Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2009, 01:34 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,279,764 times

Advertisements

Here are some more Nor Cal ones:
- Many well used railway spurs and sidings off of the SJ-SF Southern Pacific alignment all the way up into the City, with multiple freight trains daily. (Today I think there may be one or two per day, with only a few dozen cars)
- The old Dumbarton (steel, with a lift section, two lanes) automobile bridge
- Steel being made in South San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, San Jose, Fremont, Union City, Hayward and Oakland.
- Cars being made in Milpitas, where the Great Mall is today, in the old Ford plant.
- "Silicon Valley" being mostly located in San Mateo County and only a little bit into far NW Santa Clara County, and the phrase "Silicon Valley" only being known by a few hundred industry insiders.
- The Wagon Wheel (and the Wagon Wheel deals made on bar napkins).
- The old Mariani plant in Cupertino.
- Doggie Diner being a significant chain with multiple locations
- Zim's - ditto
- Running into Herb Caen at the "Washbag."
- Running into Herb Caen again, a few days later, at a Museum Society luncheon.
- Riding horses where there are now mega mansions
- Having multiple outdoor shooting ranges in the flatlands
- The Fremont Raceway (aka "Fremont Drag Strip")
- The old Fremont Airport
- Skysailing Airport
- Scoring cases of beer in Whisky Gulch ... at age 16.
- Day on the Green (times many)
- Johnny Rotten being interviewed, live and unscripted, on KSAN (back when they still had an AOR format)
- The Fab Mab
- Massive rafts of sloops, mid summer, at ... (name your old school podunk Bay marina) ... hearing people falling into the water between the boats at 3AM after having too much to drink ... thank God no one drowned!
- The classic goofy morning drive time show on KNBR (Dill, Cleary, et al)
- Going spur of the moment to Giants games at "Windlestick" and getting good seats (hmmmm ... on second thought, that's not necessarily a good thing ... I think they were even worse back then than they are now and set all time MLB low attendance records!)
- Much of the Embarcadero still having that gritty port vibe
.... to be continued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 11:21 PM

42 posts, read 164,234 times
Anyone remember the "Dog House" on Sunset in the mid to late 60's? Pandoras Box?

Old 06-05-2009, 11:37 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,680,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatregal View Post
Anyone remember the "Dog House" on Sunset in the mid to late 60's? Pandoras Box?
I'm a little fuzzy (furry?) on the Dog House, but I remember seeing Preston Epps at Pandora's. We were seated right in front of his bongos, when drops of his perspiration began landing on us and in our drinks. His act was teriffic, though.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:19 PM

42 posts, read 164,234 times
lol...The Dog House was a small hot dog chain...there was one accross the street and to the east of Pandoras Box.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatregal View Post
lol...The Dog House was a small hot dog chain...there was one accross the street and to the east of Pandoras Box.
O.K. Got it now. That might have been a Dog House on 6th by the car wash from the movie of the same name.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 3,384 times
i remember the Palomino we went there New Years Eve 1979 for my moms BD there was 15 of us in the group had so much fun

Old 06-14-2009, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,329 times
Bob's Big Boy on Lankershim was across the street from Curries Ice Cream Parlor (remember those?) El Portal Theater was a few stores down from Curries on the same side of the street. There was a Rathburn's clothing store also. Just north of Chandler Blvd by the railroad tracks. There was also a Sturdvants Auto Parts where my Dad worked for years. Down the street on Chandler is where we parked for North Hollywood High School in the 50's. I graduated in 1958. My grandfather had a blacksmith shop on Cumpston just north of Chandller in the 1920's. Near where the Bank of America was, used to be open from 9 to 3 and never on a Sat. How about Sears on the corner of Victory Blvd and Laurel Canyon??? Built in the 50's. My dad and a friend had a chance to buy all that land for $ 300 a acre, but couldn't see any future in it. What??? Do you remember the Los Angeles River? Which is now part of the 110 freeway I think. Also where May Company is now. Used to play cowboys and Indians in the L. A. river bed. Anyone else do the same???

Old 06-14-2009, 03:36 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leni Beebe View Post
Bob's Big Boy on Lankershim was across the street from Curries Ice Cream Parlor (remember those?) El Portal Theater was a few stores down from Curries on the same side of the street. There was a Rathburn's clothing store also. Just north of Chandler Blvd by the railroad tracks. There was also a Sturdvants Auto Parts where my Dad worked for years. Down the street on Chandler is where we parked for North Hollywood High School in the 50's. I graduated in 1958. My grandfather had a blacksmith shop on Cumpston just north of Chandller in the 1920's. Near where the Bank of America was, used to be open from 9 to 3 and never on a Sat. How about Sears on the corner of Victory Blvd and Laurel Canyon??? Built in the 50's. My dad and a friend had a chance to buy all that land for $ 300 a acre, but couldn't see any future in it. What??? Do you remember the Los Angeles River? Which is now part of the 110 freeway I think. Also where May Company is now. Used to play cowboys and Indians in the L. A. river bed. Anyone else do the same???
Leni, so much of what you are remembering rings a bell: we lived in Eagle Rock, the original Bobs was in Glendale and mom, sis and I would go there for hamburgers when dad was over seas. As for Curries, we had one on Eagle Rock Blvd, originally it was called Coast/Curries. Dad would go there on Sunday nights sometimes and bring back a couple of pints of hand packed ice cream.Hand packed gave you a little extra: moms favorite was Black Walnut.

Then you mention buying land, my best friends father, who worked for the railroad always had a great deal, most of the deals, in fact all but one were duds. He tried to get my dad to go with him and buy useless land (as dad called it) in then Puente, California. It was selling for like, $25 an acre. Of course dad, being the brillant Electrical Engineer he was and always knowing more than the next person laughed at the guy. Who died, a multi millionaire? Not my dad!!!!

Nita

Old 06-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leni Beebe View Post
We used to hunt frogs in the LA River by SF Road in Glendale, and then stop by the local dairy for an ice cold quart of chocolate milk.

I never went to the local Bob's when I lived in Glendale, but spent many happy hours at Bob's in Toluca Lake when I was supposed to be in HS. Whenever it rained heavily in the valley the streets would become flooded. "Everyone" would call in to school that they were stranded, and then meet up at Bob's.

Sturdevant Auto Parts was a real lifesaver. The starter on my '67 GTO died close to midnight one cold winter night, and we were a long way from home. Sturtevant was still open at that late hour, and took care of me.

NO. Hollywood had a great QB in '58, and he led his team to victory over our Monroe Vikings. That was our first year, though, and we had a small senior class.

Before we were married my wife worked at a Currie's near USC. She always walked home from work, passing an old house along the way that was used in a scarey movie. That was the only thing to fear then.

Still haven't seen any posts about the roller skating rink in VN. That was the place to be on SAT nights.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
We used to hunt frogs in the LA River by SF Road in Glendale, and then stop by the local dairy for an ice cold quart of chocolate milk.

I never went to the local Bob's when I lived in Glendale, but spent many happy hours at Bob's in Toluca Lake when I was supposed to be in HS. Whenever it rained heavily in the valley the streets would become flooded. "Everyone" would call in to school that they were stranded, and then meet up at Bob's.

Sturdevant Auto Parts was a real lifesaver. The starter on my '67 GTO died close to midnight one cold winter night, and we were a long way from home. Sturtevant was still open at that late hour, and took care of me.

NO. Hollywood had a great QB in '58, and he led his team to victory over our Monroe Vikings. That was our first year, though, and we had a small senior class.

Before we were married my wife worked at a Currie's near USC. She always walked home from work, passing an old house along the way that was used in a scarey movie. That was the only thing to fear then.

Still haven't seen any posts about the roller skating rink in VN. That was the place to be on SAT nights.
wow, you were just a few years behind me: because I lived in Eagle Rock/Pasa area we didn't go to VN, but did frequent the rollar rink in Pasadenas as well as the one at Pick Wink in Glendale.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California