Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2009, 08:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post

Are you guys a little homesick by any chance?
Yes, this is true, a little for me, I'll admit it.

But even more true is the LA, CA, and OC CD forums are a lot more fun than our local forums. We never have all these exciting discussions on the Huntsville forum. I learn a lot on the CA forums. Plus, since I grew up in LA I can provide a lot of practical advice and also I can "live virtually" in LA.

It's fun.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:57 PM

566 posts, read 1,939,636 times
Is this your private sandbox? Unless we are ready to go rah-rah like you do on every post we should stay off this board? You ask over and over why we post negative here. I say it's not negative, but rather just the truth. How you interpret it is your business. I will ask why you never post an objective truth. It's always this one-sided, rose colored glasses stuff. Is that all people thinking of CA should hear?

Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
To each their own seriously--in my opinion I have seen California go from being my favorite place I could have never imagined leaving,to being a place I'm glad to escape and return to Colorado from...I still enjoy some things about the state, but those things are becoming quickly fewer and fewer...Native Californian's should be p____d
by what has happened to their home...For those of you still defending the quality of life in California even after all the current BS---I guess nothing will convince you--a higher standard of living surrounds your outskirts....I remember when...but California's lost it's Mojo Baby...

Old 01-16-2009, 04:08 AM

It's also kind of funny to suggest that all Californian's moving to Colorado is based on lower housing prices. Some people are relocating based on standard of living--case in point --the Colorado high country-- Much of the Colorado high country is more expensive than the majority of California regions..The Aspen area , Pitkin County averages 800k plus average housing prices... Aspen proper itself boasts top tier public schools..and over 7 million dollar housing and $1600 psf. averages, that makes Malibu look like a bargain...Summit, and Eagle County come in higher than LA, OC ect.. in average price--many of these areas are retaining their values too.. unlike California...
I have heard the arguements--these are resorts--they are now becoming primary residences for the wealthy--people sick of the decaying infrastucture of SO. CAL...The trend for people with resources is not to stagnate in polluted,gang infested
places with uncertain tax bases..Pristine enviornments,highly educated,lower density regions are where many of the California elite are moving...Denver has many urban areas and suburbs that would not be considerd cheap by any one moving here--and they are filling up --not because of cost, but because enough is enough of the evaporating California dream...I used to live in California yards from the surf--not even the same place any more...I still love some aspects of California, but lately those things are becoming fewer and fewer... If I was a California native I would be p____d by what has happened to that state.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
It's also kind of funny to suggest that all Californian's moving to Colorado is based on lower housing prices. Some people are relocating based on standard of living--case in point --the Colorado high country-- Much of the Colorado high country is more expensive than the majority of California regions..The Aspen area , Pitkin County averages 800k plus average housing prices... Aspen proper itself boasts top tier public schools..and over 7 million dollar housing and $1600 psf. averages, that makes Malibu look like a bargain...Summit, and Eagle County come in higher than LA, OC ect.. in average price--many of these areas are retaining their values too.. unlike California...
I have heard the arguements--these are resorts--they are now becoming primary residences for the wealthy--people sick of the decaying infrastucture of SO. CAL...The trend for people with resources is not to stagnate in polluted,gang infested
places with uncertain tax bases..Pristine enviornments,highly educated,lower density regions are where many of the California elite are moving...Denver has many urban areas and suburbs that would not be considerd cheap by any one moving here--and they are filling up --not because of cost, but because enough is enough of the evaporating California dream...I used to live in California yards from the surf--not even the same place any more...I still love some aspects of California, but lately those things are becoming fewer and fewer... If I was a California native I would be p____d by what has happened to that state.
This is true but the sheer numbers of people doing that (moving to posh resort communities) are probably pretty small. However, people moving to CO for reasons other than housing prices (less traffic, quality schools in middle class neighborhoods, similar industries for employment, for example) is probably significant.

What would happen if Denver metro and LA metro housing prices became the same in $/sqft or even within 20% of each other?

Case Shiller Housing Price Index

Old 01-16-2009, 04:33 AM

While the people moving to the high country in posh resorts is fewer-look at the high country as a whole outside the resorts--there is no such thing as cheap---even cheaper than Cali--the number one imports to the region are Californians by far...I like many former Californian's miss the climate---but to think it's a place of envy is just ridiculous-I still own prime beach front property in So. Cal..and pay taxes -can't sell for what I paid--- neighbors are moving--the area is now lower rent socially because of the new atmoshere and newer adjusted populace-- even compared to many low end Denver suburbs....Old California had some chic...now that's over..

Last edited by Scott5280; 01-16-2009 at 05:30 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 04:40 AM

You have posed a good question Charles -- would people move back to Cali... if prices came closer together?---I believe the middle class would--I believe the people with money who have moved are generally gone for good--( exception vacation homes)unless enormous changes in taxes and quality of life issues are seriously addressed...There are just too many places equally as beautiful without all the negatives...If California however got it's act together and brought back high paying jobs,education,fought off the blight. became a leader once again in high tech..said no to illegals--the state would be the Golden State once more...people would flock back to Cali...Just seems like a stretch at the moment..

Last edited by Scott5280; 01-16-2009 at 05:31 AM..

Old 01-16-2009, 05:59 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Which begs the question ... why are you guys looking back? Seems like we've got more California ex-pats posting here than California residents.

I used to live in Texas but I don't care enough to post in your forums every day ... that's for sure.

Are you guys a little homesick by any chance? Because it seems like you're trying to convince yourselves that you made the right move ... more than anyone else.

TX forums are not as exciting, no huge budget crisis, housing still pretty stable, gas prices low. No need to convince me of the right move. If I was in CA I would not have time to post on CD. I would be working 12 hour days, six days a week. That is if I still had a job.

The answer is obvious though. When you have spent most of your life in an area it is easier to talk about. I have no clue about the TX housing market and it is pretty mundane, a little up and little down. The same goes for the job market. In addition I still have friends and family in CA so I am still interested in what happens in CA.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,930,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
You have posed a good question Charles -- would people move back to Cali... if prices came closer together?---I believe the middle class would--I believe the people with money who have moved are generally gone for good--( exception vacation homes)unless enormous changes in taxes and quality of life issues are seriously addressed...There are just too many places equally as beautiful without all the negatives...If California however got it's act together and brought back high paying jobs,education,fought off the blight. became a leader once again in high tech..said no to illegals--the state would be the Golden State once more...people would flock back to Cali...Just seems like a stretch at the moment..
I would not move back to Orange County. I would not move back as long as my daughter still lives here. I would not move back unless the education, budget, housing, illegal alien problem, government mess, jobs, fire situation, were all fixed. I guess the answer is probably no.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I would not move back to Orange County.
If I did move back it would be to south Orange County: If housing continues to plummet and I get a relo package from the man for a position not north of Long Beach and I am convinced the employment situation is stable. We're talking several years from now. With the exception of weather, Huntsville is much better for me now.

O.C. called nation’s 9th riskiest home market

My wife and I occasionally look at Redfin and are shocked at what we're seeing with sales prices in OC today and two years ago. Homes in the finer OC neighborhoods: Ladera Ranch, Mission Viejo, Laguna Niguel, San Clemente, etc that were going for $1.1M are now being offered for high $700K-$800s. That is really depressing that people are in that situation.

We're watching a historical event.

Last edited by Charles; 01-16-2009 at 06:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California