Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 04:29 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times

Advertisements

Haoleman,

The Inland Empire is the 14th largest metropolitan area in the nation. It is east of both LA and Orange County and North of San Diego County. They started calling it that back in the 1950's. What it is is the mass of land and people that live inland from the coast predominetly in Riverside and San Bernadino Counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 05:54 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobmw View Post
My friend's son just got layed off from the surf board shop in Newport Beach where he has worked for 5 years. Surely that can't be housing related?
Yeah, actually, it is. People were buying all kinds of toys with money borrowed on home equity that didn't really exist. Now that it's all crashed ... they're not spending money on anything non-essential.

If you have limited funds are you going to eat or spend money on surf boards. The answer is obvious.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:08 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
From Maslow's hierarchy of needs:

and down here----->>>>> broadband
LOL, I agree but I better not show it to my wife, she may not agree. But I keep telling her isn't it better that I need broadband more than a sports package on cable.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:13 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Yeah, actually, it is. People were buying all kinds of toys with money borrowed on home equity that didn't really exist. Now that it's all crashed ... they're not spending money on anything non-essential.
If people were buying based on what they earned it would not have hit as hard.

But like you and I said it was paper value in the home equity that they borrowed.

The thing need people need to keep in mind is that home values have returned to where they were in 2001 or 2002.

If we had all recognized that it was just a temporary bubble that was bound to pop, the debt levels would not be where they are today..

Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post

But like you and I said it was paper value in the home equity that they borrowed.
I never really understood this (not that I disagree...I just don't understand.)

Assume you borrow as much as you can afford, assume fixed. Assume the bank won't let your payments be more than 30% of your salary. For numbers say you make $50K and the bank will loan you no more than $200K because you don't have the cash flow to borrow more - read again - because you don't have the cash flow to borrow more. It's all based on that 30%. Remember, we're talking fixed rates.

Now, say your house appreciates on paper to $500K. You still make $50K. You are still paying as much as you can afford towards that $200K loan. You are still constrained to that 30%.

How do you borrow more money based on the home equity? If you were to borrow more money your payments would have to go up. But you are already maxed out in cash flow - you can't borrow more.

So, what does increased home equity have to do with it? Nothing unless one or more of these things happen: The bank lets you go above the 30% constraint (which would mean higher monthly payments with the same salary); interest rates go down (so you can borrow more for the same payment), your income increases (so you can borrow more money because you pay higher payments)....I can't think of any more...

But the explanation we always read about (and is referenced by the poster I quoted), is that you can borrow more ("Home Equity ATM") because of increased home equity. The math doesn't support this. Maybe I'm missing something.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
The math doesn't support this. Maybe I'm missing something.
You based your entire argument on bank limits that got tossed out the window starting in late 2004 and continuing through much of 2007. That's what you're missing.

People pulled 200k from their homes and spent it. Went back and took whatever was left too. That money was spent on everything from surfboards to cars to vacations to college tuition. That money is now gone.

Remember whether you consider it "paper value" or "real value", money all spends the same. If you extract 200k from your house and spend it, it doesn't matter very much what kind of "value" that is.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:48 PM

635 posts, read 1,686,497 times
Quote:
I never really understood this (not that I disagree...I just don't understand.)

Assume you borrow as much as you can afford, assume fixed. Assume the bank won't let your payments be more than 30% of your salary. For numbers say you make $50K and the bank will loan you no more than $200K because you don't have the cash flow to borrow more - read again - because you don't have the cash flow to borrow more. It's all based on that 30%. Remember, we're talking fixed rates.

Now, say your house appreciates on paper to $500K. You still make $50K. You are still paying as much as you can afford towards that $200K loan. You are still constrained to that 30%.

How do you borrow more money based on the home equity? If you were to borrow more money your payments would have to go up. But you are already maxed out in cash flow - you can't borrow more.

So, what does increased home equity have to do with it? Nothing unless one or more of these things happen: The bank lets you go above the 30% constraint (which would mean higher monthly payments with the same salary); interest rates go down (so you can borrow more for the same payment), your income increases (so you can borrow more money because you pay higher payments)....I can't think of any more...

But the explanation we always read about (and is referenced by the poster I quoted), is that you can borrow more ("Home Equity ATM") because of increased home equity. The math doesn't support this. Maybe I'm missing something.
Awesome chart!! Good points - add to the above no doc loans

Now lets say, they lied, okay, strong word, inflated their actual income figure. Add to that they just moved out of the house for the first time (or just never owned a home so have no idea what the numbers really mean), been on their job not too long (or the many variables to conclude in disaster) and have no real financial track record. Add to that their house appreciates, they take a equity loan and do what everyone's said above, borrow and buy toys. Add that they are not even paying on the principal actually, but just the interest/fees. Now, the bubble bursts, they never could afford the house, they never paid on the principal, they have extra debt with the high end toys (hummer, bmw, jet skis, vacation to puerto vallarta, cancun, blah, blah, blah), and voila! We throw the ugly wig on the floor.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You based your entire argument on bank limits that got tossed out the window starting in late 2004 and continuing through much of 2007. That's what you're missing.
So the lender's criteria in 2002 was 30% and by 2005 the lender's criteria increased? That is, the banks will allow the borrower pay a higher percentage of his salary than they would had his house not appreciated (on paper)?

If so, I don't think I missed it:

Quote:
So, what does increased home equity have to do with it? Nothing unless one or more of these things happen:The bank lets you go above the 30% constraint
That makes sense, and I sort of figured that all along. The lenders figure with all that equity they can still recoup their loan amount if the borrow cannot meet payments.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
That makes sense, and I sort of figured that all along. The lenders figure with all that equity they can still recoup their loan amount if the borrow cannot meet payments.
The lenders had excess money to lend and huge demand for the money, so they lent it. Along the way they didn't really care about how it got repaid.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:05 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
So the lender's criteria in 2002 was 30% and by 2005 the lender's criteria increased? That is, the banks will allow the borrower pay a higher percentage of his salary than they would had his house not appreciated (on paper)?

If so, I don't think I missed it:

One more piece of the puzzle... there was an explosion of variable rate loans with very low teaser rates and some fixed rate loans at artificially low rates for 3 and even 5 years...

Also the appraisals were starting to become drive-by appraisals... not the go out and measure the square footage and examine the home's condition in detail appraisals of the past.

Appreciation was reflected in higher appraisal values and the low teaser loan rates let people "Qualify" for loans based on payments that did not begin to cover the principal and interest... let alone market interest in many cases.

Lots of folks did interest only loans too.

Remember... variable interest loan resets are what started the downward spiral... as the loans reset to market rate... many people found they could no longer afford the payments and as home prices declined... many people no longer had the desire to hang on when they could rent the same home in the same neighborhood for 1/3 to 1/2 the true cost of being a homeowner.

At least this is the case for about a dozen of my co-workers that bought and lost their homes all in the last 6 or so years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California