Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 06:39 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Another place I think is still around is the donut shop in Glendora...
The Donut Man on Route 66. If you're there during the right season, get their peach or strawberry filled donuts, which they're famous for. I wonder if Pie and Burger is still on California Blvd (east of Lake Ave) in Pasadena. That's been there for ages also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 06:42 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Another place I think is still around is the donut shop in Glendora..I can't remember the name of it.
Nita
If you're referring to the place with the fresh strawberry and peach filled donuts (when in season), the name is "The Donut Man." It's located at 915 E Route 66 in Glendora. It's worth a stop even if it's not the place of your memories.

I remember back in the day when L.A. street lighting was by mercury vapor lamps. It was kinda cool how the light would make your skin look like corpse--my palms would have that mottled, lead-gray color. I really hated the transition to the sodium vapor lamps with their yucky orange light; really ruined the look of the nightscape. Did the transition take place during the 70's?

Is current lighting by metal halide? Street lighting is either less orange now or I really got used to it.

Edit upon seeing CA4Now's post:

I guess great minds think alike and at the same time. Pie 'n Burger is still around unless something happened in the past week or two.

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 11-13-2009 at 06:54 AM.. Reason: update

Old 11-13-2009, 10:52 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Metal halide is bright white light.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The Donut Man on Route 66. If you're there during the right season, get their peach or strawberry filled donuts, which they're famous for. I wonder if Pie and Burger is still on California Blvd (east of Lake Ave) in Pasadena. That's been there for ages also.
of course that is it, how come I always forget!!!! And of course there are no calories in their donuts!!!!

Nita

Old 11-14-2009, 11:31 PM

59 posts, read 350,681 times
Default Pops Willow Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatregal View Post
Wow...Where did you ever find this picture? So many people have talked at Pops Willow Lake and no one could find a picture. Great!
Someone on Classmates posted it for me. Great photos of Glendale and the 50's on Hoover High-Glendale albums.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:39 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Can anyone remember baseball before the Major Leagues moved West?Who recalls the old Pacific Coast League?There were eight teams;the Seattle Rainiers,Portland Beavers,Sacramento Solons,Oakland Oaks,San Francisco Seals,Hollywood Stars,Los Angeles Angels,and San Diego Padres.Teams played a seven game series with each other Tuesday through Sunday with monday a travel day.Sunday was double header day and the second game was a shortened seven inning one.The level of play was quite good,players not quite good enough to make it in the majors,older former major leagers on the way down,or youngsters on the way up.As a devoted Angel fan as a boy made many trips to old Wrigley Field,but never to Gilmore Field,the home of the hated Stars.Wrigley was a hitters ballpark.It was 340 feet down the left field foul line,339 to right,only 345 to the power alleys in right and left center,and 412 to dead center.The legendary Bob Kelley was the Angel play by play radio announcer.

Last edited by BlackShoe; 11-15-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 01:21 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
.The legendary Bob Kelley was the Angel play by play radio announcer.
I think Bob Kelly called the Rams too.

After Bob Kelly, the Rams hired a kid who previously was the baseball coach at San Fernando Valley State College, (later called California State University Northridge): Dick Enberg.

Here is Bob Kelly calling the first play of the 1950 NFL championship game against the Cleveland Browns . LISTEN

from

THE LOS ANGELES RAMS (http://community-2.webtv.net/laramfan/THELOSANGELESRAMS/ - broken link)

Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Can anyone remember baseball before the Major Leagues moved West?Who recalls the old Pacific Coast League?There were eight teams;the Seattle Rainiers,Portland Beavers,Sacramento Solons,Oakland Oaks,San Francisco Seals,Hollywood Stars,Los Angeles Angels,and San Diego Padres.Teams played a seven game series with each other Tuesday through Sunday with monday a travel day.Sunday was double header day and the second game was a shortened seven inning one.The level of play was quite good,players not quite good enough to make it in the majors,older former major leagers on the way down,or youngsters on the way up.As a devoted Angel fan as a boy made many trips to old Wrigley Field,but never to Gilmore Field,the home of the hated Stars.Wrigley was a hitters ballpark.It was 340 feet down the left field foul line,339 to right,only 345 to the power alleys in right and left center,and 412 to dead center.The legendary Bob Kelley was the Angel play by play radio announcer.
Looks like we are the era...I too, was an Angels fan, but I did go to Gilmore Field a couple of times, we parents were Hollywood Stars fans. Probably I was the only girl in the late 40s (when I was still in elementary school) that was a baseball fan. And no, I really wasn't a tom boy..I do remember thinking the San Diego Padres were all priests. We studies Ca history in the 4th grade and the padres were involved in the development of all the Ca missions.

Nita

Old 11-17-2009, 10:37 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,551,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkate_m View Post
I haven't been to this place in a long time but it's still in Redondo Beach - you can go in & say hi to George!
307 S. PCH in RB 90277
There's a new counter!!! ->
Liver & onions: breakfast or any regular standard.
Cheeseburger: lunch - don't rile George up by asking for cheddar! "American cheese is good for EVERYBODY"
Chili Fries: my daughter's favorite.
Coffee: good old fashioned with CHICORY!

My daughter is reminiscing that if we went there for breakfast, she could get a mini box of the cereal that was forbidden at home! "Cartoon Cereal"... or "sugar cereal" .

Also, if the stools were "new" then where would the charm be? How could we sit on the same stools we sat on over a decade ago???

Old 11-22-2009, 04:09 PM

59 posts, read 350,681 times
Default Engineer Bill

Engineer Bill - Red light, Green light.

Wow...Engineer Bill.... I remember drinking my milk while I watched him (some kind of a game). Remember Popeye...the host, sailor something..., he always drew a picture from a "squiggle". Do you remember Sheriff John?

LOL... I had forgotten The Bear Pit..... I loved going there when I was a kid![/quote]
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgia-disp59.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California