Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 03:04 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,529 times

Advertisements

northboycravesmist sounds like he actually knows what he's talking about....all the problems here are always justified with "but the weather". Like the state can detoriate in terms of quality of life as much as it wants, but it's always okay because of the WEATHER!......the poster actually made a lot of sense. No more "but the weather" statements please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 03:20 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,624,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
northboycravesmist sounds like he actually knows what he's talking about....all the problems here are always justified with "but the weather". Like the state can detoriate in terms of quality of life as much as it wants, but it's always okay because of the WEATHER!......the poster actually made a lot of sense. No more "but the weather" statements please.
he made sense to you b/c he's another angry malcontent that moved to the wrong place, like I said, it's a personal problem that you guys have. If you prefer seasons and don't like mild, warm sunny weather year round not sure why the you would move here then, thats a mistake on your part. Also its not "just the weather" b/c many of us don't find it that bad and its not "just the weather" keeping us here.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:24 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I moved from Riverside this fall. Summer in Riverside was absolutely miserable. Temps in the high 90's,or higher, 50 or more percent humidity, sometimes up to 70 percent. It was drippy and hot and miserable. When I got to Oklahoma people told me it was humid and I said it sure didn't feel like it.

This was due to Arizona's monsoon arriving really early, but even without that its become far more humid and miserable each year. People water the desert and the humidity just builds. Add layers of grey yuck and smog (mountains which you can't see anymore) and the humidity and heat and the warm weather isn't nearly so inviting.
You know better than compare the summer humidity of SoCal to Oklahoma Come on now! It starts to get a little humid in July & can become uncomfortable w/out A/C but it all ends in late September. Our heat is generally a dry heat santa ana condition. It stays warm into autumn but it is dry heat. Oklahoma has unbearable humidity just like all Southern states for many many months.

The poster says he's lived in SoCal since 1984 [for almost 25 years!].. so why don't you move? You would love it up around Eureka or anywhere along the California coast north of Santa Barbara. If the weather sucks so bad I would have left sooner than 24 years!

Also, you & AKgirlinCA should be very happy by tomorrow because a record cold wave will invade California & it could stay cold for a week. Happy?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:10 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
You know better than compare the summer humidity of SoCal to Oklahoma Come on now! Oklahoma has unbearable humidity just like all Southern states for many many months.

Oklahoma....ever been?

Kind of funny. I know in Riverside (inland) it can be NASTY humidity and weather, add the smog in and there were days I could hardly breathe!!

I couldn't find humidity stats for riverside (probably for a good reason). In Tulsa during the month of July this year, average humidity was 61%, I know for a fact there were some rainy days in there, not so much in Riverside. I checked one day for Riverside and it was 52 RH. The average temp during July in Tulsa is about 10 deg cooler than in Riverside.

In July the weather is for sure better in Tulsa than in Riverside.

I don't recommend Tulsa though, it sucks here. People from Ca hate it here.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:09 PM

Yes, I have been in Oklahoma & spent several days in Oklahoma City visiting a good friend. I have also traveled thru Oklahoma\ Arkansas\ Missouri\ Texas, etc & know how humid the Midwest & the South can become during summer. Yes, it does get very hot in Riverside & the summer monsoon can send lots of humid air into California from Mexico. The desert areas are unbearable & Palm Springs can get very muggy. But the overwhelming heat in California is DRY esp once summer ends.

I can't believe anyone in Tulsa would claim that SoCal if more humid

Old 12-12-2008, 08:14 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,142,155 times
My momma taught me never to trust anyone who joins sentences with ellipses.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:50 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I can't believe anyone in Tulsa would claim that SoCal if more humid
you mean "is" more humid?

I didn't say that, I just said the summer weather in riverside is not much different than the summer weather in Tulsa. Actually I said the summer weather is a little worse in Riverside due to the poor air quality and lack of rain.

BTW Tulsa is not OKC. Tulsa is Green Country, OKC is not.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
you mean "is" more humid?

I didn't say that, I just said the summer weather in riverside is not much different than the summer weather in Tulsa. Actually I said the summer weather is a little worse in Riverside due to the poor air quality and lack of rain.

BTW Tulsa is not OKC. Tulsa is Green Country, OKC is not.
Do you mean green hillsides? I have seen photos of the Tulsa area that were beautiful [probably due to the summer rainfall]. That is a real problem for California. It never rains during summer [except rare thunderstorms] like it does in the rest of the nation east of the Rockies. Rain cleans the air but make it extremely humid.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:33 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,529 times
Is humidity really that big of a deal? I honestly can't comment on that because the only places I've ever lived are AK,WA, and now CA. All pretty much along the coast or close to. I'm sure I've experienced the "cold" humidity feeling, without really knowing it...but I'm sure that's completely different than a hot, humid feeling. I have visited Houston and Dallas and neither seemed to bother me much..and the temp. was somewhere around the 90s. People always seem to comment that a place being humid is such an awful thing.....Can't it just be tolerated and dealt with? If you can have a good quality of life somewhere and be financially stable...isn't dealing with humid air vs. dry air worth it???? Just my opinion...

Old 12-13-2008, 01:19 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
Is humidity really that big of a deal? I honestly can't comment on that because the only places I've ever lived are AK,WA, and now CA. All pretty much along the coast or close to. I'm sure I've experienced the "cold" humidity feeling, without really knowing it...but I'm sure that's completely different than a hot, humid feeling. I have visited Houston and Dallas and neither seemed to bother me much..and the temp. was somewhere around the 90s. People always seem to comment that a place being humid is such an awful thing.....Can't it just be tolerated and dealt with? If you can have a good quality of life somewhere and be financially stable...isn't dealing with humid air vs. dry air worth it???? Just my opinion...
The problem with heat and humidity is that you sweat just walking to the car in the morning. I hate that feeling of always being at least slightly sticky. I've been to Austin, TX in the spring and summer when its 102F with 60% humidity and by the end of the day you just want to sit there motionless because any movement just generates even more heat. I've also been to Denver in the summer when its 98F with 25% humidity and while its still hot, its a totally different (and much more comfortable) experience. At least with low humidity, your body's natural evaporation cooling system can work efficiently. In a humid environment, it'll feel hotter than the thermometer reads because you can't cool yourself properly. The worst part about the hot and humid South that its unrelenting. Its just day after day of heat and humidity for half the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California