Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:26 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA central coast View Post
The previous post said that he felt the hispanics had a problem with him and his (I assuming) white wife. I don't know, I don't live in Santa Maria. I grew up in this area. It is mostly white, and I have never seen anyone have a beef over interacial couples or black people. Morro Bay, my home town, is lilly vanilla white. I would be willing to bet anything that you wouldn't have a problem here. SLO Co. people don't care. That Santa Maria thing is interesting, but like I said, don't live there. If you have any reservations about Santa Maria, I'm going to recommend you look into Paso Robles. Paso Robles may be the place for you. Paso Robles has a small, but established black community. I know there is a least one, if not more black churches. No one cares about the white/black thing up here. It's a nice city, you should come up and take a look.
Agreed on the Paso Robles thing. People were very welcoming there when my wife and I would visit. My wife is black, not white. White people in Santa Maria don't seem to have a problem with interracial couples since so many of them are in an interracial relationship (usually white and hispanic or white and asian); white people in general in that area don't seem to have a problem with it which is kind of surprising seeing as how many of them are republicans.
Black people in Santa Maria are PART of the 3% of "other" races that live there according to their census data where Mexicans make up 51%. The second and third generation hispanics (mostly Mexican-Americans) that grew up there are more accepting but the new immigrants, who hardly speak spanish, let alone english are not. In the end, it has to do with lack of education and the numbers. It was dissapointing to say the least to find out that minorities are just as bad as white people have been historicaly in this country when the numbers are in their favor.
Then again, I've also heard that the same happened when hispanics started moving into areas like South Central (oops, I mean "south L.A.") and Crenshaw.
Again, I understand that it's a matter of education and it was evident since I always noticed that quite a few kids in the high schools out there in Santa Maria were part of diverse clicks. Too bad their parents couldn't follow their example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 06:59 PM

7 posts, read 19,182 times
Damn, why such negativity for santa maria? I have lived here all my life and dont think it has any more problems then its surrounding cities. The downtown mall is taking a little more time to remodel, but with a change in ownership, its expected to slow things down. The gangs are not a problem, yes, certain areas of the city are worse then others, but it is NOT anything like gang problems in other surrounding cities (lompoc for example). The people are friendly, the shopping is good, an the BBQ is some of the best in the world. Now it only comes down to a mater of opinion as to if its a good place to raise a family, and I say it is.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
white people in general in that area don't seem to have a problem with it which is kind of surprising seeing as how many of them are republicans.
You don't like it when people treat you badly for being part of an interracial couple, yet you do the same kind of thing when you're "surprised" that Republicans don't have a problem with interracial couples.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,718,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman2 View Post
Damn, why such negativity for santa maria? I have lived here all my life and dont think it has any more problems then its surrounding cities. The downtown mall is taking a little more time to remodel, but with a change in ownership, its expected to slow things down. The gangs are not a problem, yes, certain areas of the city are worse then others, but it is NOT anything like gang problems in other surrounding cities (lompoc for example). The people are friendly, the shopping is good, an the BBQ is some of the best in the world. Now it only comes down to a mater of opinion as to if its a good place to raise a family, and I say it is.
I don't agree with all the negativity about Santa Maria either. I still wouldn't raise my kids down there. No way. Not if I had the choice to be up here.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,704 times
I've raised my family in Santa Maria, we've lived the All American life in a town which has been claimed an All-American City!! Santa Maira is near some great beaches, mulitple nice lakes to choose from, great weather, no traffic or smog. When there is a family that needs help, this town pulls together as a community to help out. Usually with a fundraiser of our famous Santa Maria Style BBQ's.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,701,855 times
I have been to the city one time, back when the Illegal Aliens were walking out of schools fighting for amnesty. I remember being in the car watching the mass of illegal aliens walk down the street (and all the non-illegal immigrants crowding around in what seemed like horror in response to the downfall of their town). You could tell that the peaceful, quiet streets are quickly vanishing and the illegal aliens are taking over Santa Maria. It is definitely a "has been" place.

I would NEVER live there after seeing what I did that visit.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:46 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Definitely Hawthorne for me.

Santa Maria is too remote for my tastes.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 PM

12 posts, read 39,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
the nice parts of orcutt are expensive. the rest of orcutt is like santa maria. i have been to all of the high schools in the area, been to the downtown, the mall, the airport, the baseball park, and other parts of santa maria. and i have talked to my friend that has been to the bad parts of santa maria. it is a horrible ghetto place to live. it's for black and hispanics that like the ghettos. ghetto mall, ghetto downtown, and ghetto big-box shopping centers galores. it is not the santa maria it used to be.
LOL.

Dude, you have not been here. Santa Maria is primarily Hispanic, very few African Americans. Pioneer is the good Hispanic HS, Santa Maria HS the bad one. St. Joe's and Righetti in Orcutt are both good schools, primarily white but quite a few Hispanics. Righetti does get the Mexicans from Guadalupe since they can't get along with the Mexicans at Santa Maria High.

Apparently you have never been to a real ghetto.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:29 AM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Definitely Hawthorne for me.

Santa Maria is too remote for my tastes.
LOL..I responded twice without even knowing it.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:00 PM

12 posts, read 39,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
I have been to the city one time, back when the Illegal Aliens were walking out of schools fighting for amnesty. I remember being in the car watching the mass of illegal aliens walk down the street (and all the non-illegal immigrants crowding around in what seemed like horror in response to the downfall of their town). You could tell that the peaceful, quiet streets are quickly vanishing and the illegal aliens are taking over Santa Maria. It is definitely a "has been" place.

I would NEVER live there after seeing what I did that visit.
Glad you checked their ID's to see if they were legal or illegal immigrants. Man, I would have been too scared! You got some mucho grande cajones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California