Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 09:01 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times

Advertisements

I moved here to Humboldt count on February 29th 1992. For the first seven years I lived in the Garberville and Redway area of Southern Humboldt county about 80 miles south. Humboldt county is a large and mostly rural county, high technology is taking its time getting to us with fiber optics only being about five years young. The population is standing at the 130,000 spot for the whole county. Eureka is the county seat and the largest town at 28,000, Arcata follows at over 17,000, McKinleyville next at close to 16,000 and Fortuna at over 7,000 strong. Many of these towns have surrounding smaller towns that are not incorporated. McKinleville, itself, is not incorporated. Farming is very strong here with a nation leading 4 H program. Every town has at least one dairy still in operation and the Challenge Dairy has farms in Arcata, Loleta and McKinleyville at least. Ferndale is a beautiful victorian town surrounded by farms and dairy's. The beaches are never crowded and you can still drive on beach at Clam beach, Centerville beach and Samoa Beach and on others with a permit.Here are pictures of Trinidad from Arcata's Mad river beach and from Trinidad looking south and a few nice sunsets and cows. Following are pictures of typical homes here in McKinleyville in the following ranges; A $900K home on the beach, a $600K 5000 sf tudor on 2 acres, a $500K home with almost 3000 sf. , a $450K home and one in the $300K range. I am not in real estate, I am a gardener and see and take care of homes that are often for sale. The tudor sold last year for 629 and the white house is for sale for 500 . The price of homes here is high for those that have lived here for a while and following the closing of our logging mills and the rip off of the Pacific Lumber companies employees by Hurwitz combined with fishing restrictions, native humboldt residents are being priced out. Most of my garden clients are home owners that have moved here from further south in the state and can afford to purchase a home here.
Attached Thumbnails
Humboldt County-happybovines.jpg   Humboldt County-pinksunset.jpg   Humboldt County-trinidadfromclambeach.jpg   Humboldt County-southfromtrinidad.jpg   Humboldt County-450khome.jpg  

Humboldt County-500khome.jpg   Humboldt County-600ktudor.jpg   Humboldt County-900konthebeach.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 07:02 AM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
Default Moving companies for Humboldt?

Thanks for the pictures, Dragonslayer. I've been researching a move to Humboldt. I love the scenery, the small towns, farms, etc. Am worried about jobs, but I'm pretty sure I could support myself.

Now I'm considering moving companies. Are there any "pack-it yourself" type companies that deliver household goods to Humboldt county? So far, I haven't seen any that go farther north than San Jose or San Francisco.

What is the most economical way to get my stuff (there's not much, but I want to keep it) from the east coast to Humboldt county?

Old 01-20-2008, 10:40 AM

I rented 2 moving vans when I moved here from Berkeley. I packed each one to the gills and headed north on 101. If you can afford to do this yourself, it would be a great way to see part of our country and it's landscape. A big enough van would allow you a little space to set up a cot in the back. Or if you have tow capability with your vehicle, tow a trailer.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:50 AM

7 posts, read 28,031 times
We two old retired folk would like to move to your area. We are on fixed incomes and are looking for a modest 2bed. for around $200,000 CASH. Is there hope for us?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 PM

54 posts, read 293,792 times
Dragonslayer, Nice post, with the pictures and all, and a balanced and reasonably accurate picture of HumCo. You ought to be in real estate.
minorbrew

Old 12-28-2008, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 9,444 times
im a 24 year old gal thats looking to move to eureka area,but im gonna start out by visiting to see if this is the town for me if theres someone else that is gonna be doin the same ting then contact me id like to chat and possibly not ave to do this alone.you can email me at Cali23@att.net

Old 12-30-2008, 12:22 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,105 times
Default housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrz View Post
We two old retired folk would like to move to your area. We are on fixed incomes and are looking for a modest 2bed. for around $200,000 CASH. Is there hope for us?
absolutely.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:27 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
I have nephews attending Humboldt State [probably ground zero for the Green party] & love it\ plan to stay forever if they can get jobs. It is a beautiful county with unbelievable redwood forests\ rivers\ coastline. Even the marijuana smoke-ins at the beaches is unique to Humboldt county [though they probably do the same thing in Santa Cruz

In some ways, Humboldt county is more like the old California of small towns & lots of open space.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I have nephews attending Humboldt State [probably ground zero for the Green party] & love it\ plan to stay forever if they can get jobs. It is a beautiful county with unbelievable redwood forests\ rivers\ coastline. Even the marijuana smoke-ins at the beaches is unique to Humboldt county [though they probably do the same thing in Santa Cruz

In some ways, Humboldt county is more like the old California of small towns & lots of open space.
I grew up in Pittsburg in the bay area and when I moved here to Humboldt county in 1992, it reminded me of parts of the bay area from the early sixties. Especially the east bay.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:46 PM

54 posts, read 293,792 times
Default Real Estate In Humboldt County

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrz View Post
PATRZ, If your are still interested in real estate in Humboldt County, I am associated with a real estate office in this area and would be happy to put you in touch with an outstanding realtor here. I think you would find him very knowledgeable and helpful. Please contact me by direct mail on this forum if I can be of help.
minorbrew
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California