Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 12:51 AM

212 posts, read 637,914 times

Advertisements

I think it is entertaining that Californian's don't take much notice of an earthquake, yet when the weather gets under 65 degrees people will bring out the parkas and gloves to keep warm. Just an observation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 07:58 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
A NY thunderstorm is far scarrier than and earth quake..

I remember all the big ones
Is "remember all the big ones" the same as "experienced first hand the big ones"? If so, you and I have a much different reactions to earthquakes.

I experienced Sylmar 1971 (lived in Canoga Park age 9) and Northridge 1994 (lived in Moorpark). I also lived on the Palmer Divide in Colorado, one of the most thunderstorm and lightning strike prone places in the US. Thunderstorms (which someone always has warning of) are nothing compared to the core fright an earthquake produces when you awaken from a deep sleep as your house is rolling and jolting in complete noisy darkness. All things that we assume as under control and stable (like the ground) are not giving us secure feedback.

I have vivid memories of these things. It is scary as hell.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:34 AM

290 posts, read 634,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Ain't that the truth. Even when I do feel a 4.5, I barely acknowledge its existence. My dog didn't even stir for this one.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/animated%20gifs/animated%20pictures/quake.gif (broken link)

Old 01-11-2009, 08:44 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,752,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamh View Post
A NY thunderstorm is far scarrier than and earth quake..
I've never had a thunderstorm toss me around like a rag doll, then throw me off a platform to the asphalt 12 feet below, where a toolbox was waiting to painfully break my fall. (Northridge, 1994)

Old 01-11-2009, 08:45 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I've never had a thunderstorm toss me around like a rag doll, then throw me off a platform to the asphalt 12 feet below, where a toolbox was waiting to painfully break my fall. (Northridge, 1994)
You were on a platform at 431AM?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:19 AM

People do work graveyard shift. Hence the tool box.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:55 PM

303 posts, read 843,352 times
Earthquakes in SoCal are still far less frequent than thunderstorms, especially here in Texas. Even after living here for 13 years, storms still scare the living daylights out of me, especially the deafening thunder. And I hate driving in the rain. I too experienced the 94 Northridge shaker. I was jolted awake, but fell right back asleep afterwards. Give me shakers over thunderstorms any day!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 10:32 PM

635 posts, read 1,680,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalGal953 View Post
Earthquakes in SoCal are still far less frequent than thunderstorms, especially here in Texas. Even after living here for 13 years, storms still scare the living daylights out of me, especially the deafening thunder. And I hate driving in the rain. I too experienced the 94 Northridge shaker. I was jolted awake, but fell right back asleep afterwards. Give me shakers over thunderstorms any day!!!
You got that right!! Here in TN there are thunderstorms regularly. Last one was a couple of months ago ... I now have an 'idea' of what a monsoon may look like. Raining sidesways, rain hitting the ground so hard that in Walmart it sounded like a plane taking off from the parking lot. The cashier even said so. The lightning hit trees and oddly enough, the "boom" of a thunderstorm sounds similar to the boom sometimes heard before an earthquake -- same vibration and everything. Once we made it home, the power lines had been hit and no power. Black out only lasted an hour and power was back on. But the visuals of the lightning is amazing.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:35 AM

15,639 posts, read 40,909,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathegg88 View Post
I think it is entertaining that Californian's don't take much notice of an earthquake, yet when the weather gets under 65 degrees people will bring out the parkas and gloves to keep warm. Just an observation.
Well, duh! We aren't used to cold weather. I'm breaking out my coat when it gets below 80 because I'm used to temps in the 100's.

My husband and I had an outdoor wedding here in the Coachella Valley where we live, in June. You would have thought the non-CV people were going to die or something - and it was a 6pm wedding and only 90 degrees out! I've never seen so many sissy folks assembled in one place in my life! Just an observation.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:06 AM

Were they sissies, or were they from the coast where people aren't used to CV style hot weather?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California