Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 05:41 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

Who remembers the Goodyear Blimp base in Torrance?

Who recalls when the freeway names were what people referred to, not their numbers: The Long Beach Freeway, Harbor Freeway, Santa Monica, Pasadena, Hollywood, Pomona, Santa Ana, San Bernardino, Van Nuys, San Diego? The only one commonly referred to by it's number was "the 605," and it wasn't finished.

Does the name "Chavez Ravine" ring a bell with anyone?

Does anyone remember WHY Imperial Highway is called that?
That airship base is still there, right? Near the San Diego Freeway and golf course near Dominguez Hills or was there another one in Torrance?

Some people still do call the freeways by their proper names, like the San Diego Freeway (which doesn't go to San Diego).

From 1962-1966 (or something like that), the Los Angeles Angels of the American League played at Chavez Ravine. They didn't call it Dodger Stadium. They moved to Anaheim Stadium in 1967 and were renamed the California Angels.

Imperial Neighborhood near LAX?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 05:57 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,450,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That airship base is still there, right? Near the San Diego Freeway and golf course near Dominguez Hills or was there another one in Torrance?

Some people still do call the freeways by their proper names, like the San Diego Freeway (which doesn't go to San Diego).

From 1962-1966 (or something like that), the Los Angeles Angels of the American League played at Chavez Ravine. They didn't call it Dodger Stadium. They moved to Anaheim Stadium in 1967 and were renamed the California Angels.

Imperial Neighborhood near LAX?

The blimp base is still there? I thought it was long gone but, then again, I haven't been in that neighborhood in years.

Imperial Highway is called that because it used to go all the way to the Imperial Valley. It ran up into the mountains and wound it's way down to Brawley (Maybe it was El Centro).

Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 9,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
The blimp base is still there? I thought it was long gone but, then again, I haven't been in that neighborhood in years.
Yes, it is still there. Drove by yesterday while on business.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:31 PM

42 posts, read 164,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Flip flops were called shower shoes?
I remember them being called "zorros" and "beach walkers"...also "thongs" although my daughters die when I call them that now, as it's confused with their undies.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:45 PM

42 posts, read 164,239 times
Wow... I remember the "Pike" amusement park in Long Beach... It was called Queens Park in the 70's, after the arrival of the Queen Mary. That is about the time they also had the "spruce Goose" on display. The amusement park in Santa Monica was POP (Pacific Ocean Park), which opened sometime in the late 50's. I remember going there when it opened,... I was only about 3 or 4 years old. I believe it was destroyed by a fire in the late 60's or very early 70's.
Does anyone remember a large fire at Signial Hill (I think it was there) in the late 50's? I was very young, but I was staying with my grandmother in Lakewood/Bellflower and I could hear nothing but sirens the whole day.
I do remember Dairy Valley very well.
LOL... I still refer to the freeways in LA by their names! I have a hard time when I'm given directions by their numerical names when I'm back in Calif.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,468,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatregal View Post
Wow... I remember the "Pike" amusement park in Long Beach... It was called Queens Park in the 70's, after the arrival of the Queen Mary. That is about the time they also had the "spruce Goose" on display. The amusement park in Santa Monica was POP (Pacific Ocean Park), which opened sometime in the late 50's.
Ocean Park Pier had been around since the 1910s but was remodelled and renamed Pacific Ocean Park in order to compete with Disneyland. It closed at the end of the '60s and the vacant park was destroyed by several fires in the early '70s. There are expensive condos there now. Not only was the park destroyed but the Cheetah Club (famous rock venue which the Doors, Pink Floyd, the Seeds, Buffalo Springfield, Alice Cooper, Love, the Byrds, and many others performed at) and the entire surrounding neighborhood got torn down as part of a Santa Monica "urban renewal" scheme (read: eminent domain action giving corporate welfare to greedy developers)

Parts of the Santa Monica Freeway have actually been renamed - for example the part going from PCH to the 405 is now called the Pearl Harbor Memorial Freeway, and the part from the 405 to the 110 is now called the Rosa Parks Freeway. No one uses those names (not that I have any objections to commemorating the victims of Pearl Harbor or commemorating Rosa Parks, but the names aren't in use. I just hope that no one decides to name a freeway after Michael Jackson...). When in L.A. I still hear the names "Hollywood Freeway" and "Ventura Freeway" more than those of the other freeways although "the 101" is the preferred name.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
"Ventura Freeway" more than those of the other freeways although "the 101" is the preferred name.
Interesting post.

Yep, the "Ventura Freeway" is also the 134 east of the 134/101.

Ventura Freeway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-22-2009, 06:34 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,764,481 times
Quote:
When in L.A. I still hear the names "Hollywood Freeway" and "Ventura Freeway" more than those of the other freeways although "the 101" is the preferred name.
I still refer to the old freeways by name, Hollywood, Pasadena, etc.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,468,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Interesting post.

Yep, the "Ventura Freeway" is also the 134 east of the 134/101.

Ventura Freeway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A friend of mine who's a Valley native uses "the 134" to describe the 101 part of the Ventura Freeway as he associates the 101 with the Hollywood Freeway.

I've never heard the 170, the 118, or the 2 referred to by name, even back in the '80s.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:11 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Ocean Park Pier had been around since the 1910s but was remodelled and renamed Pacific Ocean Park in order to compete with Disneyland. It closed at the end of the '60s and the vacant park was destroyed by several fires in the early '70s. There are expensive condos there now. Not only was the park destroyed but the Cheetah Club (famous rock venue which the Doors, Pink Floyd, the Seeds, Buffalo Springfield, Alice Cooper, Love, the Byrds, and many others performed at) and the entire surrounding neighborhood got torn down as part of a Santa Monica "urban renewal" scheme (read: eminent domain action giving corporate welfare to greedy developers)

Parts of the Santa Monica Freeway have actually been renamed - for example the part going from PCH to the 405 is now called the Pearl Harbor Memorial Freeway, and the part from the 405 to the 110 is now called the Rosa Parks Freeway. No one uses those names (not that I have any objections to commemorating the victims of Pearl Harbor or commemorating Rosa Parks, but the names aren't in use. I just hope that no one decides to name a freeway after Michael Jackson...). When in L.A. I still hear the names "Hollywood Freeway" and "Ventura Freeway" more than those of the other freeways although "the 101" is the preferred name.
yep, we referred to them as the PIKE and POP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California