Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 11:31 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,447,040 times

Advertisements

A 4.5 is not a big quake, it is not even a moderate one. I went through the 7.0 Loma Prieta of 89 and a 6.9 and 7.2 here in Humboldt county in 92 and another 7.2 in 2004 that was off the coast here. I barely notice those below 4 and 5 unless they are in the immediate vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 11:36 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,398,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
He said a powerful quake!
Hopefully, this is it!
To me 4.5 is a big one since I have never experienced one in my life! WABC news said it was a 5.0!
My sister does not live far from there. I just hope this is what he said, "powerful."
It was. downgraded to a 4.5; check the LA Times or ABC7 Los Angeles.
If you lived in California you would not be so impressed by this, but I understand the fascination being from non-earthquake prone New York. If you were out for a visit and staying in a hotel you would probably not even notice though.

Earthquakes are happening everyday. This one just happend to be slightly above normal so that some of us could feel it. Some houses right above the quake might have had a book fall off the shelf, but it isn't like whole houses fell down. I would say a "powerful" earthquake is one that sends you screaming through the house looking for cover, you just know that it is "big."

Old 01-09-2009, 12:17 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,909,950 times
I was in my laundry room folding clothes. I didn't even feel it but my husband said we had a quake. No big deal, I suppose.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,247,691 times
A 4.5 powerful..pshhh...we've been through Sylmar, Whittier, Big Bear and Northridge...our son is in Rancho Cucamonga, he barely felt it...calm down fella...

Old 01-09-2009, 01:09 AM
tew

209 posts, read 630,828 times
What?

I was just got back from CA and didnt feel a thing. It wasnt that big. Growing up in So Cal, I had my share of earthquakes.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:14 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,563,156 times
Tonight's earthquake wasn't anything to get nervous about but I know from experience that a magnitude 4 can be frightening if you live near the epicenter. Several years ago a local fault line that runs from Pasadena into Los Feliz cut lose with a 4.1 at 2AM. I live very close to the quake's epicenter & felt like the house lifted up & dropped like a rock. It was short but viscous temblor & the only earthquake where some of my house windows shattered\ books fell & a world globe shot across the room like a basketball. Our cats wouldn't come back into the house for days

But hardly anybody in LA paid much attention & went back to sleep except in areas sitting right above the fault line. Ever look at a map of all the earthquake faults under Los Angeles? [and seimologists discover more faultlines each year]. It's very unsettling that LA is in one of the most active corridors for earthquakes [also San Bernardino\ Palm Springs].

We lived thru Northridge so I think Angelenos can handle another strong earthquake though I pray we never do again.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 AM

27,223 posts, read 27,290,570 times
Couldnt have been much, the building at work rattled a bit, some of us just thought maybe a truck hit it, backing into the receiving dock (I work for Lowes). Heck I have lights, fans, hanging lamps and chandeliers in my section and none of them even budged. Didnt even know it was a quake until someone mentioned it just as we were closing. anyone not from Calif probably would have panicked, but a 4-pointer is basically nothing really.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:59 PM

635 posts, read 1,680,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
A 4.5 is not a big quake, it is not even a moderate one. I went through the 7.0 Loma Prieta of 89 and a 6.9 and 7.2 here in Humboldt county in 92 and another 7.2 in 2004 that was off the coast here. I barely notice those below 4 and 5 unless they are in the immediate vicinity.
Yes, those two made my eyelids disappear! The one in '92, I was driving on the freeway, cars started to slide sideways into the left lane involuntarily just by the sheer shift and shimmie; everyone just put on their left turn signal You can feel the same vibrations of a 4 pointer if you live in a 2-sty house and the kids and dog run downstairs and just jump off that last stair with a whomp!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:34 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,568,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justhere View Post
You can feel the same vibrations of a 4 pointer if you live in a 2-sty house and the kids and dog run downstairs and just jump off that last stair with a whomp!
Hahaha! Yeah....that's probably why I almost missed it- my whackadoodle crew is always careening around the house. If they hadn't said anything themselves, I wouldn't have even noticed .

Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 PM

899 posts, read 2,930,008 times
Can I stop laughing please, A NY thunderstorm is far scarrier than and earth quake..I remember all the bigs ones and one here in oregon a couple of years ago that shook and left..We lived in Solano county when Loma Preialta hit..sorta got everyone attention..
I'm a native californian living in oregon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California