U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 07:12 PM

18 posts, read 101,738 times

Advertisements

Hello. I expect to be moving to California soon and was wondering if the process of registering a car to meet CA standards is much different than any other state.

For example, where I live now, I go get safety and emissions checks (they're always fine), then I hand over proof of the checks plus about 40 bucks and I get my new plates.

Does CA have different standards or a different process? Do I even need to register my car with CA plates? I actually don't know how this works very well.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 07:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 37,452,161 times
I believe you have to register your car in CA within 10 days of moving. Getting it smogged is easy. Take to a test-only station (lots of gas stations are) and get it tested. They'll give you a certificate and also electronically file it with the DMV.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:17 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,341,481 times
It's also very costly if your car is from out of state and doesn't meet CA admission standards. They charge quite a bit for that.

V. =)

Old 11-24-2008, 09:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 18,191,249 times
im fairly sure its the same fee structure as purchasing a car new, which is:

vehicle license fee(VLF) which is .65% of the price of the vehicle(they round the base amount to the nearest 200$) - this goes down year to year as the vehicle depreciates though im not sure of how they calculate depreciation
32$ registration
10$ california highway patrol fee
1$ plate fee
approx 10$ in county fees(varies county to county, and sometimes by city or district)
weight fees for vehicles classified as trucks by the state
25$ or so for custom plates
various other amounts for plates with special designs/special causes

and depending on the age of the vehicle, various smog fees, including:
20$ smog abatement fee
3$ smog tech fee(which went into effect 7/1/08 along with the new abatement fee)

there are other fees involved as well, and not every fee applies annually, but you get the gist.

as a comparison, i have a 10 year old saturn sedan and my registration is around 80$.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:44 AM

7,474 posts, read 21,231,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
It's also very costly if your car is from out of state and doesn't meet CA admission standards. They charge quite a bit for that.

V. =)
Any car built in the last few years will meet California emission standards. Even if they don't, if you are moving here you can register it.
If you make a special trip out of state to buy a car to save money and bring it back, then you could be in trouble.
see link... New Vehicles or Vehicles Never Registered in California

Old 11-25-2008, 07:20 PM

6,664 posts, read 27,958,308 times
Make sure to bring proof of insurance.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:30 AM

9,866 posts, read 19,751,345 times
The ca dmv will rob you blind.Be careful of what smog station does your smog.Many are liars & cant be trusted.Go to a test only center cause they only test vehicles & do no repairs.The smog repair shops are the ones to be careful with.I did though get lied to at a test only smog station but that was cause the owner didnt want to honor my 10% off coupon.ugh!!

Old 11-30-2008, 03:15 AM

18 posts, read 101,738 times
Thanks for your comments and advice guys. I really appreciate it. I look forward to CA welcoming me with increased taxes, fees, fines, rules, laws, etc.

I just checked and my 2000 model car has 50 state emissions (as of the year 2000 obviously). Hopefully that's good enough for them. If not, then maybe I will just take a cab home and leave my POS car in the parking lot for them to tow away.

I will at least make sure to bring all relevant documents and hopefully some spare time to do all this crap (thanks for the tips).

The best part about this CA car registration thing is that cars which run on fossil fuel produce ridiculous amounts of pollution regardless of whether they meet 49 or 50 state standards. I mean I get that CA likes to pretend to be a leader and all of that, but hahaha... give me a break.

I'll be sure to let my car idle in the parking lot while I'm inside the DMV since it meets CAs amazing emissions standards

Old 11-30-2008, 12:19 PM

6,664 posts, read 27,958,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EurekaPerson View Post
The best part about this CA car registration thing is that cars which run on fossil fuel produce ridiculous amounts of pollution regardless of whether they meet 49 or 50 state standards. I mean I get that CA likes to pretend to be a leader and all of that, but hahaha... give me a break.

I'll be sure to let my car idle in the parking lot while I'm inside the DMV since it meets CAs amazing emissions standards
Well when this smog issue was started 35 years ago you could not go outside in SoCA without your eyes burning. CA did require smog devices where the other 49 states did not care. It was a good thing for all when the other states started caring.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 2,425 times
know this if you do not register your car within 20 days of ariving in ca to stay you will recive a fine... mine was 156.00 so if i were you do it asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California