Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:27 PM

800 posts, read 4,285,993 times

Advertisements

I've seen this study. It is funny because I live in a city in Michigan that made the top 25--won't say which one for security reasons LOL.

But, ironically, I'm half hour from Detroit which made the most dangerous #2 and well, a hour from Flint, MI which is #3 on most dangerous I believe. I go to Detroit all the time for concerts and to eat at restaurants--it's a great city...just don't walk around at night in the Cass Corridor.

It's funy too 'cause we're seriously looking at Mission Viejo which is in the top 25 of the safe cities. Wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 05:25 PM

50 posts, read 305,815 times
Default Your welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
I must second this article. It's quite a read. Thanks, mrvgs, for posting a link to it.
I just want any so cal members to know what is happening down there. I am suprised that this article even got published. It tells the problem of illegal immigration. To those of you who think I'm some kind of racist you need to know I am part hispanic. My mother was one of the first people in the 60's to do interpritaion work for the gov because she was bi-lingual. I went in to homes where only spanish was spoken and these poor people are 2nd class citizens. I hope this article opens some eyes on this issue.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:29 PM

777 posts, read 3,186,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud dweller View Post
Why are you people so afraid of gangs? I do not understand the entire idea,living in tough,cloudy Pittsburgh.We have visited the brothers and put them on notice,that we have 32,000 legally armed citizens in our neighborhood and we protect our women and children.
Wake up you cake-eaters defend yourselves,legally.Attack dogs,gun permits,hire some soldiers of fortune and get respect.
Maybe all that sunny weather has burned the intestial fortitude out of you.Work with the police and tell them what you are doing.
Protect your kids,for heaven's sake.
If I moved out there,things would be much different,
This is America-speak english only or get out.

And so what happens when you're at work and someone goes to your kids' school and (insert bad thing here)......you can't always watch your back 24/7. Here in Kookyfornia the criminals have more rights than the law abiding citizen

Old 03-01-2007, 07:00 PM

800 posts, read 4,285,993 times
Quote:
Hey Michigan Negrophobe,I will walk anywhere in America that I want-nite or day.This is America.My friends and I walk or drive anywhere anytime you damn sissy.Go hide behind your wife's skirt.
Never heard of such nonsense,where are the people who invented,built and fought for this country.If it were not were the good people red,white and black-there would be no America---take it back.
Let's see...
1) I have African-American friends who are afraid to walk around the Cass Corridor at night. Living in ANY big city is a good reason to be careful regardless of your race.
2) Don't call me racist. I used to live in Detroit as a kid.
3) I don't have a wife, but it'd be nice to have someone cook for me.

Thank you!

Old 06-19-2010, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 8,934 times
Oakland and Richmond are hands down, the most dangerous cities in California. Compton was bad back in The early 90's but Oakland has always been worse. In Southern CA, I would say certain neighborhoods are bad it just depends. Inglewood is pretty bad, Compton is definately not safe, but I wouldnt say it's the worst. Skyline in San Diego is bad. Pico District in LA is bad. Many Latino neighborhoods are worse than Compton. Echo Park, North Hollywood, Watts are very bad. Compton has just been hyped, because of the NWA rap group that came from there.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:30 AM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burl4 View Post
Oakland and Richmond are hands down, the most dangerous cities in California. Compton was bad back in The early 90's but Oakland has always been worse.
Oakland and Compton are not the same kind of city.

Compton is almost unanymously middle to lower income and has a below average level of educational attainment.. Oakland has a huge swath of wealth and privilege and has an above average percentage of college graduates. What's most interesting is that Oakland's very high crime rate is actually offset by the safe areas in the hills. So that means that Oakland's crime rate is actually lowered! Meaning without the hills to offset the flatlands, Oakland's crime rate would be much higher

Mind you, Im the biggest Oakland booster on this website, but we are definitely cognizant of the city's very serious crime problem.

At the same time, there are actually plenty of incredibly diverse middle class neighborhoods in Oakland that we are currently talking about in this thread over in the SF Forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...ass-areas.html

Here's a post of mine from that thread:

Upper Dimond is another area that straddles the line btwn Middle and Upper Middle Class.

Upper Dimond
Average Household Income: $72,309
Pop. Density: 10,355 per sq mile

Its a very diverse area as you can see. I love that about the neighborhoods we've been looking at. The diversity of peoples and cultures is amazing.

Anyway, Upper Dimond is closer to Downtown and is a major commuter area into SF too.

I love Dimond Park
http://2450palmetto.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/CIMG0230.25725437_std.jpg (broken link)

Home Prices in Upper Dimond are a higher than the other neighborhoods we've mentioned so far. I think that's due to its location closer in, as well as due to Glenview, Lincoln Highlands and Oakmore, which all border Upper Dimond. Not to mention the Dimond District which has retail, banks, restaurants etc.

Pics of Upper Dimond

Some homes currently for sale in Upper Dimond:

2bd/1bth for $339,000

2bd/1bth for $429,000

2bd/1bth for $499,000

3bd/2bth for $539,000

And our thread doesnt even talk about Oakland's numerous safe hill areas.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 06-20-2010 at 11:39 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 11:47 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Hate the McMansions, love the mid-century and older cottage examples.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:01 PM

36,623 posts, read 67,123,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Hate the McMansions, love the mid-century and older cottage examples.
I love both.

The cottages and bungalows in older California areas are my favorite tho.

Another middle class neighborhood in Oakland that has plenty of those is Maxwell Park.

Maxwell Park
Average Household Income: $74,057
Pop. Density: 9,757 per sq mile

http://www.kphillips.com/listings/34715_IMAGE1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.kphillips.com/listings/Allendale-photo.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-20-2010, 12:18 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
I could SO live there. Reminds me of some of my favorite L.A. neighborhoods.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:24 PM

577 posts, read 1,754,383 times
This thread was started 3 years ago....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California