Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 04:49 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times

Advertisements

You wont find 2500 sq ft house in the hollywood hills for $1m. There are very few efficient homes in Los Angeles, most houses here are older, very few newer homes. the newer homes are out in the boonies, like Riverside, SanBernardino and Lancaster/Palmdale. And they are now very cheap.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:10 PM

Unfortunately these are not the type of people leaving california.

of course it's in california (http://www.thepoliticalcesspool.org/jamesedwards/2009/01/12/mexican-sells-14-year-old-daughter-calls-cops-when-buyer-doesnt-pay/ - broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 PM

850 posts, read 1,545,946 times
Planning on moving to South Carolina in a year or 2. Born and raised in California. Sad to see how bad the housing market is here. No reason to blame any one person, that is pointless. I just want to buy a house and pay cash for it with some land, rather then having my neighbor be 5 feet away. What can you do...you either love it or hate it. I love california, but wish it was more afordable. Oh well...

Sonia
Travel-4-Kids - Making Travel Safe for Families... (http://travel4kids.ning.com/ - broken link)

Old 01-13-2009, 05:31 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
You wont find 2500 sq ft house in the hollywood hills for $1m. There are very few efficient homes in Los Angeles, most houses here are older, very few newer homes. the newer homes are out in the boonies, like Riverside, SanBernardino and Lancaster/Palmdale. And they are now very cheap.
Do we need efficient homes here? I have seldom used a heater and we don't have an airconditioner.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:44 PM

I live in Northridge. The summer is almost always over 90, it gets hot. We had a heat wave here where it was over 100 during the day for about 3 weeks.
You are in ventura/oxnard, it is much cooler there.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:48 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
I live in Northridge. The summer is almost always over 90, it gets hot. We had a heat wave here where it was over 100 during the day for about 3 weeks.
You are in ventura/oxnard, it is much cooler there.
I sure do love that fact. Funniest thing. Back in the mid 80's I was working for a building contractor on a job in Simi Valley. Since i had never seen them before I had to ask what the square thing in the side yard of the houses we were working on was for. Someone asked me if I had ever heard of airconditioning.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:04 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
California is too important to the rest of the country for anything devastating to happen. It just will not happen. The Feds would step in.
Another stupid bailout?

Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
I am a 4th generation native California, and I never thought I'd see the day that I'd want to leave. We're heavily taxed, the state is broke, its too crowded, no one can afford a home, so many rules & regulations, mis spent funds, more and more of our $ going to prison health care. It's bad when the prisoners have it better than a lot of the people on the outside, and better health care. Have you ever left CA for a road trip and seen the beautiful rest stops and areas outside the state. They are plentiful and beautiful always open and clean. Then come back to CA. You're hardpressed to find an open rest stop, they are filthy and unattractive. I have great memories of the CA of my youth, but I'm ready to try something else. There are 50 other states. Maybe its just wanderlust, but I'm ready to look for something else... probably TX. Can't be too much warmer than central CA, I know.. its a dry heat.
Gosh! There are so darned many nice rest stops you could call home!!! Too bad all the rest stops in Cali are ugly and crowded! Yep - better go find your dream rest stop in Texas.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorback_06 View Post
You're right, but trust me the up keep on a 4500 McMansion is a killer a lot of people don't really really think about. And if they do, some regret it. HOA fees (because most are in subdivisions), heating/electric bills, lawn care, water, home cleaning, insurance, etc... Oh, and don't even mention kids and the extra cost with those. All of that adds up in the thousands (And I do mean thousands) a month. To me, that like wasted money (excluding the insurance). I would prefer a 2500 square foot million dollar green/engery efficent modern house with less lawn up keep in the Hollywood Hills than a Tract McMansion in Plano, Texas. But, that's what so great about this country. Different strokes for different folks.
I lived in Irvine, CA for 2%+ years. My housing costs here in TX are much cheaper that our home in TX. Our house in TX is much more energy efficient that our CA home. Our taxes in TX are about twice but our payment is less than 1/3. We have a little over a quarter acre here, we have .07 acres in Irvine.

You are right, to each his own and that is what is great about our country.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Would be positive for a deep recession to cause CA to lose a few million non-taxpayer, welfare recipients to lovely places like TX, CO, AZ, NV, FL, etc

Suspect many CA taxpayers are smart enough to realize that houses in places like Irvine are not materially more costly than houses in comparable places like Plano, TX...ironically, Dallas' Highland Park or Houston's RiverOaks is now more costly than SiliconValley's most elite suburb (Woodside).....and CA weather and topography are worth a few bucks to many...lots of mythical COL "savings" outside CA

For decades, smart middle-income kids raised in CA have figured out how to enter better colleges to eventually obtain better-paying jobs, so they can continue to live in CA in desirable suburbs...those who can't figure out such simple economics and career planning wander aimlessly in search of some mythical paradise available at low costs to the dim-witted, lazy masses
Sorry to tell you but towns like where we live in, Keller, TX and surrounding towns like Westlake, Southlake, are not for the dim-witted, lazy masses. They are for a wide range of people that want a resonable priced house and a lifestyle more manageble. Try looking up these cities here on CD and you might be surprised with what you find. They compare much like Irvine, Newport Beach, etc. when it comes to education, incomes, etc.. The one big exception is the housing costs. That is why you find so many ex-Californians coming to TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California