Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:04 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,528,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
FLORIDA is the future... Because in due time California will eventually be way to crowded, even more costly and more problem across the Board. Just turn on your TV, and get a load of all those silly reality shows, all based in LA. All that spending... and when the bottom falls out, Cali natives bit*h and moan for a bail out! It's a fact than more Californians move to Florida than any other state. Ok, here ya go... Now all you guys are gonna start your jealousy tirads! Here's my crib (inland)... Purchased in 99 for $140k and appraised recenly over $300k. A huge lot and backyard tropical with my own private pond. Now where in SF valley you got this? Studio City? Yea right!!!
I have a brother living in Florida. He doesn't seem to be nearly as ecstatic as you about living there. And I don't remember it being the "dream" place to live when I went to visit. Of course, Miami is pretty appealing, though that place is just as pricey as most places in California that I'm attracted to.

It's all relative, and everyone is drawn to different areas for different reasons. Glad you love Florida. Many Californians love California. I know I always will, even when I hate it. I seriously doubt your preaching here in this forum is going to do anything to change anyones' mind. If anything, you're probably just annoying people - it doesn't bother me at all, but I'm sure some people are getting tired of you being on the soap box. Maybe that's your intent. You've made your point several times in several threads in this forum, why not allow people to digest it and move on?

Old 01-20-2009, 02:26 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
I'm glad it's working out for Charles but I could NEVER go back to the south either.
Sheri, What was it you did not like about the south? I'm in CA now, thinking about moving to either AR or TN. Not sure if I can take the humidity though. Trying to find some where with jobs.

Old 01-20-2009, 02:28 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,787,719 times
If I had to choose between moving back to California or making a move to Florida--I would take Cali. reguardless of the price difference...I don't hate Florida--it's just no California....California--mountains,beaches,canyons, deserts...more variety and I think better climate...

Old 01-20-2009, 05:08 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,278,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufford View Post
Sheri, What was it you did not like about the south? I'm in CA now, thinking about moving to either AR or TN. Not sure if I can take the humidity though. Trying to find some where with jobs.
Even though I grew up with it I just didn't fit into the culture. Maybe they don't have this stuff anymore but ... when I lived there they still had debutante balls, some of the colleges had home economics as a degree, stuff like that. People (including members of my own family) were openly racist, it's definitely a class society.

I'm sure other people will argue with me but, it was pretty much the backwards stuff you see in movies. The movie "Heart of Dixie" is a good example of what I grew up with and, at least in my case, very accurate. And yes ... it's extremely humid. My husband could not stand it even with just short visits. He felt like he was gonna die as soon as he got off the plane.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:32 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,904,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
Here ya go Californians....

Oh yea, I forgot.. the bugs... ah, yea we had a few bugs today.

My coastal crib. From left: front yard, backyard, pool, my retired boys teeing off and V-Rods in the Bat Cave. And yea, Florida really sucks.
I have been to Florida a couple of times and don't get where people complain about the humidity. Here are some interesting facts regarding humidity, CA vs FL. I don't see much of a difference. Same with TX. These are yearly averages, AM/PM

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedSan Jose, CA 84%/62%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedLong Beach, CA 80%/54%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedSan Francisco, CA 84%/62%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedDaytona Beach, FL 88%/61%
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedVero Beach, FL 83%/57%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedMiami, FL83%/61%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedDallas - Fort Worth, TX 81%/58%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedWichita Falls, TX 81%/53%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedAmarillo, TX 73%/48%[/quote]

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 08:15 AM..

Old 01-20-2009, 10:46 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,314,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I have been to Florida a couple of times and don't get where people complain about the humidity. Here are some interesting facts regarding humidity, CA vs FL. I don't see much of a difference. Same with TX. These are yearly averages, AM/PM

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedSan Jose, CA 84%/62%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedLong Beach, CA 80%/54%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedSan Francisco, CA 84%/62%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedDaytona Beach, FL 88%/61%
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedVero Beach, FL 83%/57%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedMiami, FL 83%/61%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedDallas - Fort Worth, TX 81%/58%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedWichita Falls, TX 81%/53%

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedAmarillo, TX 73%/48%
Its also generally much hotter in the South, for a much longer stretch of the year, than in coastal SoCal. Hot air holds more moisture than cooler air, even at the same relative humidity so there's more water vapor floating around you down there.

80F with 50% humidity in Long Beach might feel like 82F.

102F in Austin with 65% humidity might feel like 110F.

I've never had my sun glasses fog up when stepping out of the car in California, but its happened in Texas in the summer. Its also no fun when its 9pm, 83 degrees, and the dew point is 78. I think I'm sweating just thinking about it.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 08:16 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I think I'm sweating just thinking about it.
The key is heat and humidity ... a deadly combination. Unless you're used to it ... some people do sweat easily, especially in that climate. I grew up in the south so I'm used to it but my husband, who grew up in OC ... literally can't stand it. He starts sweating as soon as he gets off the plane and is uncomfortable the whole time.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,160,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
The key is heat and humidity ... a deadly combination. Unless you're used to it ... some people do sweat easily, especially in that climate. I grew up in the south so I'm used to it but my husband, who grew up in OC ... literally can't stand it. He starts sweating as soon as he gets off the plane and is uncomfortable the whole time.
If you are thinking of socal, remember the coast is still pricy and you may end up inland in the valleys. I used to live in Riverside and it is typical of the inland valleys. In the summer, from about June to September, the temperatures run 100 plus. In the evening it can still be in the 90's and usually in the 80's. Last year it was very humid, in the 80 precentile, much of the summer. When I moved here my friends kept saying it was humid but didn't feel like that. In the winters it does get cold, inbetween its in the 70's. In the areas closer to the deserts in the spring it can be 35 at night and 80/90 during the day.

The smog problem is very bad. If you have breathing difficulties be very cautious. Come out and spend a few days in the summer when the smog is really bad and you can't see the mountains to see if you really want to live there. The Riverside and San Bernardino areas are very heavily hit by the wave of foreclosures as well. Consider how empty a neighborhood is and the condition as well. These neighborhoods may end up as solid rentals.

I'm not saying not to move there, just take you time deciding and definately come to see the place in the middle of the summer first.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
If you are thinking of socal, remember the coast is still pricy and you may end up inland in the valleys. I used to live in Riverside and it is typical of the inland valleys. In the summer, from about June to September, the temperatures run 100 plus. In the evening it can still be in the 90's and usually in the 80's. Last year it was very humid, in the 80 precentile, much of the summer. When I moved here my friends kept saying it was humid but didn't feel like that. In the winters it does get cold, inbetween its in the 70's. In the areas closer to the deserts in the spring it can be 35 at night and 80/90 during the day.
I lived in the IE for five years so I'm very familiar with the weather (and smog). But, I can tell you that the heat and humidity never came close to the south. Heat yes ... but not the humidity. Generally, it was a dry heat but, maybe it's changed.

I live on the Central Coast now so ... it's not an issue anymore. I was just pointing out for those who are thinking of moving to the south ... the heat and humidity could be a big adjustment. Especially if they grew up in a moderate California climate like my husband did. He literally can't stand heat and humidity (and he wasn't terribly fond of desert weather either).

Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,189,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
Want my kids to be camping, fishing, and playing sports rather than being worried about make-up and what the other teenie boppers in SoCal are doing.
Trust me, teen-age girls are teen-age girls all over the land. They are concerned about make-up and what the other teeny-boppers in their own neck of the woods are doing....as well as what Miley Cyrus is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California