Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Agree of Diagree
Agree 0 0%
Disagree 7 100.00%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 04:12 PM

804 posts, read 2,892,277 times

Advertisements

True Sheri, except if I knew that person was going to die if I didnt remove them and I also knew for a fact moving them would cause paralysis I would move them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 04:16 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
True Sheri, except if I knew that person was going to die if I didnt remove them and I also knew for a fact moving them would cause paralysis I would move them.
Agreed. If it's life or death you move them.

But if it's not, you don't.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:47 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times
Biggest question here is, did the fact that this friend moved her actually cause the paralisis or is it possible she could have been paralized anyways? Depending on the type of injury she sustained she could have easily been paralized being moved by a trained professional or could have been paralized before she was moved.

I'm sure having an un-trained person remove her from the car didn't help matters, but can the woman honestly prove that her friend caused her paralisis? What if the friend didn't remove her from the car and the car did explode, would the family of this paralized woman sue the friend for not trying to get her out of the car in time?

I honestly think, that these types of lawsuits should never be heard. It wasn't like the friend was intentianlly trying to cause her permanent harm. The friend really felt like she was saving her life.

I seriously hope this case loses.

Old 12-20-2008, 04:56 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,080 times
I was an EMT for 10 years, one wrong move can cause more damage depending on the previous injuries.
If the vehicle is on fire or sinking into water I can see rushing to get them out, otherwise wait for rescue. JMO

Last edited by Summerz; 12-20-2008 at 05:15 PM..

Old 12-20-2008, 04:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
This kind of crap right here is why I would walk right by an emergency situation. It's come to the point where it's just not worth it. And I've spent my whole life trying to help people. Forget it. Just call 911 and stay away.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:17 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This kind of crap right here is why I would walk right by an emergency situation. It's come to the point where it's just not worth it. And I've spent my whole life trying to help people. Forget it. Just call 911 and stay away.
It's a very fine line sometimes, I agree.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:18 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
It's obviously a sad situation all the around. This woman is paralyzed for life. She probably learned about proper stabilization after the fact and now blames her friend. The friend obviously didn't have any malice, she just didn't know what she was doing.

It's a terrible tragedy. What we really need to do is educate the public about these situations so it doesn't happen again.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:23 AM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Exactly what I was thinking. Any good jury/judge would require overwhelming evidence the move is what caused the paralysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Biggest question here is, did the fact that this friend moved her actually cause the paralisis or is it possible she could have been paralized anyways? Depending on the type of injury she sustained she could have easily been paralized being moved by a trained professional or could have been paralized before she was moved.

I'm sure having an un-trained person remove her from the car didn't help matters, but can the woman honestly prove that her friend caused her paralisis? What if the friend didn't remove her from the car and the car did explode, would the family of this paralized woman sue the friend for not trying to get her out of the car in time?

I honestly think, that these types of lawsuits should never be heard. It wasn't like the friend was intentianlly trying to cause her permanent harm. The friend really felt like she was saving her life.

I seriously hope this case loses.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:40 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,843,473 times
Everyone knows that you do not move an injured person unless it is absolutely necessary. The car needs to be ablaze.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:28 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
This thread is very misleading and very irresponsible. This is not just a California thing ... it also applies to Good Samaritan laws in other states.

EVEN if you're a medical professional ... Good Samaritan laws require that you give COMPETENT care. You are NOT exempt from liability if you cause permanent paralysis or other injury.

Moving somebody in a trauma situation with a possible spinal cord injury and paralysis without stabilization is irresponsible ... unless there was an immediate threat to their life like a car fire. (Other witnesses testified there was no such threat.)

This is why we have paramedics and other medical professionals to handle these situations.

Unfortunately the friend probably didn't know what they were doing and had good intentions but ... they would be liable for the same thing in other states, not just here.
I agree. Hopefully this case won't deter anyone from helping those in need but maybe it will cause people to exercise extreme caution in helping the injured. I've always heard that one should not move a person who could have spinal injuries (car accident, hello, possible spinal injury) w/ exceptions. I get why the samaritan did it though - there was no intent to injure she probably didn't know any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California