Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 07:03 AM

14 posts, read 61,128 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I think I've just about had it with New Hampshire winters! I love small towns, safety is a concern, but driving to get around isn't. Nightlife doesn't matter to me either.

My husband is in the art business and is a kayak instructor/surf-kayaker as well as a fireman, and I own a 24-room inn/restaurant and have been a journalist for 23 years. I also run women's retreats. We have a college student, a teenager and a younger child, love mountains and water, are sober and practice Buddhism (jeez, this is sounding like a Personals ad! ). We were looking in either Orange County (Aliso Viejo and Laguna) or Santa Cruz (Aptos, Capitola, Scotts Valley, etc.), but of course the websites aren't going to tell you about gangs and seedy areas. It all sounds nice, but that can't be the case.

Price is a factor, but I'm originally from New York and spent 20 years in the Hamptons, so I won't be as surprised by the difference in the cost of living.

Any suggestions? I would love to open an inn out there as well...

Last edited by LostinNH; 12-01-2008 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Added personal info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 11:38 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
How unusuall - another semi-vague "where should I live in California?" posting.

How much were you planning on spending for housing? A house in the areas you mentioned (with 3 kids) could run about $800K - $1 mil (and a lot more in Laguna Beach). The area around Santa Cruz, including towns north of Santa Cruz such as Boulder Creek and Felton would probably work for you. Another area to look at is the northern California coast from about Fort Bragg north to Crescent City - lower cost of living but jobs might be limited.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:53 AM

14 posts, read 61,128 times
Thanks Humboldt -
Yes, I know it's vague....I feel the same way when New Yorkers ask me about moving to NH. Do you want beach or mountains? City or country? Moose or squirrel?

The price of the home isn't as much of a concern as good schools, and a safer, small-town atmosphere. I like a little space...right now I'm on 20 acres with 60-mile mountain views. Don't expect I'll be able to afford that on the West Coast. Jobs don't really matter either.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to look at the towns you mentioned.
Best,
Bridget LeRoy

Old 12-01-2008, 12:05 PM

764 posts, read 2,036,441 times
I would also look into Sonoma/Marin/Napa counties, based on your experience and interests.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:18 PM

371 posts, read 1,822,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinNH View Post

The price of the home isn't as much of a concern as good schools, and a safer, small-town atmosphere. I like a little space...right now I'm on 20 acres with 60-mile mountain views. Don't expect I'll be able to afford that on the West Coast. Jobs don't really matter either.
Small town atmosphere does not equal Orange County, just so you know right off the bat. It might equal Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz is a small city/large town, has lots of natural beauty (on coast, near redwoods, etc.), and is a liberal community, which based on your religion of choice sounds like more adaptable than the OC, which is actually quite conservative.

However, Santa Cruz is freaking expensive. Basically, no one can build there anymore, so there is a lot of demand. However it sounds like you have some capital to work with, so it may not be a problem.

beware of the northern CA coast. From the sound of it, you don't want to live in an isolated area. Eureka/Arcata, while not very small towns, are pretty much the most isolated towns on the coast of CA, so even though they're not too small, they feel small due to their location. There's Humboldt State, which has some good programs, but there's a good chance your kids would feel quite isolated living there. I don't know--check it out. You know your kids and what they need and I don't.

With that said, defenitely also check out San Luis Obispo (where I live). A lot of the things that can be said about Santa Cruz can be said about SLO when it comes to natural beauty, expense. It's a safe, smaller town, with good schools and a great 4-year college (Cal Poly). It's less expensive here than Santa Cruz, however, although also a little less liberal, if you're concerned about that.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:30 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,457 times
San Luis Obispo County. If you have the money, I'd say the City of SLO, Morro Bay and Los Osos area is pretty hard to beat. Schools and colleges here are excellent. It's safe here.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:35 PM

371 posts, read 1,822,701 times
BTW, Can i trade SLO for your New London? lol...

Old 12-01-2008, 01:03 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,304,764 times
The Sierra Foothills would suit you just fine. Anywhere along state highway 49 would suit. Of course I prefer Calaveras County

Old 12-01-2008, 01:24 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinNH View Post
Thanks Humboldt -
Yes, I know it's vague....I feel the same way when New Yorkers ask me about moving to NH. Do you want beach or mountains? City or country? Moose or squirrel?

Thanks for the input. I'm going to look at the towns you mentioned.
Best,
Bridget LeRoy
I also agree with the central CA coast - Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Arroyo Grande, Los Osos among other place in the area.

I also agree with DMenscha about the Sierra foothills between Placerville and south towards Sonora or Mariposa along Hwy 49. The area is full of historic gold rush towns - many with antique shops and bed & breakfast places. There are also lots of wineries/vineyards in the area. This would be one of your better chances to buy a few acres here rather along the coast without breaking the bank. This area is not as upscale as the Hamptons! California Hwy 49 Gold Country Mother Lode Business Shopping Restaurant Lodging

Old 12-01-2008, 02:12 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,759,649 times
if you like the hills, want to open a bed and breakfast type deal, etc, look north/northeast of OC in big bear, lake arrowhead, wrightwood, etc. more nature, lakes to kayak in, etc.

and id also look in the central coast like others have said. santa barbara, san luis obispo, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California