Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:14 PM

8 posts, read 20,810 times

Advertisements

Okay sorry I didn't specify. So yeah I'll just use Adriatica's post. Also just a nice area in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatica View Post
Need a big city? I'd like to. Anything that's populated.
A small town? Hell no, far and away from it.
Near the mountains? I like mountains.
Near the beach? Yes! I LOVE beaches!
Near a major airport? Not really.
Near lots of shopping? That'll be cool.
Need a job while you go to school? Yes.
Do these schools have your major? Yes.
Do you have a good chance of getting into your major? Yes.
Are you from out of state? Yes.
Can you afford these schools? Yes.
Are you aware that CSU schools are harder than ever to get into? There's no harm in trying right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
My top two choices would be SDSU or CSULB. Third choice would be San Jose State

San Diego State(SDSU) is one of the top party schools in the nation. It's also in San Diego, which is a great place by itself.

Cal State Long Beach(CSULB) is in a great area, plenty of things to do in the area(though a car will be necessary), and is close proximity to other entertainment centers in Orange County and LA. Biggest downside is the lack of oncampus housing(only like 1500 dorms), so you will most likely have to live in a nearby apt.

Cal Poly Pomona has the most prestige and best technical curriculum, but the location isn't so great unless you want to be closer to non-beach related outdoorsy activities in So Cal(like hiking, skiing, horseback riding, etc)

Dominguez Hills is in a ghetto part of the South Bay. Not much to do there, but situated close to Long Beach it provides similar area bonuses of being in LA and near Orange County.

Sacramento I'm not too sure about, but the surrounding area isn't all that great if you're looking for youthful stuff to do. Only been up to the area a few times and didn't seem appealing for a college atmosphere.

San Jose State is nice school in a decent city close to plenty of things to do. Close proximity to San Fran and such adds value.
Awesome post. Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
My top two choices would be SDSU or CSULB. Third choice would be San Jose State

San Diego State(SDSU) is one of the top party schools in the nation. It's also in San Diego, which is a great place by itself.

Cal State Long Beach(CSULB) is in a great area, plenty of things to do in the area(though a car will be necessary), and is close proximity to other entertainment centers in Orange County and LA. Biggest downside is the lack of oncampus housing(only like 1500 dorms), so you will most likely have to live in a nearby apt.

Cal Poly Pomona has the most prestige and best technical curriculum, but the location isn't so great unless you want to be closer to non-beach related outdoorsy activities in So Cal(like hiking, skiing, horseback riding, etc)

Dominguez Hills is in a ghetto part of the South Bay. Not much to do there, but situated close to Long Beach it provides similar area bonuses of being in LA and near Orange County.

Sacramento I'm not too sure about, but the surrounding area isn't all that great if you're looking for youthful stuff to do. Only been up to the area a few times and didn't seem appealing for a college atmosphere.

San Jose State is nice school in a decent city close to plenty of things to do. Close proximity to San Fran and such adds value.
Awesome post. Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Many of the CSU campuses have stopped accepting freshman or transfer student applications for Fall 2009. The California budget crisis has cut into their openings for students.

I believe that campuses still accepting transfer applications are giving priority to students with over 60 units completed elsewhere.

From your list it looks to me like the only campuses still accepting Fall applications are:
California State University: Dominguez Hills
California State University: Sacramento

More info at:
CSUMentor - Apply Online - Status Report
Aww crap. Thanks anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:17 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunraidan View Post
Aww crap. Thanks anyway.
You can always plan on transferring in January 2010, the spring semester 1 year from now.

I know, I know, you want to change now.

But if you can stick it out where you are for 1 year and get more courses out of the way you can always apply for the campus of your choice in California in the future.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 PM

301 posts, read 1,511,204 times
Even if a school offers your major, it doesn't mean they do a good job with it. Go with the school that has the best program, regardless of its location. Being in a good program will open doors for the next 40 years of your professional life. And that's more beneficial in the long run than spending four years at a school that has good weather and is near fun stuff.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:30 PM

8 posts, read 20,810 times
I see...thanks for the posts guys.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:15 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I went to Cal Poly Pomona for my undergrad & grad degrees. I guess the college is as good as any. I don't know squat about the others.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:21 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,721 times
If you like beaches maybe Cal State Poly-San Luis Obispo or Monterey Bay should be on your list too? Although it doesn't sound like they have the "big city" qualification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California