Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 03:03 PM

168 posts, read 637,177 times

Advertisements

Yes, wrestling, that's the place! Was it Valley Gardens?

I think these new sky-writers need a lesson in spelling, (wink wink). All I see these days is a jumble of lines, lol. Remember how bad the air smelled in the summer evenings in the 60's, we wanted so much to get rid of the air pollution, but now they spread it across the skies on purpose.

Anyone remember Piggly Wiggly's with their wood shavings floor? Or A&W drive-ins?

Those were great days when you could wander anywhere in the valley by foot and not worry about which n'hood you were in.

What was the name of that drink bar at Laurel Plaza with the tropical drinks? "Blue Surprise" or something like that was my favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 03:33 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward View Post
Yes, wrestling, that's the place! Was it Valley Gardens?

I think these new sky-writers need a lesson in spelling, (wink wink). All I see these days is a jumble of lines, lol. Remember how bad the air smelled in the summer evenings in the 60's, we wanted so much to get rid of the air pollution, but now they spread it across the skies on purpose.

Anyone remember Piggly Wiggly's with their wood shavings floor? Or A&W drive-ins?

Those were great days when you could wander anywhere in the valley by foot and not worry about which n'hood you were in.

What was the name of that drink bar at Laurel Plaza with the tropical drinks? "Blue Surprise" or something like that was my favorite.
I think you're correct with Valley Gardens. I forgot about the A&W drive-ins. There were a couple left into the 90s, but the ones I remember were in Fillmore and Fresno, not the L.A. area. They are long gone now, though. There are a few A&W restaurants that have sprung up recently, in connection with other YUM franchises (KFC/Taco Bell/Pizza Hut/Long John Silver's).

The only tropical drink place I remember in Laurel Plaza was the old Orange Julius kiosk outside the Ice Capades. The Blue Surprise may have been there before my time.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:38 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Good old "Route 66!"!!

Old 03-18-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good old "Route 66!"!!
Well, there was also Route 99 (later bypassed by I-5 in SoCal). Portions further north still exist, though they are mostly freeway now.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:51 PM

Oh, you are right! I do see Route 99 every so often when we go places. I forgot that one!!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Oh, you are right! I do see Route 99 every so often when we go places. I forgot that one!!
Highway 99 is what I believe used to be the Golden State Highway, from which we get the Golden State Freeway portion of I-5 (from East L.A. to the 5/99 split south of Bakersfield). North of the split, the 99 is still called the Golden State Highway or Freeway.

There was also US Route 6, that was at one time (1938 to 1964) the longest highway in the United States, stretching from Provincetown (Cape Cod), MA. to Long Beach, CA. Here's a link to some good info about it:

http://www.gbcnet.com/ushighways/US6/US6.html

Since 1964, the portion of US 6 between Long Beach, CA. and Bishop, CA. has since been designated differently (110/5/14/395), so US 6 officially ends in Bishop. It could make a fun road trip.

Last edited by jdavid93225; 03-18-2007 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Adding info.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:37 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
"Does anyone remember Jungleland in Thousand Oaks? I grew up in Ventura County (born in the 40's), and our parents would take us to Jungleland fairly often. We loved that "theme" park. It had great wild animal exhibits and fantastic shows. Lions were always my favorite. It was large enough to entertain anyone, yet not so large that you couldn't see everything in just one afternoon."
I remember that whenever it rained heavily the park flooded and they were hard pressed to get the animals out of their cages to safety.

How about this one? Ralph Helfer's Africa USA? Was located in the mountains near Fillmore. Ralph promoted his training method as "affection training". While in jr college nearby I applied for a job as a lion trainer there. That's when I learned that the affection part came into play after you got the animal's attention. Decided against going through with it, but it may have been a missed opportunity (Vegas?).

Old 03-18-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
"Does anyone remember Jungleland in Thousand Oaks? I grew up in Ventura County (born in the 40's), and our parents would take us to Jungleland fairly often. We loved that "theme" park. It had great wild animal exhibits and fantastic shows. Lions were always my favorite. It was large enough to entertain anyone, yet not so large that you couldn't see everything in just one afternoon."
I remember that whenever it rained heavily the park flooded and they were hard pressed to get the animals out of their cages to safety.

How about this one? Ralph Helfer's Africa USA? Was located in the mountains near Fillmore. Ralph promoted his training method as "affection training". While in jr college nearby I applied for a job as a lion trainer there. That's when I learned that the affection part came into play after you got the animal's attention. Decided against going through with it, but it may have been a missed opportunity (Vegas?).
I don't remember either of these, but I do remember that there was a wild animal sanctuary near Canyon Country along Soledad Canyon Road. I don't know what became of it, though.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:45 AM

Could you be talking about the wildlife waystation in Little Tujunga Cyn.? If so, it's still there. They have been having some problems with the state about several little things but enough to cause some problems for them. It is a wonderful place to visit and volunteer. They have done a great job with their rescue of exotic animals. I donated my time there for a bit of time and it was a great experience and in a beautiful area.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I am not sure about Winchell's Donuts. The ones I remember have since changed hands and become something else, but it seems like I've seen one or two around in my travels, but I don't remember where.
Winchell's still exists, although they have fewer locations than they used to.
There's still one on National and Westwood, amongst others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California