Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:54 AM

635 posts, read 1,681,418 times

Advertisements

Cab,

Its been a little over a month, did you move yet? How do you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 AM

2,735 posts, read 6,711,796 times
We left Ca (San Diego) in 2001. I wanted to move FAR, something totally different. I wanted the midwest or south. We ended up in SW Missouri, LOVED it. Lived there for a few years, my husband got a job relo to Georgia, lived there for a few years, very happy and now a job relo moved us to SW Virginia and are totally happy here too. It's so fun so explore new areas and see all the history we had only read about in the history books! Good luck on your move!

Editing to add that I didn't want to move anywhere that had severe winters. I wanted 4 seasons, but only with a tiny bit of snow!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:39 PM

28 posts, read 47,146 times
Default Joke-la-homa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameoldsonganddance View Post
We left Cali and moved to Oklahoma. We live in a town with mountains, a beautiful lake and lots of fishing. We now have ten acres and low taxes. Less than $180.00 a year. And if you are a veteran you can apply for no sales taxes. Tax exempt. This could apply to disabled vets only. I need to double check that one. LOTS of Californians moving to Oklahoma. Its like the dust bowl, in "reverse"! I have met so many Californians, I have lost track. Even several couples from Las Vegas. Oklahoma is different. But, I can't say I miss smog, high property taxes, the ghetto bird flying over the city and seeing gang "scribble" on every place you look. I have not a had big mosquito problem either. BTW, I can drive to Cali in no time if I want to visit family. I-40 goes straight to Barstow. Its an easy run. I KNOW Oklahoma is NOT for everyone. Just check out our Oklahoma forums. Its not perfect. But, it may be worth checking out.

I don't know where you used to live in California...but...what...Oklahoma??? Is it not cold/windy or hot/humid where you live? Giant insects from the cretaceous period roaming around in the summer?

I have to stop and think why the cost of living is so much lower here than in San Diego(where I'm from). And then I go outside to run...

*Open door, que the 50 MPH freezing wind gusts*

oh yea, that's why... the weather is HORRIBLE here. But I'm glad somebody likes it

I just love to be outdoors and doing something physical all the time.

You really can't compare OK to SD, two totally different worlds really.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:00 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,046,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
Cab,

Its been a little over a month, did you move yet? How do you like it?
LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Best move I ever made, in fact. Well, that's not true, all the moves I've made were perfect for me at each time of my life. I've completely loved everywhere I've lived, and now is no different.

Check out my post:
My impressions after 20 days in Austin...

PM me if you want any info on the Austin area and I'll help if I can.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 PM

961 posts, read 2,557,037 times
So glad to hear that you are happy with your move cabolissa. Austin is a very nice town.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 PM

14 posts, read 101,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameoldsonganddance View Post
We left Cali and moved to Oklahoma. We live in a town with mountains, a beautiful lake and lots of fishing. We now have ten acres and low taxes. Less than $180.00 a year. And if you are a veteran you can apply for no sales taxes. Tax exempt. This could apply to disabled vets only. I need to double check that one. LOTS of Californians moving to Oklahoma. Its like the dust bowl, in "reverse"! I have met so many Californians, I have lost track. Even several couples from Las Vegas. Oklahoma is different. But, I can't say I miss smog, high property taxes, the ghetto bird flying over the city and seeing gang "scribble" on every place you look. I have not a had big mosquito problem either. BTW, I can drive to Cali in no time if I want to visit family. I-40 goes straight to Barstow. Its an easy run. I KNOW Oklahoma is NOT for everyone. Just check out our Oklahoma forums. Its not perfect. But, it may be worth checking out.

You are correct about the tax exempt for the veterans and you have to be 100% disabled, check this info for all the benefits for the veterans from every states State Veteran's Benefits Directory - Military Benefits - Military.com you might get more benefits from your state Oklahoma.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,166,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC760 View Post
I don't know where you used to live in California...but...what...Oklahoma??? Is it not cold/windy or hot/humid where you live? Giant insects from the cretaceous period roaming around in the summer?

I have to stop and think why the cost of living is so much lower here than in San Diego(where I'm from). And then I go outside to run...

*Open door, que the 50 MPH freezing wind gusts*

oh yea, that's why... the weather is HORRIBLE here. But I'm glad somebody likes it

I just love to be outdoors and doing something physical all the time.

You really can't compare OK to SD, two totally different worlds really.
I lived in Riverside, right smack dab in the middle of the Santa ana wind tunnel. Everyone here said its really windy. The normal daily wind doesn't impress me. In fact if there wasn't wind it would be kind of irksome.

The snow we had in January was my FIRST snow. I have many pictures of it. Snow that melts in a week is okay, even cool. Snow that sits in piles all winter, nawwww

The ants crawling in the kitchen window don't seem to go past the sink and unlike the little monsters in Riverside they don't bite. Lots and lots of birds.

Four seasons, yeah. Wasn't here in the summer but Riverside runs over a hundred from June to September and isn't dry, so I'll cope. Fall was awesome. Winter was cold, but not that much colder than it gets in the inland valleys with a winter santa ana. The ice storm and the 19 degrees for three days was cold, but then I have a good heater. Spring has been sporatic, but thats the really fun thing about the weather here. When they say don't like the weather, wait an hour its quite true. Yesterday morning our cold front passed. It was 22, and by afternoon it was 71.

My cat considers crawling insects cat toys so didn't see many for long and the sketters were no worse than in Riverside.

And the thunderstorms are amazing. But the best? Incredable people who smile because they really are glad to meet you.

San Diego is a lot better than the IE but I'd take here over there too. What is it they are calling it? Internal migration? California gets much more tax and fee and gang happy they'll be calling it a refugee trail.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 AM

28 posts, read 47,146 times
Default People

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I And the thunderstorms are amazing. But the best? Incredable people who smile because they really are glad to meet you.
That's what really matters, friends and family. I have a lot of friends and family in San Diego-that's where all the people I care about are and that's where I'm headed when my enlistment is up. As far as politics, I was living with my parents until I was 19 and joined the military when I was 20. Didn't really live there long enough indepently to learn anything about taxes and other state policies.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:37 AM

635 posts, read 1,681,418 times
Read your post Cab re Austin - so glad to hear everything turned out just as you wanted!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,338 times
Cool Just Moved to Boise from West Los Angeles

I moved to Boise in Feb 2009 from West Los Angeles which is a pretty liberal area less than three miles from what is referred to as "(The People's Republic of) Santa Monica" ...a beautiful place along the shores of the Pacific Ocean... where many homeless live without being cold most of the year. Even though rents are really high there ($1500.00 a month for a one bedroom apartment), the city has lots of programs to assist the homeless. My experience here in Boise so far (as a recently single Caucasian woman in her early 60s) has been pretty lonely. As a free lance artist/designer, I had hoped to become involved in the art/craft scene and also join a group of like minded singles for walking/bicycling but have yet to find any such groups. I have checked community bulletin boards, local papers, online. I am an attractive, fit woman and have met some men on match.com but they all expect the relationship to move at a lot faster speed than I am comfortable with (on the second date). The hardest part for me in living here (besides the loneliness) is the barrenness of the terrain. I moved here to Boise in the middle of February and have only experienced about five days of nice weather....mostly in the last week now that it's the middle of April. I had heard that an advantage to living in Boise vs. Portland was that "even though it's cold in Boise in the winter, the sun shines most of the time". This has not been true since I moved here. I have lived in other areas...Portland for over 30 years, Southern California for 10 years. Every area has it's problems... and also it's beauty and advantages. I just don't know what to do next. When I lived in California, there were lots of opportunities to meet people using something called MeetUps...Here in Boise there are only a few offerings, few of which fall into my interests. The one group I considered joining for "Knitting", came with a warning from the group's organizer that you couldn't peddle products, religious propaganda or use profanity while attending. All this "foreboding warning stuff" caused me to withdraw my submission to join this group.
The reason I moved here was because I have close family members who have lived here for years otherwise it would be hard to be here....especially as someone who has been half of a close happy couple for most of my life... and is now recently single and on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California