in the western US and the big hub airports like Chicago, DFW, Cincinnati, Denver, Minneapolis, ATL.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:36 PM

852 posts, read 3,799,593 times
Oakland is much easier to get to and get around than SFO.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:36 AM

38,612 posts, read 22,598,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingLikeAGradStudent View Post
Oakland is much easier to get to and get around than SFO.
I could also remember that they had lots of wild rabbits/hares living in the vegetation next to the runways.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:21 AM

1,379 posts, read 6,403,840 times
I have flown and driven to both Sacramento and San Francisco. While SF and Sac are easy to get in and around for the most part. SF can get tricky with traffic. Also depending upon where you live in Sacramento it could be hard at certain times of the day.

I lived in Natomas which was a five minute drive to the Sacramento airport and we moved there for that specific reason. It was handy to get in and our of the Sacramento airport easily. Also the Sacramento airport has been growing steadily since it became an International airport some years back. It has a really good plan for growth and adding additional flights as well in the future.

Fares it really just depends on where you are going. My hubby travels a ton for business all across the country and we didn't see a significant difference in pricing from the airports.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-26-2007, 11:25 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,656,861 times
I used to fly out of Oakland all the time. Beats the pants off of SFO.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:18 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,731,941 times
While SFO has the most flights (both domestic and international), it's a pain in the **** to deal with, and often has long delays due to fog... it once got "fogged out" for 4 days, which stranded me in LA! They're also famous for losing luggage, and long-term parking is only available a few miles away.

Now to be more positive, I actually like San Jose's Muneta Airport the best. They have lots of cheap domestic flights, it's smaller (therefore easier to navigate & park), usually runs on time & doesn't lose much luggage. Only thing I hate is picking up people at the curb, since they have these hardcore parking Nazi-s... you can't park for more than 3 seconds, so your passenger has to literally be at the car door before you can stop! They did recently add a "cell phone waiting area", which should alleviate some of those issues - you can wait there until your passenger calls from the curb.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:19 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,731,941 times
How funny... they actually censored the word "a-rse", which I thought was the censored version of a--.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:40 PM

152 posts, read 626,113 times
Post which airport?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alovely1 View Post
Which airport is better? Considering fares, congestion, getting to/from, delays, etc.
I have always used Oakland and SFO until I discovered Sacramento. But it does depend on your destination.

From SFO I can go back East more easily for less money, with one stopover in Atlanta. Parking is the pits and the traffic sucks. Same with Oakland, but a bit easier to get to.

The one time I used San Jose, I hated the airport where we boarded...hot, dusty and under construction...no A/C.

I really like Sac though. It's convenient from East Contra Costa County (straight up I-5), lots of parking with frequent shuttles to the terminal and we use it when flying into Montana. Using it to fly back east would be better for us, but it does add to the fare

Last edited by fbcobrn; 02-26-2007 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: sp.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:53 PM

325 posts, read 1,468,118 times
Sacramento's airport can be very easy to deal with and some fares are great. You just aren't going to find the choices that you'll find with SFO or Oakland. Also depends on where you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California