Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2008, 06:20 AM

1 posts, read 7,732 times

Advertisements

Did you know any "Colemans" when you went to school in Pomona? Trying to chase down any children of Leslie or his sister, Kathylin. There in the 1930's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 03:41 PM

330 posts, read 1,314,085 times
Question Lion Country Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeronikaW View Post
I remember Fedco!

I totally remember Lucky and Alpha Beta. I remember the Alpha Beta had weird machines you had to use at the front of the store if you were going write a check for groceries.

There's a Farrell's on Mira Mesa Blvd. in San Diego. It's just like I remember it as a kid.

I still see Cal commercials, but I assume it's a new Cal, because the original must be long dead.

Oh no! Now I have that jingle stuck in my head!! What about Phil & Jim's? I can't even remember what they sold just their commercials that kept repeating Phil & Jim's over and over again.

There's a Winchell's in Poway, and I think there's one in Cerritos. They're scattered here and there.

I was just going to post Lion Country Safari! Looking back, I can't believe that someplace like that actually existed. I loved that place!!

How about the big park that used to be across the street from Knott's Berry Farm? With the lake with the paddle boats? And the big building that was like a replica of some building in Philadelphia or something? I feel like it was called Liberty Park or something.

Or the Haunted Shack at Knotts? Is that still there? And the panning for gold? And there used to be all the shops outside of the park and there was a really good bakery (at least it was good to a kid).

How about Baker's Burritos (I think there's still some out in the IE) or Naugels (they were bought out by Del Taco)?

How about when there were still orange groves in Irvine?

Oh, and there was the best pastrami place in the world in Downey, called Sam's. Oh man, they were killer.

How about old Department stores: Bullock's, Broadway, Montgomery Wards?

How about when there used to be a food court across from the carousel inside South Coast Plaza? Or when there was a Carl's Jr. where the Rainforest cafe is in there?

Oh man, I could go on and on. LOL

V. =)
Lion Country Safari was in Irvine. They closed it because some of the animals would jump on the cars driving through. People would have their windows down and the animals would jump on the kids in the car. The park owners would drug the animals to prevent them from doing that. The animals got sick and some died. The park either closed. Now on that same location is Wild Rivers Water Park and next door used to be Irvine Meadows Ampitheater. Concerts and performances were held there. I saw "Missing Persons" and "Bow Wow Wow" in 1982. But, the Irvine residents complained about the noise and disruption. So the city voted to have it closed. Now it is the Verizon Wireless Ampitheater. There was a dispute among the owners about what do do with the proerty. Now in the same location, festivals and special events are held there. I attended the Irish Festival there a couple of years ago. I wonder if anyone else remembers Lion Country Safari and the Irvine Meadows Ampitheater. Days gone by.

Last edited by Texasturkey; 08-09-2008 at 04:53 PM..

Old 08-09-2008, 06:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post

...and next door used to be Irvine Meadows Ampitheater. Concerts and performances were held there. I saw "Missing Persons" and "Bow Wow Wow" in 1982. But, the Irvine residents complained about the noise and disruption. So the city voted to have it closed. Now it is the Verizon Wireless Ampitheater. There was a dispute among the owners about what do do with the proerty. Now in the same location, festivals and special events are held there. I attended the Irish Festival there a couple of years ago. I wonder if anyone else remembers Lion Country Safari and the Irvine Meadows Ampitheater. Days gone by.
Re: Irvine Meadows Amph. (now Verizon Wireless Amph.), I wasn't aware of it ever closing(?). If they did, it must have been very temporary. I just saw a concert there last year .

Anyway, Irvine Meadows is a great place to see a show. Nice setting, good acoustics, easy parking, easy access, and, with the new growth in the southern half of OC, plenty of things to do before the show. I am biased towards open-air venues. With that said, I have never been disappointed by any show there.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:51 PM

12 posts, read 259,639 times
Gosh, just going through this thread floods my mind with so many memories. Anyone remember going to the Teen Festival in Hollywood at the Paladium on Sunset during the 60's? My mom forced my older brother to take me with him. It was a "groovy" scene with cool stuff to buy like patches, posters and records. The bands there were awesome. How about Jack Frost Surplus Stores? I used to work at the one on Pico/Sepulveda and the one on Santa Monica Blvd. near the 405. That place was filled with characters! How about the Fox Inn on Wilshire near 26th street in Santa Monica? Remember Bill the fox would drink beer standing on his head! Gosh, I miss the pizza at the old La Barbera's Italian Restaurant on Wishire near Bundy Drive in WLA. I guess California is now a place in my memory instead of an actual place anymore. But that's a topic for another thread. Anyone remember Pick's Coffee Shop on Santa monica blvd. near Bundy? Anyone get a hot dog on a stick on the boardwalk next to the Santa Monica Pier? How about a burger at Neenie's on the Santa monica beaches? By the way, now that I live in the valley, I go to the Bear Pit on Sepulveda (near 118) for b-b-q. What memories!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:12 AM

13 posts, read 52,769 times
Close to santa Monica pier was P.O.P.(Pacific ocean park) and the corndogs there were were like 3 for a dollar,and were too good.. The water was actually BLUE!!! The last time I was there santa Monica bay was grey-green,and stunk like sewage...I live in TN now,and just 'discovered" a DEL TACO..on West End ave!!!! I gotta go check it out.... with the BOSTON 8 track playing....

Old 08-17-2008, 10:29 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,484,018 times
One thing I remember fondly of growing up in California was the plethora of orange groves EVERY WHERE!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Topanga Plaza had an ice rink we skated on in the early 1970s and later played broomball on at midnight in the late 1970s

(images not protected by copyright)

West San Fernando Valley looking west 1963; Topanga Plaza under construction in the upper right side. The leftmost of the two big buildings in the foreground is now Home Depot.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:13 AM

330 posts, read 1,314,085 times
Default Bob's Big Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbtoo View Post

My my you have a lot of knowledge about Bobs, but do you recall the one on Lankershim Blvd in No Hollywood???? It would have been in the 70's..maybe 80's...and it was a small, narrow Bobs on a corner kitty corner from the El Portal theater.
Not that one in particular. I didn't live in the San Fernando Valley.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 7,538 times
Hello, I was born in 1976 an have lived in North Hollywood all my life.

I remember Gemco on Vineland an Victory.

How about Zody's on Sherman Way

Bob's Big Boy on Lankershim and Kittridge Now a Coco's Restaurant)

May Company with Laurel Plaza (Loved the Ice Skating Rink) ...too ba the 94 Northridge eartquake cause too much damage

H. Salt Fish & Chips on Laurel Canyon (Now Del Taco)

El Palomino Nightclun on Lankershim Blvd

Sears on Laurel Canyon had a center island on the secvon floor which sold chocolates

Valley Plaza Shopping center (Now a Middle School)

Malibu Castle on Whitsett and Vanowen with a water silde (Now a senior citizen apartments)

Rocky's Raquetball on Laurel Canyon an Strathern

wow so many memories.........

Old 08-29-2008, 04:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie2300 View Post
Hello, I was born in 1976 an have lived in North Hollywood all my life.

I remember Gemco on Vineland an Victory.

How about Zody's on Sherman Way

Bob's Big Boy on Lankershim and Kittridge Now a Coco's Restaurant)

May Company with Laurel Plaza (Loved the Ice Skating Rink) ...too ba the 94 Northridge eartquake cause too much damage

H. Salt Fish & Chips on Laurel Canyon (Now Del Taco)

El Palomino Nightclun on Lankershim Blvd

Sears on Laurel Canyon had a center island on the secvon floor which sold chocolates

Valley Plaza Shopping center (Now a Middle School)

Malibu Castle on Whitsett and Vanowen with a water silde (Now a senior citizen apartments)

Rocky's Raquetball on Laurel Canyon an Strathern

wow so many memories.........
Wasn't Filthy McNastys somewhere around there? It was a bar or a nightclub as I recall. Sometime in the 1970s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California