Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2008, 06:51 PM

7 posts, read 25,947 times

Advertisements

Hi all..without saying too much at first, let's just ask the question..
Susanville or Tehachapi?
Need more info to help me with my decision? Just ask..
Any thoughts on either town is welcome, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 09:33 PM

764 posts, read 2,024,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akidrockmom View Post
Susanville or Tehachapi?
For...who? A family? A single person? An older person? Someone who needs employment in one of the cities?

Old 11-27-2008, 10:25 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,129,026 times
I'd have to say Tehachapi.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
For...who? A family? A single person? An older person? Someone who needs employment in one of the cities?
A family with 2 small children, we would put in a transfer for Tecachapi. We have been in Susanville for 4 years and are established here. We are thinking of moving to Tecach to be closer to family, however we would have to start all over again, sometimes that's tough in a small town

Old 11-29-2008, 09:00 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,912,102 times
Are you (or you S/O) employed by the prison system (hence your request for a "transfer")?

Old 11-29-2008, 11:59 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,357,038 times
Good luck with your move. Transfers are moving super fast for some reason right now.

Old 12-11-2008, 02:54 PM

Yes, husband is a CO. So there was a post saying that transfers were moving fast about now. How fast is that? 30 days? 60 days? we put in a trasfer packet last june and nothing. We were thinking of putting in another one in Jan09. A little concerned about having to move and the winter season. Anyone think there may be bad weather/lots of snow to hinder the trip? Maybe Mammoth? Any suggestions or info about relocating to Tecachapi? I would love to hear it. Probably going to rent before buying. Any tips on what part of town. We are in our late, late thirties and have 2 boys under 3. We would like to be within walking distance to a nice park for kids, we go several times a week. Also, we are pretty "low-key" and don't need a big fancy house, or places to park boats or big trucks. I do like to be close to things you can walk to like the grocery or corner market or whatever. I have been to the Kb development there, it's nice but I think I would like a little more character in a neighborhood, although I've been watching Realtor.com and it seems there are a few bargins in there. We did go to another development that had an awsome park, but it I don't remember it being close to much. Maybe an older established area with well maintained houses? You tell me where to look! Thanks

Old 12-11-2008, 03:13 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,357,038 times
If you haven't heard anything, your hubby should re-submit. Transfers usually take 3-6 months. But by now you should have heard yes or no. Have your hubby ask around and find out from other guys that have transferred what he should do. Has he taken the Sgt test? Some that have are getting transfers really fast, about 30 days.

Old 03-18-2009, 12:40 AM

1 posts, read 5,185 times
Thumbs up Susanville

Quote:
Originally Posted by akidrockmom View Post
Susanville or Tehachapi?
Hello, I have lived in Janesville, CA just 11 mins away from Susanville. JANESVILLE has the best schools in the Valley except Richmond in Susanville is running a close second. If you like the outdoors then Susanville is the place. About 1 hour from Reno, nv so most of your big shopping should be done there. I liked the area, but pretty desolate for most...just so far from civilization. If you do go to Susanville, drive towards Quincy via Lake Amador just before you get to Hwy 70 is Indian Falls....WOW...beautiful day excursions. Worth the 30-45 mins. drive. Bring food, water, and watch for Rattle snakes. Lots of history. Get quads, and a 4x4 truck with a wench to pull yourself out. Watch the desert...can be dangerous. Mud HOLES will swallow cars. Get with the locals, they know about all the area secrets...especially the natives. Watch for the nymph...little people everywhere...NATIVE FOLKLORE...OR IS IT???!!!! If you need information about the area, Bureau of Land Management will give you ideas and so will the US Forestry, both on the same road in Susanville. WATCH OUT A BIGGGG "SWINGER" Community with the Prison bunch!!!!! Do not know much about Tehachapi...good luck.

Last edited by sgustin; 03-18-2009 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: Adding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California