Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 AM

3,196 posts, read 5,394,316 times

Advertisements

The unemployment rate is so high ONLY because there are more willing workers than jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 05:33 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,292,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAnomie View Post
If you are asking that question, then chances are that your median income and education are well above average.

I am amazed at the number of well-educated, affluent Californians (including family members of mine) who don't realize the gravity of what has been happening to their state over many years. Is it the copious sunshine or the contagious optimism? The buffer of having great world-class universities and exciting cutting-edge industries? What is it in the water over there?

We east coasters are often far less sanguine.
I notice you live in Maryland which is also having budget problems so, you have a grave situation of your own.

For eight years I lived in the DC metro area not far from Maryland and yes, the copious sunshine and California optimism is contagious. Maybe east coasters are far less sanguine because of the horrible winters there. The day I decided to move to California was the day I was driving through a miserable east coast blizzard. I just couldn't take it anymore.

I am an RN, btw so yes, my education and income is above average. However, it wasn't when I first moved to this state. The reason? I was able to obtain my RN education through the California community college system for free. This state gave me great opportunities and a great future so, maybe that's why I believe in it so much.

Last edited by sheri257; 01-30-2009 at 05:52 AM..

Old 01-31-2009, 12:31 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Another component of the California problem (I heard this on the radio or TV a few months back):

California has a lot of wealthy investors. Investments like hedge funds and the stock markets were big losers for the last year so these investors will not be paying capital gains taxes and have had to cut back on their lavish lifestyles (which might include surfboards ). The crappy year for the wealthy is another reason California is facing a huge deficit -- most taxes are collected from the rich.

On top of the bad year in the stock markets and the failure of all those mortgage "derivative products," you can now add in all the Ponzi schemes (like Bernie Madoff) that are just coming to light.

There has been a huge amount of wealth lost in California in the last year. Everyone has been losing money. Not just the spenders but the savers too.

Of course, I see Californians as being eternally optimistic and creative, and I believe this state will be able to dig itself out of this hole just like it's dug itself out of every other hole (the end of the Gold Rush, the aerospace exodus, the dotcom implosion, etc.). Fortunately, we have a tremendous diversity in both people and land and we'll find things that will put us back on top. Keep the faith.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:34 AM

635 posts, read 1,686,161 times
::standing applause::

Old 12-22-2009, 04:13 PM

6 posts, read 16,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Another component of the California problem (I heard this on the radio or TV a few months back):

California has a lot of wealthy investors. Investments like hedge funds and the stock markets were big losers for the last year so these investors will not be paying capital gains taxes and have had to cut back on their lavish lifestyles (which might include surfboards ). The crappy year for the wealthy is another reason California is facing a huge deficit -- most taxes are collected from the rich.

On top of the bad year in the stock markets and the failure of all those mortgage "derivative products," you can now add in all the Ponzi schemes (like Bernie Madoff) that are just coming to light.

There has been a huge amount of wealth lost in California in the last year. Everyone has been losing money. Not just the spenders but the savers too.

Of course, I see Californians as being eternally optimistic and creative, and I believe this state will be able to dig itself out of this hole just like it's dug itself out of every other hole (the end of the Gold Rush, the aerospace exodus, the dotcom implosion, etc.). Fortunately, we have a tremendous diversity in both people and land and we'll find things that will put us back on top. Keep the faith.
I think you hit the nail on the head, even now when the economy might start to show signs of rebounding.

-jill

Old 12-23-2009, 10:18 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,237,050 times
Anyone who wants a job can probably find one in Northern Virginia. Unemployment there is now only 4.7%.

Virginia Business - News: Virginia hits lowest unemployment rate in 2009

Old 12-25-2009, 07:01 PM

458 posts, read 776,551 times
Pretty Simple...
  • High state income tax rates
  • High workers comp insurance rates
  • High rates for business insurance do to litigious nature of Californians
  • Higher wages than most other states

Add it all together and California businesses have a higher cost of doing business than most other states. When things get tough they have to let people more quickly. Add to that a totally inept state legislature and you have your current mess.

States like Texas that are riding out the economic downturn better don't have these burdens to the degree California does.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:39 AM

1,420 posts, read 3,183,395 times
California added 39,800 jobs, state unemployment rate falls to 8.7% - latimes.com

Old 11-22-2013, 10:56 AM

20 posts, read 24,175 times
Because people are freaking lazy and would rather live off the government. It's that simple.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:10 AM

542 posts, read 1,548,277 times
Wow, our unemployment rate is only 1.4 percentage points higher than the national average. And over a quarter of those jobs added in CA were government jobs (i.e., they cost us money). Another great success story for the anti-business climate of CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California