Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 25,371 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

Well, I currently live in Los Angeles California and I am going to purchase a home this year. Ive been looking at house prices and gosh is it expensive to live down here in LA and even on some of the worse areas such as Compton. I grew up near the Downtown LA and I am Hispanic so I am aware that living with my "raza" and other minorities can have it's Pros and Cons. I made my research and are seeing some great properties in Palmdale at a affordable price. How safe is Palmdale (compared to Central LA)?, Will I build equity if purchase something in Palmdale?, Has anyone commuted from Palmdale?, Hows the MetroLink ride from Palmdale to LA?, Any advice from anyone with a similar situation?. Thanks Everyone! Living in California is becoming nuts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 01:38 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,800,164 times
I strongly suggest a civilian ride-along with LASO deputies from the Palmdale station. It will give you a very good idea of where NOT to live in the area. Or go talk to their detectives who handle violent and property crimes. They can easily show you which areas to avoid (bring in a Thomas Guide to make notes on).

That area (at least last year when I was around there sometimes) was already getting over inflated on housing prices. I would be a bit concerned about a fall-off in prices, but if you're going to put a big down payment and stay a long time, that shouldn't be a big concern for you.

2005 violent crimes per 100,000 population:

LA city: 374
Palmdale: 344
Lancaster: 494 (ouch!)
US average: 463

But in that area, with the tweakers, you should also be thinking about property crimes. In a lot of those areas, anything not bolted down will get ripped off, and tagging was on the rise from my recollection. So I'd ask about those things too when talking to a detective or deputy.

Lots of my friends still living in that area commute to Santa Clarita area, some to LA. NONE of them like it one bit...unless they have staggered shifts or work nights so they're not in the worst traffic...

Old 03-01-2007, 02:38 PM

2 posts, read 25,371 times
Wow! I made a trip to Palmdale a couple night ago and wow, it is what they call "the boonies". Man so cold out there and reminds me of South Central. It is a long, long commute to head down to LA or Downey (where my job is at), so I think I am double thinking that decision. Rather, I am not focusing on Ontario, Rialto, Fontana. It seems that housing is a bit more pricey but not as secluded and there are many commute options.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:00 AM

5 posts, read 56,833 times
Default Compton North

I moved to Palmdale, CA in 1998 and stayed until 2005. In 1998, houses were boarded up; many people were "upside down" on their houses. Now, Palmdale housing prices have skyrocketed. However, if you are going to buy, stay on the Westside close to the parks and the mall. Prices will fall within the next 5 years, although it is difficult to time the market.

I have heard that cops in LA refer to Lancaster (North of Palmdale) as Compton North. A lot of people leave the LA area and arrive with the LA mentality. Lots of shootings and violent crimes. People from poverty often have a lot to prove. But, if you stay on the Westside and mind your own business, you won't have any problems.

The commute to LA is BRUTAL. If you have to do it, get a motorcycle, get life insurance, and lane split all the way down. Good luck.

Old 03-17-2007, 02:09 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,043,495 times
Exclamation Impending sub-prime crash in the AV

Don't know how true this is, but from what I hear, the Antelope Valley is "home" to a lot of sub-prime borrowers; housing prices there might come down drastically as the market floods with foreclosures, soon.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:00 AM

2 posts, read 19,224 times
dont move here. dont live here. even if you stay near the mall on the west side its no longer decent it has been taken over, its a complete dumping ground for la's nastiest trashiest people to come take over and ruin....stay as far away as you can. this town has nothing to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California