Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:31 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times

Advertisements

The safest and most dangerous cities list.

[url]http://www.morganquitno.com/safecity.htm[url]

Mission Viejo, Thousand oaks, Simi Valley, Irvine and San Diego are just some of the Safest cities in California.

Is your town on the list? Click on "Top/Bottom 25" to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2007, 08:17 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,140 times
statistics aren't relaible... departments thats report them also skew reporting though creative crime classification...especially in cities where police chiefs serve at the whim of the mayor or city council...

seat of the pants and my experience tell me.,,, its safe or not

simi valley (some call slimey valley) has a nice lil bunch of gangbangers.. T.O. always seems to come out high in studies,,, but it too has some areas of concern... I used to live and police outside both of these cities.. I guess the amount of police and fireman who live in them offset some of the idiots

Old 02-27-2007, 12:06 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
simi valley (some call slimey valley) has a nice lil bunch of gangbangers.. T.O. always seems to come out high in studies,,, but it too has some areas of concern... I used to live and police outside both of these cities.. I guess the amount of police and fireman who live in them offset some of the idiots
This is quite the case. Though it's not fashionable to say so. You mentioned "Slimey Valley"; I'll add "Thousand Jokes."

Question for you, notmeofficer. It seems to me that our fear or perception of crime is often out of line with reality. What I mean is that we sometimes imagine (for whatever reason) that an area is more crime plagued than is actually the case. In your law-enforcement experience, would you say this is true? If so, to what degree?

Parallel to this, isn't it also the case that we could be victims of crime in areas that claim safety because of who we are and how we behave? I've often wonered how much this plays a role in our potential for being crime victims.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 02-27-2007 at 12:20 AM..

Old 02-27-2007, 01:47 AM

252 posts, read 1,127,540 times
Well, anybody can tell you your home is only a short drive away for any gang in Socal, no matter where you live.
No matter what they say about Irvine. TO or Simi, I'd rather be there than in LA proper or Santa Ana, Hawaiian Gardens

Old 02-27-2007, 03:58 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Just from what I know (and having called the police station) I'd rather live in an area that isn't LAPD because the LAPD is overworked and understaffed.

Just as an example:

We called the Rampart division LAPD because someone was breaking into all the cars parked on the street and stealing the car stereos. This was in broad daylight. The LAPD said "Is anyone hurt?" We said "No." They said "We aren't coming for this."

We had noisy neighbors in Burbank so we called the Burbank police department. They said "You are the 37th caller. We are sending someone right out." They sent out EIGHT police cars and they confiscated our neighbors stereo equipment. (Huge 6' tall speakers! He was really noisy! He had to go to court to try and get his speakers back!)

Anyway -- Burbank yeah! LAPD nay!

Old 02-27-2007, 11:33 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
I'll also chime in, as a retired LEO....

If you go somewhere outside of LAPD's area, look at if it's a city PD (Burbank), unincorporated county area (LASO), or incorporated city that has chosen to contract with LASO for services. See....contract cities can require a minimum staffing level, so if an LASO station comes up short on deputies on a shift, they will "rip" from the county cars to fill the contract spots that they MUST fill.

As a former deputy, I think they all do an awesome job, but they are ENABLED to do a better job in contract cities where they're not spread too thin and often working a couple cars short. A city PD can be outstanding IF the city has a healthy tax revenue base (Ontario, Whittier, Huntington Beach, etc). Of it can be really bad and on the brink of financial collapse at risk of getting disbanded and taken over by the Sheriff's Department.

This does not hold true in EVERY case, since some contract cities don't pay for enough coverage to have a realistic response to crime (Palmdale, Lancaster, Elsinore, etc), but it's a general rule that county cars get the short end of the stick on staffing too often...

Just my $.02....

Old 02-28-2007, 01:02 AM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times
One thing is sure....they were right on in naming Compton as a dangerous city (#4). I can't believe I survived for a year there in the mid 80's. Probably wouldn't today for sure.

I feel the city I live in is fairly safe (Norco in the IE). It's a little horse town, and a lot of the folks here are the "ask questions later after we take care of business" type

Old 02-28-2007, 01:16 PM

50 posts, read 306,315 times
Default Welcome to Mexifornia

Read this story. Victor a 16 year old kid wishes he could move 'back to Compton'.

http://www.laweekly.com/general/feat...-forgot/15731/

Old 02-28-2007, 02:26 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvgs View Post
Read this story. Victor a 16 year old kid wishes he could move 'back to Compton'.

What a mess. If I still lived there (being white and all) I'm sure I would be dead

Old 02-28-2007, 03:17 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,142 times
Default Eye opener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvgs View Post

I must second this article. It's quite a read. Thanks, mrvgs, for posting a link to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California