Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 01:10 PM

24 posts, read 96,739 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to migrate down to Norther California end of next month for a few month to escape the gloomy seattle weather.

Which is better as far as sunny days Chico or Redding?

What about crime rate? I read on Sperling that crime has gone up a lot.

I am 25, asian, and just can't live without the mountains that I'm use to in Western Washington. Which is closest to good hiking trails?

Cost of living and housing prices are particuarlly important too me, both are cheaper than Seattle, and I telecommute for work, so I can work wherever there is internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 04:32 PM

8,679 posts, read 17,187,966 times
Both Redding and Chico have a whole lot of sunny days. Redding gets a little colder in winter, with very occasional snow (once every couple of years) because it is farther into the foothills.

Both have some crime, but neither has serious crime problems.

Redding is closer to mountains, but Chico is a fairly short jaunt from the Sierras so either is a good choice.

Chico is probably a bit higher cost of living because it is a college town: lots of students tends to drive up rental housing costs.

Also because of the college, Chico is probably a bit more active in nightlife/music/recreation than Redding. Downtown Redding is starting to come back to life but it has a long way to go. Of course, if you don't care for the college crowd Chico might not be your thing. They have a long-standing reputation as a party school.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:43 PM

24 posts, read 96,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Both Redding and Chico have a whole lot of sunny days. Redding gets a little colder in winter, with very occasional snow (once every couple of years) because it is farther into the foothills.

Both have some crime, but neither has serious crime problems.

Redding is closer to mountains, but Chico is a fairly short jaunt from the Sierras so either is a good choice.

Chico is probably a bit higher cost of living because it is a college town: lots of students tends to drive up rental housing costs.

Also because of the college, Chico is probably a bit more active in nightlife/music/recreation than Redding. Downtown Redding is starting to come back to life but it has a long way to go. Of course, if you don't care for the college crowd Chico might not be your thing. They have a long-standing reputation as a party school.

I'm curious, how many days of sunshine there are during the winter and early spring months?

Since I would be down there March-June, will there be a lot of gloomy days? Cold I can stand, but gloomy days not so much.

How hard will it be to find a furnished 1 bedroom apartment or house for under $800/month? In either of those cities. How about a 3 month lease? I'm planning to spend part of my summer in Seattle then go overseas for late summmer and early fall.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:51 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,564,303 times
You can check out weather data for Chico & Redding here: National Weather Service - NWS Sacramento. Generally Redding is sunnier w/ less winter fog than Chico & probably a little warmer overall. In-fact, Redding can be one of the hottest areas in California during summer. I understand that crime is more of a problem in Redding compared to Chico. I would pick Chico over Redding for things to do but both towns have a lot of recreational opportunities [ie. boating\ swimming\ hiking\ skiing\ biking, etc].

Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM

8,679 posts, read 17,187,966 times
March varies, usually it's pretty rainy but things are starting to brighten up. April-June are generally sunny. $800 for a 1br apartment should be easy in either city, I have no clue about 3-month leases though.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,564,303 times
Keep in mind that the Sacramento Valley is much warmer than Western Washington. If you are interested in a sunny climate be forewarned that both Chico & especially Redding can be overwhelmingly hot during summer [100F+ days on end]. Air conditioning is vital to survive summers.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:32 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,403,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pood View Post
I'm planning to migrate down to Norther California end of next month for a few month to escape the gloomy seattle weather.

Which is better as far as sunny days Chico or Redding?

What about crime rate? I read on Sperling that crime has gone up a lot.

I am 25, asian, and just can't live without the mountains that I'm use to in Western Washington. Which is closest to good hiking trails?

Cost of living and housing prices are particuarlly important too me, both are cheaper than Seattle, and I telecommute for work, so I can work wherever there is internet.
I hear 'ya re: "gloomy seattle weather" and 2 years ago I moved from the Puget Sound area (Snohomish) to the foothills just outside Chico.

No serious complaints, especially re: the weather. Rarely a "gloomy" day here, even during the cooler & wetter winter months (which can also occasionally mean snow at the higher elevations, but not down in the valley in Chico). And the sun usually pops back out again after the rain is done. But it does get "toasty" here in the summer, although it's mostly the proverbial "dry" kind of heat, and really haven't found it difficult to adjust.

Note that the Redding area may have a bit more "cowboy" culture to it, whereas Chico has the University, and also the surrounding area is more agricultural rather than "ranching". Can't speak for Redding crime, but the Chico area doesn't seem to have much of that.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:20 AM

3 posts, read 18,072 times
Hi! I have lived in Portland, NYC, the Bay area, Redding and now Cottonwood. The entire North State is great. Low crime. Lots to do. Redding is a bit bigger than Chico. Chico is a college town. Check out both. Weather is about the same-sunny. Hot summers. Airconditioning everywhere and it's easy to go to the mountains when its hot- unlike the desert! Just do it! Check out FB site :"Shasta and Tehama Counties WELCOME you!" for photos!

Old 05-18-2010, 02:57 PM

230 posts, read 620,986 times
If I had my choice, and had to choose between the two, I'd choose Chico. I like the college vibe, and all the trees. Redding is a great place if you really like lakes and boating.

I am a Californian-transplant in the Seattle area, and looking to get out of the gloom (can't handle 7 months of overcast days.) But there is no way I'd move to Redding, because of the intense heat. Have you done any research on these places? The idea of gloom there is pretty non-existent. It's very hot and dry. Just be ready, because you will see summer temps in the 100s on a regular basis (Redding more so, often in the 110s.) But you can be sure you wont' have any gloom to deal with!

It's just a very extreme change between Seattle and inland California. Have you considered other areas, do you love extreme heat (some people really do!)?

Between the two, Chico won't be quite as hot, but close. But you'll find fun things to do and people your age in Chico.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:30 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,865 posts, read 10,403,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trixie09 View Post
If I had my choice, and had to choose between the two, I'd choose Chico. I like the college vibe, and all the trees. Redding is a great place if you really like lakes and boating.

I am a Californian-transplant in the Seattle area, and looking to get out of the gloom (can't handle 7 months of overcast days.) But there is no way I'd move to Redding, because of the intense heat. Have you done any research on these places? The idea of gloom there is pretty non-existent. It's very hot and dry. Just be ready, because you will see summer temps in the 100s on a regular basis (Redding more so, often in the 110s.) But you can be sure you wont' have any gloom to deal with!

It's just a very extreme change between Seattle and inland California. Have you considered other areas, do you love extreme heat (some people really do!)?

Between the two, Chico won't be quite as hot, but close. But you'll find fun things to do and people your age in Chico.
Good point, and it's not only just the weather that's "different". Culturally, the whole Central Valley is not only way different from the Seattle area, it's also very different from the urban and coastal areas, that are much more typical of what folks often "assume" all of California is like.

Overall the Valley is alot more conservative, and even being a college town that's arguably more "liberal" than Redding, Chico still ain't no Berkeley! So it might be worthwhile to investigate more than just the differences in the weather before choosing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California