Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2009, 05:20 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Still there.

I believe it's only closed once in its entire history, when Pearl Harbor happened.

The food's better than Clifton's, however.

Other surviving restaurants of pre-WW2 L.A.: Philippe's (the oldest restaurant in L.A. founded in 1913), La Golondrina on Olvera Street (which claims to be the oldest Mexican restaurant in L.A. - not sure exactly when it opened but given that I've read references to the Mack Sennett crowd congregating there it had to have started in the 1910s), Musso & Frank's (since 1919), El Cholo (since 1928), Greenblatt's Deli (since 1929 - oft overlooked because of Canter's being relatively close), El Coyote (mid 1930s - it would be a shame if the negative publicity coming from the owners supporting Prop 8 closed it down, because they do make superb drinks even if the food isn't that great), Pacific Dining Car (I was never there), a couple of Chinatown restaurants opened in the late '30s but I don't remember their names. There may be others.

The Apple Pan in West L.A. opened in 1941 so it would predate US involvement in World War II although not the war itself (best burgers in the world).

Taix started in 1913 but its old location downtown was destroyed by the building of the Hollywood Freeway and it has been at its current location since 1955.
wow, hubby used to eat at the Pantry when he worked in downtown L.A. and my dad, would drive to Phillipes on Sunday evenings (not every sunday) and bring us home french dips. We only lived about 1/2/ hour away. Last time we ate there was about 10 years ago when we visited L.A. for a couple of days.We have been to La Golondrina's more than once. China Town was a favorite of ours and my dad loved Taix.

Thanks again,

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
According to the Pantry pamphlet, they never closed their doors - even when they relocated many years ago. They relocated from one location to their present location and set up tables on the route (on the sidewalk?) and served while they were in the process of moving. It's been a few years since I've been there and read that pamphlet so my facts may be a little dorked up.

I don't think there is a lock on the door there.

Walk in there and it is like walking into the 1950s.
How about the original Bobs drive-ins, are any of them still around, like the one on San Fernando Road? I don't think they are pre WW11, but at the very beginning. I know we used to go on sundays after the movie when dad was over-seas in 1943. We would either go to that one or the original small walk in on Colo Blvd, eventually I think it was torn down when they built the big drive in on the Glendale/Eagle Rock border.

Nita

Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Other surviving restaurants of pre-WW2 L.A.: ...Pacific Dining Car (I was never there)...
Their breakfasts are wonderful. Go if you can!

Quote:
Taix started in 1913 but its old location downtown was destroyed by the building of the Hollywood Freeway and it has been at its current location since 1955.
I can't believe it's still there. My dad used to take us there for lunch when we were young kids in the 1960's. I still remember the food.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

I can't believe it's still there. My dad used to take us there for lunch when we were young kids in the 1960's. I still remember the food.
It was one of my dad's favorite places,also for lunch. I remember a couple times before Dodger games hubby and I would go there for dinner with friends. It is good to know some of these places are still around, too bad, sooner or later they too will die.

When we lived in the DC area, there are a wonderful restaurant in Baltimore. though it was more like an oversized diner, the food was not strictly home cooking. They did not take reservations thus you needed to get there before 5 to 6pm or expect an hour wait, min. About 10 years ago, the Housner family (the younger ones) decided they didn't want to operate it any longer, now it is a thing of the past...

Nita

Old 02-19-2009, 12:51 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Absolutely superb food. And absolutely superb drinks. One of L.A.'s great treasures.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:51 PM

559 posts, read 1,378,939 times
Quote:
According to the Pantry pamphlet, they never closed their doors - even when they relocated many years ago. They relocated from one location to their present location and set up tables on the route (on the sidewalk?) and served while they were in the process of moving. It's been a few years since I've been there and read that pamphlet so my facts may be a little dorked up.

I don't think there is a lock on the door there.

Walk in there and it is like walking into the 1950s.
If memory serves, they closed for the first time due to a health code violation during Richard Riordan's tenure as mayor of L.A.---he was furious since he is the owner of the diner. I'm guessing that this must have been during the 90's.

To me, it has a vibe closer to depression era 1930's than the sock-hoppy 50's.

Priceless experience and definitely worth a visit.

Old 02-19-2009, 03:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
If memory serves, they closed for the first time due to a health code violation during Richard Riordan's tenure as mayor of L.A.---he was furious since he is the owner of the diner. I'm guessing that this must have been during the 90's.

To me, it has a vibe closer to depression era 1930's than the sock-hoppy 50's.

Priceless experience and definitely worth a visit.
Ya, that does ring a bell, it did seem like the 30s...it wasn't the juke box atmosphere. Little things like the light fixtures and the clock look 70 years old.

Health Inspectors Close Restaurant Owned by Mayor - Los Angeles Times

Old 02-19-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Ya, that does ring a bell, it did seem like the 30s...it wasn't the juke box atmosphere. Little things like the light fixtures and the clock look 70 years old.

Health Inspectors Close Restaurant Owned by Mayor - Los Angeles Times
Hey Charles I am 70 years old and don't have ligft fixtures or a clock that old...LOL

Nita

Old 02-19-2009, 09:51 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I was going to mention that, but I see you beat me to it. As I recall, it was about 10 years ago. I guess I'll have to open the links above to find out.

Edit: I checked the link... It was a little over 11 years ago.

Last edited by jdavid93225; 02-19-2009 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: added "Edit"

Old 02-20-2009, 12:31 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
I didn't realize until looking at this site that Barney's Beanery is also a survivor of pre-WW2 L.A. - having opened in 1920:

Los Angeles Historic Restaurants & Cafes Apple Pan to Clifton's (A-C) (http://www.latimemachines.com/new_page_7.htm - broken link)

I knew it had been around since at least the 40s but didn't know it predated the war.

I left out quite a few other L.A. restaurants dating from before WW2 that should have been obvious choices, like the Formosa Cafe and Tom Bergin's.

BTW, the site referenced above covers pre-1970 restaurants and bars in L.A., O.C., S.F., S.D., and other parts of California in detail including those which no longer exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California