Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 09:11 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,932 times

Advertisements

I love this thread. I've been reading it in backwards order, because each time I come here I figure I'll get bored and not feel like starting at the beginning. A few weeks later, and I'm still here, still reading backwards, but am only back to page 50. Afraid to post as I don't want to duplicate, but . . .

I just saw "Pete Ellis Dodge, Long Beach Freeway, Firestone Exit, Southgate!" and have to reply. I cannot remember where I put my keys earlier today, but I can remember the jingle to this commercial, isn't that sad? And I see I'm not the only one, as somebody else posted a YouTube of one of those commercials, but here it is again just in case you want to hear that little ditty one more time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOENWpG86NY

I used to watch Chiller every week, but my favorite scary show was Strange Tales of Science Fiction. As I recall, it was on Saturday or Sunday afternoons around 3:30 p.m. on Channel 9. The best part of it was the introduction, which had eerie music playing while showing a castle surrounded by mist. Here is a link to some info about it as well as other scary TV shows including Chiller: E-gor's Chamber of TV Horror Hosts — Tomb of the Unknown / Unseen Horror Hosts - it's about three quarters down the page. Here is a link to the music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW09JsctkA0 - it always creeped me out. And let's not forget Fright Night with Seymour - not scary at all, but I thought he was extremely funny.

I grew up in Orange County, so a lot of my nostalgia pertains to that area. Something I read in this thread reminded me of Larry Huffman, who has been doing radio commercials ever since I can remember, and I see he is still doing them. His voice is so "Orange County" to me. He used to do the commercials for The Grant Boys store in Costa Mesa, and I'm pretty sure he also did commercials for the Orange County International Raceway, which disappeared long ago. I'm sure you will recognize his voice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSAeNpQ9cVI - Sunday Sunday SUNDAY!!!!

Oh well, that's all for now, but I'm sure I'll be back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Don't hesitate to repeat stuff. Most of us are old and suffer from CRS.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:28 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,932 times
LOL - Can't Remember Stuff? That would be me.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Well, stuff also works...

Old 03-07-2011, 12:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Went to the Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix. They have a special exhibit on Latino music. Walked in to a big photo of a low rider. Best part: the East L.A. influence on rock. They had hand drawn posters from the 60's. A playlist from KRLA for Feb, 1965. (Everyone from Beatles to Trini Lopez, Petula Clark to Roger Miller.) Big ad for a rock concert with Dave Hull as master of ceremonies. Very serious postings on the wall about the various concert halls in L.A. and the influence of area hispanics on music. People walking around like it was soooo serious. I'm walking around like, "Wow! I was at that concert. Cost 75 cents to get in." I felt like a dinasaur. Or some hip pioneer.

Hadn't thought about the Chicano Moratorium Movement (which was discussed very seriously) for decades.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:19 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
I love this thread. I've been reading it in backwards order, because each time I come here I figure I'll get bored and not feel like starting at the beginning. A few weeks later, and I'm still here, still reading backwards, but am only back to page 50. Afraid to post as I don't want to duplicate, but . . .
I agree with the others... Don't worry about duplications. This thread has been around for a while now, and I don't really remember much of what was in the beginning of it, even though I started it way back when... I am enjoying reading (and re-reading) about everyone's memories, so keep 'em coming.

Quote:
I just saw "Pete Ellis Dodge, Long Beach Freeway, Firestone Exit, Southgate!" and have to reply.
The old Cal Worthington commercials were pretty funny back in the day, too. "Here's Cal Worthington and his dog 'Spot.'" "I'll stand on my head to make you a deal." "Go see Cal, Go see Cal, Go see Cal!"

Quote:
I grew up in Orange County, so a lot of my nostalgia pertains to that area. Something I read in this thread reminded me of Larry Huffman, who has been doing radio commercials ever since I can remember, and I see he is still doing them.
I never thought of his as coming from Orange County, since I used to hear him all the time where I lived in L.A. County. I can't really remember everything he used to advertise, but I do remember his voice. I'm pretty sure he used to advertise for events like the "Superbowl of Motocross" and, I also think he used to advertise RVs or an RV dealership, but I can't remember much more than that. The Magic Mountain link was funny to listen to because it brought back so many memories of those earlier commercials.

Quote:
Oh well, that's all for now, but I'm sure I'll be back.
I'm glad you dropped in, and look forward to hearing (well, reading) what you have to say next time!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:35 PM

42 posts, read 164,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber mcghee in mali View Post
There was one down by the Chinese theater, wasn't there? It was my old lady's favorite ice cream place in the '60.
I know what you're thinking of... It was called CC (or C Something) Browns. They served Hot Fudge Sundaes with little brown pitchers holding the hot fudge sauce. It was located right by the Chinese theatre.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:28 AM

9 posts, read 23,286 times
That's the one. There sure were a lot of ice cream places around back then.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:33 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,412 times
Orange County PBS station, KOCE, channel 50 (PBS SoCal) is currently running the entire 12 hour series, "An American Family." It is considered the first reality TV series and centers on the Loud Family, a suburban, upper middle class family in Santa Barbara. It covers almost a year of their lives in 1971.

I didn't see it the first time it ran in 1973 (maybe some of you did) and I haven't watched all of it now but what I have seen is an amazing time capsule of early 70's SoCal plus NYC and some Eugene, Oregon. I think they are showing it now because HBO just released a fictional docudrama version called Cinema Verite.

It's running on channel 50.1 as I write this and will be re-run two more times on 50.4, from 9AM to 9PM today (Sunday, April 24) and then immediately restarts from 9PM to 9AM (Sunday through Monday, April 25).

The series inspired a 90's band, "The Loud Family," which might have been my first exposure to the name.

I think the 1980 film, Foxes, is also a cool look at the Valley (and some Hollywood) of the late 70's. It stars Jodie Foster and Cherie Curie (of the Runaways) and even shows a brief shot of the band, Angel. There are scenes of teens crashing parties and going to see bands, behavior that I can imagine some of the C-D members (Charles?) engaging in.

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 04-24-2011 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: fixed air times

Old 04-24-2011, 06:53 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Orange County PBS station, KOCE, channel 50 (PBS SoCal) is currently running the entire 12 hour series, "An American Family." It is considered the first reality TV series and centers on the Loud Family, a suburban, upper middle class family in Santa Barbara. It covers almost a year of their lives in 1971.
As I remember, conservatives hated that show, believing it's true motive was to attack their sacred views on the institution of family. I guess they've evolved or societal mores have degenerated, since I didn't hear any such outcry from them over "The Osbournes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California