Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2015, 09:21 AM

1,199 posts, read 1,647,718 times

Advertisements

11-1-2012 post 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.bezek View Post
This is a horrible place to live....'Been here for 30 years and lived a very rich life but I happen to know about REAL life.....Can't wait to leave here forever. Don't come here for any reason.......I have wasted so much of my life in this HELL HOLE!
For almost three years and 10 or more times you've posted about moving to Oregon.
Do you need Bus fare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 10:58 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,555 times
SB seems like a guilded city to me: beautiful on the outside, but hollow on the inside. It's really just a distant, overpriced suburb of LA. For a city it's size, the traffic is absolutely horrible. You might as well be in LA, and I don't like LA.

For much nicer mid-sized cities I head about a hundred miles north: San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Morro Bay, Cambria, etc. These are nice, casual, friendly communities with as much natural beauty as SB, but aren't nearly as overpriced and snobbish.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
SB seems like a guilded city to me: beautiful on the outside, but hollow on the inside. It's really just a distant, overpriced suburb of LA. For a city it's size, the traffic is absolutely horrible. You might as well be in LA, and I don't like LA.

For much nicer mid-sized cities I head about a hundred miles north: San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, Morro Bay, Cambria, etc. These are nice, casual, friendly communities with as much natural beauty as SB, but aren't nearly as overpriced and snobbish.
HaHa!
S.B. has traffic but nothing like L.A. It has lot's of stuff going on and if not enough only 1-1/2 hrs. down to LALA land.
As far as the SLO county cities beginning much nicer. Paso Robles isn't even on the coast. Slo town isn't either, it's a nice little collage town but it has traffic and high real estate prices too. Morro Bay, Cambria are coast towns but boring. Funny you didn't mention the 5 Cities but did Paso Robles. Speaks volumes to me about your knowledge of the Central Coast. Just saying.

Old 10-12-2015, 07:52 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
HaHa!
S.B. has traffic but nothing like L.A. It has lot's of stuff going on and if not enough only 1-1/2 hrs. down to LALA land.
As far as the SLO county cities beginning much nicer. Paso Robles isn't even on the coast. Slo town isn't either, it's a nice little collage town but it has traffic and high real estate prices too. Morro Bay, Cambria are coast towns but boring. Funny you didn't mention the 5 Cities but did Paso Robles. Speaks volumes to me about your knowledge of the Central Coast. Just saying.
I guess a few miles away from the coast doesn't count in your book? I like 'boring' smaller areas that are quieter with less traffic. LA is gross, and Santa Barbara is only a little better...

Old 10-13-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
I guess a few miles away from the coast doesn't count in your book? I like 'boring' smaller areas that are quieter with less traffic. LA is gross, and Santa Barbara is only a little better...
Correct, They don't count in my book. SLO is 12 miles inland and Paso is 35 with mountains separating it from the coast. S.B. is not a place for low energy folks who prefer places like Carpinteria

Old 01-18-2016, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,534 times
I'm a bit older than you are and am debating between moving to Santa Barbara or San Clemente (I know SB better and agree with your comments.) With a one million dollar budget, I am amazed at how little home that actually affords you. I don't need much, but I want it upgraded and high quality. Very challenging to find.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:37 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Alright, I was just thinking about this thread. And to think that I missed the anniverasy. I am going to try and get back to the I Hate Santa Barbara thread each year. Prices have been going up for a while now. When our 54 year old home can sell for in the neighborhood of $440,000 and $460,000 down in Oxnard then I know that the homes in Santa Barbara are even further up in price.

We have not been up to Santa Barbara since September, and we used to go once or twice a month. Saddly we even gave up our Zoo membership this last year. The kids are getting older and it looks as if the youngest is outgrowing that. Kind of sad for us parents as we had a few birthday parties at the Zoo and spent a lot of time as a family there. Times change but we will always have the memories. Last time we were up there we rented one of those 4 wheeled peddle cars that sit 6 people. Found out that the original Rusty's Pizza has moved to make way for a freeway improvement or some roadway improvement. That place was and I guess still is the bomb. Used to be in a historic building across from the beach, near Stearns Wharf.

Anyway I am just so excited that this thread has been resurected.

Last edited by SOON2BNSURPRISE; 01-19-2016 at 12:50 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 01:01 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,097,483 times
Edit: Didn't realize how old this thread is.

But I still agree that Santa Barbara = overrated. Maybe I don't have enough coin to access the amazingness that is spoken of but it just appears as another small-ish coastal city. Not a bad place. Very clean. Just... overrated.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:27 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Found out that the original Rusty's Pizza has moved to make way for a freeway improvement or some roadway improvement. That place was and I guess still is the bomb. Used to be in a historic building across from the beach, near Stearns Wharf.

Anyway I am just so excited that this thread has been resurected.
For as long as my memory goes back, Rusty's has always been on West Carrillo St, a couple of blocks from State. There's another on Milpas St.
But, then again, I don't think I've ever once eaten there.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:32 PM

8,335 posts, read 6,419,063 times
I took the Coast Starlight from Van Nuys to Portland 6 times.
Santa Barbara is the end of southern Calif. and the beginning of central Calif. you can see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California