Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2008, 02:13 PM

21 posts, read 90,590 times

Advertisements

This past May I graduated from USC and am currently spending a year working on a ranch in CO (wasn't quite ready for a real job and wanted to play with horses).

As much as I love it here, the job market isn't what I need it to be and besides, all my family is in Socal. I won't be returning until September '09, but the more I research it, the more I want to end up in SLO.

I love the outdoors, I love small towns (but need access to some sort of downtown), and I love horses. SLO seems perfect.

But is it affordable?

I graduates summa *** laude from USC (Annenberg-Advertising), interview well, and have a great resume. But those things mean nothing if there are no jobs.

In a perfect world, I'd rent a little two room cottage for less than $1850, grow a vegetable garden, have two on property horses, have some chickens, and work in advertising.

How feasible is that in SLO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 03:19 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
The job market is tough here. But give it a shot. Are you only interested in living in the city of SLO or in SLO Co. somewhere?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 PM

21 posts, read 90,590 times
Anywhere in that general area.

I've looked at some ads for craigslist and rent seems pretty affordable.
But maybe I don't suffer from sticker shock anymore after having lived in Los Angeles.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:05 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
Ok, you have a ton options throughout the county. Is summer heat something that bothers you? If it doesn't Paso Robles is good place to look. Jardine and Geneseo areas of east Paso. Paso Robles has a nice downtown. If you want to avoid he heat, there's Arroyo Grande, Los Osos, Nipomo. Quite a few option to explore. I live in Los Osos, it's 10 min. from SLO. There's a lot of horse property in Los Osos. We're right next to Montana De Oro SP, which has one or two horse camps near the beach. An absolute gorgeous area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California