Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 01:20 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,384 times

Advertisements

Most of my nostalgia in so cal is in Santa Monica, West LA in the 80's, early 90's...

-The '84 Olympics in Malibu, saw Water Polo. I remember the drive out there on PCH, it was spectacular. It was cleaner, less traffic. Pretty much epitomized early 80's Los Angeles.

-Uncle Johns in Santa Monica. When did they go out of business?

-All American Burger, Pollys in Santa Monica on Wilshire.

-Trick or treating at Santa Monica Place. The stores use to have candy at 4, or 5 pm. And trick or treating at Westside Pavillion. Don't know if they do that anymore.

-Knotts Berry Farm. And the Knotts chicken dinner. Thats an institution there.

-McDonalds and Burger King. When they use to have the play areas outside. Not the big enclosed ones in a tent. They had simple ones in the 80's. I think they got rid of them because of lawsuits?

-Westworld arcade in the marina del rey marketplace. Spent a fortune there. Was sad to see it close.

-Swensons ice cream in marina del rey. Where the kinkos is now. I went there in 3rd grade for a prize won in school. Fun times.

-Flakey Jakes on Pico and Sepulveda. I remember the hot dogs there and the arcade they had.

-Movies in westwood. Saw the first Home Alone there, christmas '90. Saw other movies there, I dont even remember.

-Bike riding in Venice and Marina Del Rey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 12:19 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbtoo View Post
The thing I'm having a hard time remembering is that I recall a Bob's Big Boy on Lankershim in No. Hollywood that we used to go to after school sometimes. I'm thinking it burned down, but not sure. Does anyone remember this????
I know that you already mentioned that this was not the Bobs on Lankershim at Kittridge. You thought it was closer to Ventura Blvd. Well, I still don't remember it, but I believe you are right about it. I just watched "Every Which Way But Loose," and noticed that there is a Bobs in almost the first scene of the movie. It's possible that it was the one on Sherman Way, but it looked to me to more likely be the mystery location on Lankershim. From what I could tell in the movie, it looks like it might have been on Lankershim, somewhere very close to Cahuenga, a little bit north of Universal Studios.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:24 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I know that you already mentioned that this was not the Bobs on Lankershim at Kittridge. You thought it was closer to Ventura Blvd. Well, I still don't remember it, but I believe you are right about it. I just watched "Every Which Way But Loose," and noticed that there is a Bobs in almost the first scene of the movie. It's possible that it was the one on Sherman Way, but it looked to me to more likely be the mystery location on Lankershim. From what I could tell in the movie, it looks like it might have been on Lankershim, somewhere very close to Cahuenga, a little bit north of Universal Studios.
I was able to capture the image from the movie, so I am going to attach it here for all to see. Perhaps someone will remember where this Bobs was.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgia-cap025.bmp  

Old 05-31-2008, 12:39 AM

35 posts, read 136,776 times
Quote:
Thinking about Mt. Wilson brings back some more memories. Back in the days before we all had Cable TV, we used to have to pick up the over the air broadcasts from Mt. Wilson. If you were in the shadows of the Verdugo Hills, as I was, this was not always an easy task.
Some of us still pick up broadcasts from Mt. Wilson!

Also, speaking of Gemco........they had the Lucky grocery stores included in the facility...."would you like pick up?"

Old 05-31-2008, 07:02 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
I was able to capture the image from the movie, so I am going to attach it here for all to see. Perhaps someone will remember where this Bobs was.
Here's an actual shot from the one on Alemeda: (Make sure you are clicked on Street View)

bob's loc: north hollywood, ca - Google Maps

Old 05-31-2008, 08:26 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatregal View Post
Bobs was a big part of the Valley culture... LOL in Burbank it was cool to order "California style"...
Same with the San Gabriel Valley...in our high school, members of the senior class would pose for a yearbook photograph every year on the statue of "Bob" at the Bob's on Colorado Blvd in Pasadena.

Anyone from that area remember Will Wright's on Colorado Blvd, Stottlemeyer's sandwich shop (before Subway ever came into the picture), Fosselman's Ice Cream Shoppe on Mission in South Pas? When McDonald's hamburgers were 29 cents? That jingle, "don't cook tonight; call Chicken Delight?" (although I don't remember where a Chicken Delight actually was).

Old 06-01-2008, 12:29 PM

42 posts, read 164,849 times
I grew up in Burbank, near Hollywood Way and Victory Blvd., right near the North Hollywood/Burbank line. I remember the Bobs on Lankershim. LOL... I also remember going to see a closed cicuit TAMI (?) show at the theatre (El Portel??) in North Hollywood to see the Beatles in 1964. I was just in grade school at the time. It was a big deal then, The Beatles, The Beach Boys and Leslie Gore.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:48 PM

42 posts, read 164,849 times
Quote:
As far as I know, the Bobs on Riverside Drive in Toluca Lake is the closest one to Glendale. There aren't really that many around now, but there are more than there were a few years ago. The ones I know about are in Lake Havasu City, AZ, Barstow, Baker, Santa Paula (Bobs Big Boy Express), and Toluca Lake. There may still be one on Wilshire (at La Brea?) in the Miracle Mile area, but I haven't been that way in several years, so it may not be there any more.

Edit: I just checked the Bobs website and found that there actually is a restaurant in Glendale again. It's at 1407 Glenoaks. I remember one on Glenoaks from many years ago. Perhaps it has remained there all these years, but I don't remember seeing it for a long time.

Here's the list of locations in California:

Baker
Barstow
Burbank (Toluca Lake)
Calimesa
Colton
Diamond Bar
Glendale
Hesperia
Los Angeles (Miracle Mile)
Santa Paula
Signal Hill
Torrance

Other locations outside of California:

Lake Havasu City, AZ
Honolulu, HI
Bismarck, ND
Danville, IL
Cleveland, OH
Stow, OH
Streetsboro, OH
Tallmadge, OH
Valley View, OH
Cherokee, NC
Altamonte Springs, FL
Sanford, FL

and finally, all of the following locations are in Michigan:

Adrian
Alma
Alpena
Ann Arbor
Bad Axe
Battle Creek
Bay City
Belleville
Big Rapids
Birch Run
Bloomfield Hills
Bridgeport
Brighton
Brooklyn
Cadillac
Caledonia
Canton
Caro
Cascade
Cedar Springs
Charlotte
Cheboygan
Chelsea
Clare
Clarkston
Clinton Township
Clio
Coldwater
Davison
Dearborn
Detroit
East Tawas
Eastpointe
Essexville
Farmington
Fenton
Flat Rock
Fowlerville
Garden City
Gaylord
Grand Blanc
Grand Rapids
Grayling
Greenville
Grosse Pointe Woods
Hartland
Hastings
Houghton Lake
Howell
Imlay City
Ionia
Jackson
Kalamazoo
Kalkaska
Lake Orion
Lincoln Park
Livonia
Ludington
Mackinaw City
Madison Heights
Manistique
Marine City
Marquette
Marysville
Mason
Midland
Milan
Milford
Monroe
Mt. Clemens
Mt. Pleasant
New Baltimore
Novi
Okemos
Owosso
Oxford
Petoskey
Pittsfield Twp
Plainwell
Plymouth
Port Huron
Riverview
Rochester
Rochester Hills
Romulus
Sandusky
Scio Township
South Haven
South Lyon
Southfield
St. Clair Shores
St. Ignace
St. Johns
Sterling Heights
Stevensville
Tawas - East
Taylor
Tecumseh
Traverse City
Troy
Utica
Walker
Walled Lake
Warren
Washington
Waterford
Wayland
West Branch
Westland
Wyandotte
Wyoming
Ypsilanti

I had no idea there were so many Bobs in Michigan!
I go to the Bobs in Toulca Lake (Burbank) when I go back. It's changed (menu), but it still brings back memories. When I first came to Colorado, they had Azars which was the same as Bobs (a franchise?) with the Big Boy burers, only they used 1000 Island instead of the sauce Bobs used. Do you remember that they sold Bobs hambuger sauce and 10000 Island dressing in the refrigerator sections at the markets in California?
When I used to drive back to California with my kids in the 80's, we'd find Big Boys in New Mexico and Utah, under the name of J.B.'s... Wonder if they are still around?

Old 06-01-2008, 01:01 PM

59 posts, read 350,616 times
They still sell Bob's salad dressings up here in Brookings, Oregon - in the refrigerated section. Still good!! Right now all I want is a Big Boy Combo!!! judy

Old 06-08-2008, 04:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,106 times
Default nostalgia indeed

I remember the days when the town I lived in (Fallbrook) was about 90% White, and when most of California wasn't completely overrun with foreigners like it is now.

Even if you disregard race, the SHEER NUMBERS of people that our insane and corrupt government are letting in each year with continue to drastically lower our standard of living.

Yet White Americans are still too cowardly and pathetic to start sticking up for themselves in even the most trivial way. When they see a fellow White resisting when confronted with gang scum and foreign invaders, they side with the enemy and cry "tolerance".

They have no unity, no sense of pride, NOTHING. They support the most sick and vile men in history who rule over them in Washington, believing they have some choice when their masters put two actors in front of them and say "vote". And they have been trained to participate in their own destruction, by condemning the small number of brave and intelligent Whites who would like to take REAL action as "haters", "anti-semites" and "racists". They gladly lap up garbage from Hollywood, produced by their Jewish overlords, which tells them they suck and that they owe non-Whites and Jews everything.

What a spineless and PATHETIC bunch Whites are, especially in California. But hey, this is just an Internet posting, it's not reality. Just go back to your TV and your ball games and your malls and your worthless dollar and your false reality as your children's future slips away. Don't let me bother you. And definitely do not visit sites like stormfront or natall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California